Anyone doing GL Diet

Drench

Hi there.

I have been doing a lot of reading recently GI v GL and for me GL has the advantage. But there doesn't seem to be a lot of people doing it and I was wondering why or are you all hiding!

I am going to start it in the next couple of weeks. I am currently doing a Food replacement diet and I am nearly at target weight but obviously need something long term to maintain.

Looking forward to all GLers coming out of the woodwork and giving me some hints and tips and recipes!

Kelly xxxx

Oh Joy of Joys!!! Here I was thinking no one is ever on this forum!! I have done Lipotrim for six months and have lost over 80lbs on it. I still need to lose another two stone. I felt I should rejoin the world of food and try and lose the rest on a plan that will stay with me for life!!!! A big ask but there you go!!
Anyway, I have read a good bit on GI/GL and have opted to follow a GL plan. I got a couple of Patrick Holford's books and am trying to broadly follow his regime.
I have had a lot of outings over the last few weeks and am happy to have not gained overall. I am down 2lbs this morning!!
My basic rule is no( or almost no) bread,potato,pasta or rice. I have lentil curries or use quinoa as a substitute for rice or pasta.
I also am very careful on portion sizes. I am weighing everything at the moment as I think this is the best way to really learn how much you are having.
Have you a particular plan in mind? Like myself, having come off a tfr programme and straight onto this one should make it a bit easier to adjust.
lots of luck and hope to see more of you on here.

Fancy bumping into you on here Molly! I am searching for more info on GI because I just don't get the whole 'maintenance products' on LT just yet. So now I have to find out what the diff is between GI and GL!!?

Heeelllppp...

Lisa x

Hi Lisa, you are nearly at goal now and well done to you. It is a bit of a minefield to know which way to go.
I'd suggest doing a very careful refeed, stick to the refeed sheet and do not vary it. GI/GL is a good way to go imo. GL is basically a refined version of GI. GI calculates the load of a whole food whereas GL calculates the load of a portion of the food. For example the GI of a pineapple would be high but no one eats a whole pineapple. Therefore the GL of a pineapple is lower.
There are lots of books on GI/GL. You have Nigel Denby, Rick Gallop and Patrick Holford to name a few. All of them are good. I am following Patrick Holford and find his programme easy to follow. It is easy to get into it as you are moving from TFR to the GL programme so the bad habits are already gone.
The principles are simple enough. Drastically reduce or cut out altogether, bread,potatos,pasta and rice. You can have a little rye bread, spelt bread or occasionally wholemeal bread. Quinoa is what you use instead of rice/potatoes. chick peas, cannelini beans, lentils are all low GL and very filling. I am loving lentil curry at the minute!!
Apart from that, you just need to be very,very careful about portion sizes. Weigh everything till you get used to the look of a portion. Your plate should have half green veg or salad, quarter starchy veg,quarter protein.
I hope this ramble helps. If I can answer anything else for you just shout!!! lots of luck

GL diet - I've tried it a few times in the last couple of years. I've been using the dietfreedom website, that links to the Nigel Denby books. There are some great recipes there (you have to pay for access to some parts of the website) and there is a forum that used to be fantastic, really busy and chatty, but seems to have ground to a total halt, so I'm looking for somewhere else to talk GL.
I like Nigel's diet freedom approach - no weighing or measuring, no points counting like Patrick Holford, which for me is not sustainable - I want something I can do for life, so counting and calculating is out for me. It does make it less strict I guess, so may take longer to get there, but it feels less restrictive to me. I've been back on the GL wagon for 3 weeks, and have been exercising too, and I've lost half a stone, which is really quick for me. I'm aiming to keep to around a 2lb a week loss for a big holiday in August - fingers crossed!

If anyone wants specific recipes, I'll check the dietfreedom website. And the lentil curry sounds great - can we get the recipe for that?

Kate

Nigel Denby, sounds interesting too. I like the idea of the traffic light system.
The lentil curry is very simple, this makes four portions:
300g lentils
600 ml water
1 large onion
1 red pepper
4 garlic cloves crushed
1 chilli finely chopped
1 vegetable or chicken stock cube
1 400g can chopped tomatoes
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander .

Put the lentils in the water with the onion, garlic,chilli and stock cube.
Bring to the boil and cook for ten minutes
Add tomatoes,cumin,coriander, chopped pepper.
Cook for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Stir in a tablespoon of creme fraiche to make it creamy.
This works out at about 7GL per portion. You can add 35g of quinoa(dry weight) to make a very filling dinner.
You could add some celery or carrots to this if you wish.
Any recipes on Nigel denby's site for rye bread without yeast??

Hi Molly, thanks for the recipe - I'll definitely be trying it! By the way you mention quinoa (my kids call it 'eyeballs!) - the Nigel Denby books recommend couscous rather than quinoa, as it has a lower GL - I think quinoa is one of those odd ones that looks OK when you look at the GI but is not so good on GL. The book says 30g dry weight is 9 GL. Bulgur wheat is also recommended.

You asked about rye bread -yeast - sorry, can't find one, but there is a great gram bread recipe that I've done and everyone loved them. I put some black onion seeds in mine - there are some other variations at the bottom of the recipe. Hope they are of some use. By the way, well done on your weight loss this week!

Kate

Gram Flour Flatbreads

Serves : 4
Ready In : 20 minutes or less

Ingredients

• 100g gram flour
  • Pinch of salt
  • 110ml water
  • Olive oil for frying
Instructions

1. Mix all ingredients together (not the oil) until you have a smooth batter.
  2. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
  3. Lightly oil your frying pan and heat on the hob (as if making pancakes).
  4. Pour 2 - 3 spoonfuls of the batter into the hot pan, and spread with the back of a spoon.
  5. When a nice light brown underneath flip over.
  6. Serve warm or cold, and can be stored in an airtight tin for a few days, though they do not keep as soft as breads that contain gluten.
We don’t usually add salt to any of our recipes, but with breads and some flours it really needs a little bit to help the process along.

We think that the addition of a pinch of spice or herbs to the mix will add lovely flavour and interest too.

You can use this recipe with other flours, we're going to try it with stoneground spelt and see how it goes!

Gram and other speciality flours are widely available in supermarkets and health food shops, or you can get them online at Goodness Foods.

We're getting good feedback on these wraps.

Diet Freedom member Simon says:
"I tried the gram flour flatbreads and added some dried parsley, a really good grinding of black pepper and a sprinkling of chilli powder. Really tasty with just a little kick to it."

Diet Freedom member Claire says:
"These are just great brushed with a little garlic infused olive oil too!"

Janet popped over an email to let us know that she found the batter to be quite thick and added more than 110ml water.

Last edited by a moderator:
Must that flat bread recipe. Thanks for that. As regards the quinoa, Patrick Holford's book recommends it as it is protein rich. He says that for 7GL you can have 65g of quinoa as opposed to 25g of couscous. I guess it depends on whose book you follow!!! I think I read somewhere that the caculation is not always that precise.
I always liked couscous but have to admit I now really like quinoa. Never had it before GL!!! Anyway, now I think I'll have more couscous from what you have told me, as I have a couple of packets in the cupboard.

Back