Anyone doing or done DIET CHEF?

I also strayed a little last night. Partner wanted to eat out, so we went to the Beefeater and I had melon, steak & salad (which isn't too bad). I did finish with a fruit sundae, though!!

However, when I lost a stone last year we did Beefeater fairly regularly at weekends (and even Pizza Hut sometimes when his kids were over) plus Sunday dinner at my parents', and I still lost the weight by being strict in the week... so I'm not going to stress too much about it. It has certainly reduced my weight loss for the end of the week (only 1lb in the last 3 days, as opposed to 3lb the first 3 days).
Still, even with a meal out, I've lost 4lb in 6 days, so it's heading in the right direction and is actually quite enjoyable. I look forward to choosing my next day's meals instead of being bored & resentful of people eating "normal" food, as I would on a regular diet.

That is very good in six days Fleabag. I have consoled myself that anything in the right direction can't be bad.

Wish the stats here would let us record a ½lb. My Ticker & stats don't agree.

Last edited:
I think one great advantage of buying this diet 5 weeks in advance is that it does focus you a bit more than if you were buying it day-to-day. When spending up to £190 for a diet, you want to make sure you don't waste the money (even if it is only psychological, as you'd be spending a similar amount on regular food). It also means you don't run out of healthy options in the house and have to resort to whatever's in.

I have WiiFit plus, so am recording my weight and waist measurements on this (lost 5cm off my waist). The graph is a really useful tool to boost your resolve and monitor progress.

Does anyone get put off the smell of the food when it comes out of the packet?

When I had my first main meal I almost gagged and it always makes me hold my breath.

That said, it generally tastes good and i'm impressed by the list of good ingredients.

I wonder if its just me with the smell :(

What are everyones losses like?

Hiya, which one didn't you like the smell of? I think the only one with me is the Paella that smelled strange but tasted delicious :)

Hiya everyone!!

How are we all getting on? I've had a huge 1lb weight loss this week which I am soooooooo happy with after drinking LOTS of alcohol last weekend and this weekend. Just going to have to be extra good during the week to make up for it! Definately noticing the loss though now :)

The macaroni cheese is DELICIOUS!! Also, somebody said about not liking the pork meatballs. I'm the same, but the beef one is gorgeous! I think the first month is just finding out what you do and don't like.

Has anybody had the pasta and bean salad yet?

xx

Yes, exactly. I ordered some things that aren't my favourite dishes but wanted a really wide range so I could test as many as possible (and not be left with a mountain of one meal I thought I'd like, but didn't).

I ordered one beef meatballs, so will test that one out. Macaroni's definitely my favourite so far, and will be ordering a few of those next month. Not quite sure why I ordered Tuna Rigatoni.... I don't like tuna... but I'll give it a go.

I'd recommend saving Chorizo & Bean soup for days when you feel extra hungry, as it's more of a stew than a soup... very nice and very filling.

I did really well on my first Sunday dinner on DC. I'd asked Mum to cook veg without oils and to serve a pudding I wouldn't like (not sure if my resolve could hold if she brought out sticky toffee cheesecake!). I had Chicken Fricassee with veg & fruit salad for pud & managed to keep off the roasties and stuffing. Not that their turkey would've been really bad, but not so appetising without gravy!
She did cook some of the veg with a bit of olive oil.... she's still in training!
Had a bad day today, as I had to travel to Yorkshire for a presentation. They laid on a lunch so I couldn't have my DC. Lunch was nice, but not particularly healthy. I felt a bit off colour when I got home (probably the early start rather than the food), so I didn't bother with any food for the rest of the day.
Though I can find it hard to get motivated to diet properly, when I do, I hate being forced to spoil the good work, as I've been sticking to it really well.

Hiya, which one didn't you like the smell of? I think the only one with me is the Paella that smelled strange but tasted delicious :)

It was the tomato and pasta I think that first smelt bad and then I couldn't even stomach eating the Thai chicken soup, it went in the bin.

I am fussy though so it may just be me. The range of foods I eat has deminished over the years - hopefully this will improve.

Has anyone had the new bean salad option?

I'll not be ordering the Mushroom Risotto or Pork Meatballs again, I shall be trying the Beef meatballs this evening. I can't think of any others I really dislike.

I didn't mind the mushroom risotto, but I agree about the pork meatballs. That's the only one I really wasn't keen on.

had the pasta bolognese for lunch, that was very nice and full of meat. Just had the mushroom soup which was gorgeous. One thing that's really noticable about all the dishes are that they taste like real homemade versions, not processed like most frozen/packet food.

I've had an odd week. I'd lost 6lb in the first 6 days, so was really positive. I accepted the loss would slow, but hoped I might get another high loss week before it went down to 2lb a week or so.
I weighed myself on Wednesday and had PUT ON 3lb! Granted, it was the evening (previous weigh-in had been Sunday morning), but I was really disheartened having stuck so strictly to the diet. I weighed myself again yesterday, hoping it had been something of a blip.... but had gained ANOTHER lb!! Today 2lb have come off again, but it still leaves me only 4lb lighter than when I started 12 days ago.
I'll be completely honest about the extra things I've eaten over the 12 days:
a few chocolates I had left from my "last binge" (even though I rarely eat them usually)
one chocolate at work
one sugared coffee the day I didn't have sweeteners with me
One 3 inch easter egg (plain chocolate)
a bag of peanuts (probably the worst sin)
One chedder biscuit

That is, honestly, all the cheats I've done, and most of those BEFORE the first 4lb came off.

