Anyone else feel intimidated by competition at group?

- - -
I find it hard as people in group notice when I have a smaller but still very healthy loss. I feel pressure from knowing they will notice; to tell them every week I have lost at least 2lbs. When I have a 1lb or 1.5lbs loss at points I've even had some say well it least it's in the right direction as if it wasn't a good loss.

Maybe they are only saying this because they can see how intensely you feel about it. From what you have said I think it is you putting the pressure on yourself, and if the other members are picking up on this they might feel that you need reassurance - you may feel that they are saying the wrong thing, but they probably mean well.

If you could maybe lighten up a bit, then so would they?

When I went to class the last time round, about 4 years ago I was frequently SOTW - partly because I had a LOT to lose - I was almost 26 stone - and partly because I tried bloody hard to lose weight, sticking to the plan and exercising. Most people in my group were genuinely lovely, but unfortunately a few used to snipe a lot about me, on the "oh here we go, her again", "lucky cow" etc etc etc.

This time round Im doing it at home on my own so there's none of this stupid competition and nastiness. SOTW is supposed to be a reward to people who have done well, at most an incentive or aid to motivate people - its not a bloody competition. Im not sure its a good idea at all as it's not a very logical way of rewarding very different people who have very different goals and very different journeys they've got to make to meet them. I used to sort of feel ashamed when I *did* get SOTW as if Id been too successful or didn't deserve it or something. I guess we're all different but for me it was often a relief *not* to win it.

I dont really understand feeling intimidated that you "haven't done well enough" when you don't win it? :confused: That sound more like you yourself see it as a competition and are upset when other people do "outdo" you and you're still seeking some kind of reward or acknowledgment for what you have achieved that week, even if it's occasionally not as much as what that weeks SOTW has.

Sorry if I've misinterpreted anything. Sheesh, looking back at it I hated the competitiveness and Im kind of glad to be back here doing it online on my own :)

My group is not very big about 12-15 people.

I have only been Slimmer of the Week once, but have to say that I am very happy for whoever gets it.

I also find it quite motivational for the next week. x

Back