anyone intereseted in a walking challenge?

rhuba

i really don't know life
i got a pedometer from amazon last week, and although there's a walking challenge in the challenges forum, they're all on weightwatchers and do things in point form. i was just wondering if anyone else fancied being my walking buddy?

i'm at a desk all day and very concious of how few steps i take per day - apparently 10,000 a day is for normal, healthy people and if you want to lose a little weight with it you should up to about 12,000. i reckon that on a normal day (when i dont go to the gym) i probably dont even make 3000 :eek:.

if anyone's up for it, my pedometer is from amazon - an omron walking style II and only cost £12.

it's reeeeally good. it counts every step you do, and has different modes - it differentiates between aerobic steps (ie. exercise) and normal steps, and also shows how many calories you've burnt off just from walking.

so, what i propose to do is set myself a weekly, rather than daily, target of steps - i always walk more at weekends and aim to use it as extra exercise (on top of my thrice weekly gym visits) any one wana join? i need people to bounce ideas off!!

-rhuba :) xx

I'll join you - I've got to dig out my pedometer - will do that today, so when do you want to start and what are we aiming for?

10,000 a day will be 70,000 (supposed to be the equivalent of 5 miles)
12,000 a day will be 84,000
Or if we can manage a whopping 100000, that'll be an average of 14285.7 a day (don't forget the .7!!!) or the equivalent of walking nearly 7.5 miles a day! Perhaps we should build up to that :) (although your Snowdon trip would go some way towards it...)

I remember when I was getting my 10,000 in. If I was short in the evening I used to have a little boogie whilst my tea was cooking :)

ill join to, i was using it every day for quite some time and have just all of a sudden stopped. yep i also used to run on the spot/dance in order to up my steps. my family would laugh at me :)

how about we all write our names down [like in the mini challenge] and at the end of each day write how many steps we have done, then at end of the week we can add it all up...

ill find my pedometer later today...
decision 1, do you take it off when you exercise? personally i take it off as otherwise you count those calories twice... what do you think

Rhuba! Ive also ordered the same pedometer from amazon 2 days ago. Saw it on one of the forum pages! Unfortunatly it hasnt arrived yet! Hopefully it arrives sometime this week.. If so, count me in!

yay! i have walking buddies!

i keep mine on while at the gym, but my goal is higher on gym days - instead of 10,000 i want to do 12,000 on gym days. i keep my food cals the same regardless of whether i'm at the gym or not, so i don't really count what i'm burning off.

i walk loooads at weekends, so that's why i suggested a weekly goal. i guess we can do our own thing, but just record the results here and give each other tips on how to up our steps.

i went on a walk at lunch time today (a different route to yesterday) it feels so good to get out instead of sitting at my desk. plus it makes me actually take a proper break! so far i'm on 5,138 steps today and am going to the gym later on, so hopefully i can up that a bit more, then a nice walk after the footie match will get me to 12,000 :)

welcome aboard the walking challenge!

Okay, are we all going to start on the same day and then post our results on the same day?

I'm going to go for 7000 steps for the first week - should be fine to achieve, and then I'm going to try and up it by 1000 a week until I reach the golden 100,000! I will include exercise.

FGS - 7000

we should probably begin at the start of the week, or it might get a bit confusing! shall we start officially next monday (1st) but track it provisionally until then?

we can post our results on a monday (and maybe have a format where we put mon : ...steps, tues...steps etc then our totals - that way we can see the pattern of how many steps we do, and where we may be able to add extra ones in to get to our targets!)

my goal is 80,000 per week to begin with, and i'd love to build up to 100,000 eventually as well. if i end up doing more than 80,000 then i'll revise my target :)

Hey everyone, my pedometer arrived today and i went for an hour walk. I made only 2237 steps. Thats useless! I dont think il even be able to walk 5000 steps. I was sweating after that hour. But i think i would have walked more if it wasnt time for my sons feed. Im stil going to walk, better than me sitting at home thinking about food!

you don't switch it off hun. my pedometer seems pretty accurate and i think we have the same one.

i was walking for an hour and a half last night and did about 9,000. how quickly were you walking? did you put in an accurate average stride length?

hope it starts working soon :)

x

you don't switch it off hun. my pedometer seems pretty accurate and i think we have the same one.

i was walking for an hour and a half last night and did about 9,000. how quickly were you walking? did you put in an accurate average stride length?

hope it starts working soon :)

x

I dont walk super fast and i certainly dont walk slow. Im guessing that i just dont walk enough lol. Should the stride length be set at 30cm? Btw i have the white pedometer with yellow buttons. Sounds ugly but its really cute :D

i found mine today yeppie. so ill do a test day tomoro. i know when im not working and at home all day i do about 4ooosteps and on a work day i get to 8ooo so i just need to step up a gear so i hit 10ooo consistently , even if it means dancing in the living room

Stride length 30cm seems quite low (consider the length of a school ruler - that's 30cm). Take 10 "normal" steps from a point and then measure to where you ended up, divide by 10. Mine came out at 75 cm, but I knocked it down to 65 because I know it's less if I'm pottering or walking with the kids.

Found my pedometer at the bottom of my washing basket (!), but it's broken - stuck on 30 steps. Am heading into town now to buy a flashy new one!

my stride length is still athte default value. i think im more interested in the steps i take rather then the distance i travel.

been wearing it today and got to 2000 by 5pm not good eh. so i decided to walk to the butchers and then went for a run in the park. have got to 8500 now tho! woop woop

Stride length 30cm seems quite low (consider the length of a school ruler - that's 30cm). Take 10 "normal" steps from a point and then measure to where you ended up, divide by 10. Mine came out at 75 cm, but I knocked it down to 65 because I know it's less if I'm pottering or walking with the kids.

Found my pedometer at the bottom of my washing basket (!), but it's broken - stuck on 30 steps. Am heading into town now to buy a flashy new one!

Thanks for that! I hope thats where i been going wrong.

right, day one of the challenge guys. have we all set ourselves mini targets? i reckon we just post daily what we've done then tot up our totals at the end of the week?

i reckon a daily post will keep us all motivated to do more steps. i went for a couple of rambles at the weekend and clocked up over 23,000 steps on saturday and 16,00 yesterday!! couldn't believe it!

good luck everyone! get those steps in!!

rhuba xx

Back