In addition to this, I allow myself one coffee per day with sweetener and coffeemate, but as I don't have my milk allowance, I'm sure it doesn't exceed permitted calorie extras. My other hot drinks are herbal teas.

I do have wine fairly regularly, but it is red and usually only one glass.

I'm trying not to be too disheartened by the slow loss. It's a low calorie diet so it must start to come off eventually. The food is really good and I look forward to trying the next dish. There are occasions when I'd love to snack on something in the evening... but I've been really strict with myself.... despite everyone around me scoffing cheeseburger crisps!

Fleabag, I've had no loss this week but I was very naughty last Sunday when I enjoyed my DiL's cooking too much.
I check my calories on Food Focus & I have been having more than the 1200 cal's allowed. I honestly think 1200 is rather strict for me & realize that by eating more I shall lose weight more slowly. Hopefully it will be a slow but sure weight loss. :)

I've been really good almost all the time. Went out today with OH and his kids to a triathalon (I wasn't participating, just holding the dog!)... I took a ginger bar for breakfast and passed on the hotdogs, sausage butties etc (even torturously refusing the free pork crackling at the hog roast stall)... came home and had the Spicy Beef & Tomato soup (nice, but a bit too tomatoey for me).
This evening they'll be having takaway, so I'll probably order a salad to have with one of my DC meals. Tomorrow I'll be doing like last week, having a DC meal with the veg at Mum's Sunday dinner.
It is a bit soul-destroying, though, when you make so many sacrifices and don't receive the reward you deserve for your efforts. My old scales did indicate some more may have come off, but I'll wait until I get back on the Wii for official data!

OK, have made up the inexplicable gain of midweek. Now back to 6lb down since starting.

I feel a bit better for that, but still disappointed that I haven't actually lost any since last Sunday. Anyway, hopefully a biological anomoly that I shall overcome in the coming weeks.

Strangely, this 2lb loss since Friday comes AFTER probably my worst sin of the fortnight.... which was what remained of stepson's prawn toast last night because:
a) No-one else likes it
b) I hate waste
c) I'd been ever so good having my DC meal with a small salad plus a little takeaway bonus of crab & sweetcorn soup (the DC book does recommend chinese soups as being a healthy option!).

I was very good today... Beef in Black Porter with veg and stawberries to follow.

I have to say, the food tastes so good, fresh and homemade that I don't feel cheated at mealtimes, I just miss the chance to snack a bit when others around me do... like a few sweets, popcorn etc in the evenings with a film. Supermarkets are really poor for offering sugar-free sweets (a problem we've had for a long time, with my OH being diabetic).

Last edited:
Hi both, I am usually an evening snack eater too, I keep one fruit & my snack bar for evenings. My greatest sin is that I have cream in my coffee - bad, I know. I allow my self 60ml of cream per day for coffees, which amounts to 263cal's. If I could persuade myself that I like my coffee (Nescafe') black or skipped it altogether I'd be within my 1200cal's but at the moment, I can't even think about it.. :(

Hi Fleabag! Dont be disheartened by the weight loss. I have weighed myself at different times of the week and had different weights so I am now a Saturday morning weigher haha! I haven't weighed myself this week though as I have been away and have been drinking lots of naughty things but I am back on track now so might give it a week or so before I weigh myself so as not to be disheartened!! I agree with the not feeling like you are on a diet comment!

At night I usually have the Diet Chef snack and lots of fruit like strawberries, blueberries and grapes! I have also had a couple of the options hot chocolates. They are soooooo nice and give you a sweet fix. They come in sachets and you just add hot water. Good if you are craving something chocolatey :)

Hope everyone has had a good weekend!! x

I'm trying to have some fruit in to snack on when I need something sweet, though we tend to only shop weekly, so I do sometimes run out. To be honest, I'm probably eating a little less than I should on the whole, as I'm not always adding the recommended amounts of fruit/veg... but do often add some tomatoes to a meal and snack on fruit.

I also don't add any additional carbs to the meals, as I had such success last year by just limiting carbs and fats... I feel quite sure that my usual (or rather "old") diet contained far too many carbs for my activity levels. Today I had the bolognese, which was just meat & beans and was only 82 cals. Having missed breakfast, I was hungry so spoiled myself to a granola (dry) and cheese oat bakes for afters

I absolutely adore bread, especially freshly-baked crusty white bread... but I haven't eaten any since starting DC

Hi Fleabag, Did you have the DC Bolognese, it has 246 calories or was it home made? The granola is nice dry isn't it, I like the Pecan one.
My weight is yo-yoing too, I'm putting it down to fluid retention in this warm weather.

DC Bolognese.... I checked the back and I was sure it said 82..... maybe that was per 100g. Can't check now, only had one pack

DC Bolognese.... I checked the back and I was sure it said 82..... maybe that was per 100g. Can't check now, only had one pack

It is per 100gm. If you go to the DC site, click on Food/Dinner etc - each food shows it's calories.

Back