Anyone stopped going SW club and still carried on?

Paul_Farnham_uk

Hiya guys

I have kinda decided that i am not getting anything out of going for weekly weigh ins at the class and so have decided to carry on following the plan from home.

Has anyone done this successfully? or does it fall by the wayside?

I cant really afford to be throwing away £5 per week at the moment and i never stick around for the meetings as i find them a bit pointless to be honest.

Would be interested to hear if anyone managed to continue on to lose weight without the groups?

Thanks

Paul

Plenty do and succeed. I tried it and found that I need the 'official' weekly WI to keep me on track. It works for some but not for others and you have to work out which is best for you. I don't consider it £4.50 wasted, I consider it an investment for a happier, healthier future

I'm the same as Taz, I found I soon fell off plan completely when I tried going it alone and have better losses when I go to class and stay. Everyone is different though and you have to do what suits you best. Good luck in whatever you decide

I find I need to go to class for a bit of a boot up the bum.

You have done really well so far Paul, good luck xoxox

Hi Paul,

I have been doing the SW plan from home since 11th November and it works for me. Yes, like anyone, I have the occasional hiccup, but Im straight back on it again to limit the damage.
I cant afford the £5 a week either and if you feel that you are determined and motivated enough to carry it on at home alone, then thats the option for you. As you have already said, you dont stay for Image Therapy anyway, so what are you really benefitting from?
When I did go to SW classes, I did stay and it did help with recipe ideas, but then thats why I come on here.

Hiya hon,

Thank god! i was beginning to think i was alone in this, would you be interested in being a diet buddy?

We could do a weekly weigh in between us and maybe others who are doing it this way too?

Would be kinda the same for me as going for a weigh in at the club if i had someone to share results with

Let me know what you think hon

Paul

Hi Paul,

I have been doing the SW plan from home since 11th November and it works for me. Yes, like anyone, I have the occasional hiccup, but Im straight back on it again to limit the damage.
I cant afford the £5 a week either and if you feel that you are determined and motivated enough to carry it on at home alone, then thats the option for you. As you have already said, you dont stay for Image Therapy anyway, so what are you really benefitting from?
When I did go to SW classes, I did stay and it did help with recipe ideas, but then thats why I come on here.

Like so many of the responses already, I need to go to class to keep motivated and I enjoy staying to Image Therapy to hear about how other people have coped in the previous week and also to glean hints and tips if they have had a good weight loss.
I think your classes are what you make them, if you don't contribute then you will find them boring..
IMHO

Thats fine with me!!! Lol.
I find that keeping a diary on here helps as well, at least you have a record of what you are eating and we can have a look and give you some advice and support if you are struggling.

Ok how should we do it?

Set up a diary? and both post our weigh ins on maybe a saturday or sunday each week?

My wife is also doing it so will post here results too :)

or would you prefer to email each other during the week or something?

We can email each other if you like?, or set up a weight loss diary with thoughts, support etc.
I weigh on a Monday morning.

Hi Paul, I am doing this myself from home aswell and have lost 1st 10lbs since 7th Jan, my reason for this is because I have been to classes in the past always believeing I needed the support and the threat of getting on the scales to keep me on track, but as we all know to successfully lose weight and keep it off, it has to be a lifelong lifestyle and diet change, and I don't see going to class for a weigh in every week as something I want to do for the rest of my life!!!

So, this time, I made the conscious decision that I have to take control of my diet, I have to learn to make those decisions about keeping my weight under control or not, I know the plan inside out from doing it so many times before, I am doing this for me, not for other members in a class to give me a clap for doing well each week! so for that reason alone I don't need the class and can stay on track and focussed at home, yes I guess it's easier to fall by the wayside if you're going it alone but you have to weigh up what's important, if losing weight is important to you, you will do it with or without going to class.

I think the classes are great if you are completely new to SW, don't really know the plan or how it works, but I know it inside out having done it on and off for the last 10 years so I don't need to go to class for that.

I just think that you have to take responsibility for yourself, going to a class doesn't help with that, in a lot of ways it's easy to lose weight, keeping it off is the hard bit, that's the point where most people stop going to class and then regain it all (I have done so myself so many times), this time, I am hoping because I am doing this alone and being more relaxed about it, that point won't come where I get to target and stop going to class, as the only person who knows when I get to target is me (and my close family), I don't need ither people's praise and approval of my efforts as I am doing this just for me, and me alone

i have done slimming world twice my first class was so dull after half a stone i gave up tried to stick to plan but it didn't work i changed class and now i love my weigh ins my instructor is ace and it makes it so much more worth paying the £5 pound for plus the money is an incentive.

I have, in the past done it both ways.....attending class and on my own. And I have lost weight both ways...
I think it just depends on what kind of person you are. Some need the structure of a class and the thought of being weighed by someone else is enough to keep them on track.
I know for me at the moment, I need to attend a class. Prior to rejoining, I was following sw on my own and it just wasn't working for me. I came to the conclusion that having followed sooo many diets over the years that I had wrecked my metabolism and sw would no longer work.
However, I joined yet another class(!) and the weight started to drop! I figure that when I'm doing it on my own, I'm more lax and have the odd 'naughty' foods because I am not answerable to anyone, only myself......knowing I have to go and be weighed definitely makes me more aware of what I am putting in my mouth....but thats just me!
Also, the class I go to now is great, by far the best one I have ever been to, and there have been a few over the years!!! I think it makes all the difference.

Ok Mrs V :)

My email address at work is [email protected]

Lets email each other on a monday afternoon with our wi results

If you wanna do a diary thats cool too

If anyone else wants to join us in this let me know.

Ping me an email over so i have yours too hon :)

Just emailed you!

Hi Paul,

I do my weigh ins from home cos I am a skinflint and can't afford it, plus I had a few problems with the consultant being clicky with her friends and ignoring everyone else. I find that I can cope because like Mrs V I get new recipes from here and also when I have a blip I get the support I need to get back on track.

If you are wanting support and to trade weigh in results you are welcome in the Weighty Matey's. It's in the teams board and we are just basically a group of people who report our weigh in results and are there for each other support wise etc, Mrs V is a Weighty Matey too. :)

Hi Paul,

I have been doing slimming world from the 5th of January without going to class and have managed to lose 2 stone 9 pounds. I didn't really enjoy the class thing and thought i would invest my money in some decent scales so that i could weigh in at home. I still fill in my book that i recieved the last time i did go to class and only weigh myself once a week.
It's a personal thing - i'm much better going it alone - but i have friends that go to class and find it keeps them focused - whatever suits you really!!!
Good luck i'm sure you will be fine

Kate

If you don't get much out of the group you've gone to then would you consider trying another one? I know that's easier said than done - for me it just happens that there are lots of other groups in my area, I know for others who live in more rural parts of the country, groups are quite far from one another so it could be trickier swapping.

We got a new consultant at my group at the beginning of Jan and it has made a MASSIVE difference to the group - I really do enjoy going now whereas before it was a bit boring and she had her favourites that she'd spend more time talking to etc but our new lady is heaps better and more experienced so the consultant really can change things.

I have recently had to leave my group. They were a lovely bunch and I loved my consultant dearly but due to changes in circumstances I just can't go anymore.
I have been off the wagon since I left and am desperately clawing my way back. I would be very grateful of having diet buddies too as I KNOW that without the support of group, i can fall pretty easily and hard too!!!

I'm really impressed that it's working for you all doing it at home. I don't think I could do it.....I get nervy about weighing in and so drives me to do well.

K x

Back