'apron' belly lol, advice needed please

babymimi

Hi all,

As you can see i have recently started ww again and i have started to do lots of exercise. I havent done any for years and am a bit outta touch.

I am 15st atm, and my main problem is my belly (the lower part, lol) its almost like a big 'apron' (for want of a better word, lol) that hangs down (oh dear, very embarrased now!)

What i need to know is, what exercise do i need to do? Im pretty sure endless sit ups wont do the rick untill the weight starts fallingoff, so what do i do? Do i just do cardio for now or do i need to do toning exercises??

Advice please!!!
Thanks
Lisa
xx

Do not take offence to this but generally once the 'apron' look has started, trust me mine was bad and got even worse after losing weight, so much so i was 'tucking' the skin into my jeans etc. Then it is pretty much impossible to shift, they say that excersing and toning won't particually help as the skin has already been stretched to it's fullest and the elasticity has gone from the skin.

I've already lost 13 stone prior to starting WW and I had so much excessive skin on my stomach. My doctor referred me to a plastic surgeon within the NHS and I had a tummy tuck (i have a scar on my bikini line and down from my chest bone to my pubic area) and during this proceedure they removed 7KG of skin and this was the maximum they could do and they're still wanting to do another 2 operations on me to get rid of the rest.

It depends on how bad your 'apron' is but to be honest, your making it sound kinda bad. Question is tho, have you had kids?
You can try toning, pilates etc and see if that's any help tho :) don't take my word from it but i'm just going on how bad my 'apron' was lol

Lol thanks sazza, yes have 2 kids.

Its not really bad but bad enough, if i stand sideways on to a mirror, i wouldnt look that bad if it wasnt there if you know what i mean.

i know it will prob get worse as i lose weight :mad:

I think surgery will have to be an option then after my weight loss.

Well done on ur fab weight loss! :)
Thanks for advice
xx

my apron in horrible :-((

i have 3 kids and they were all big 9lb, 9lb1 and 11lb4. they have stretched me big time and no amount of weight loss/excersise will help me im afraid. i have lost just shy of 3st already but my tummy is still horrible :-((

i hope if i can get to 10stish then i can go and plead with the doctor to see if i can get a tummy tuck. unfortunately i think its just a thing some wonam get after having kids. im 26 and really dont want that for the rest of my life, i mean ffs i need to tuck it in to my knickers hahahahha

LOL Allison :D

I feel better just knowing im not the only one!!! LOL

Tummy tucks here we come!!!!

Lisa
xx

I have one too after having an 11lb daughter. im only 22 and it really gets me down! I can never wear a bikini or be confident naked :(

Ironically I had no problems securing the funding for a tummy tuck, I've not had kids and I still wasn't within a normal BMI range. The only thing they won't fund is my boobs, I went from a D to a A/B and it's just flabs of skin, imagine your apron, just on your chest! :(
I'm hoping losing the weight and getting to a normal BMI will make them re-open my case. I've done everything possible, appealed, taken it to the local MP. The only thing I'm hoping is that a TV documentry has been done which is due to be aired around August, I just hope some plastic surgeon see's me and feels sorry for me and offers to do the op for free! lol

Sazza how do you go about getting funding for a tummy tuck? Do you have to wait until you are finished having kids to have one?

I have had 10 children, the last 3 being C Section so you can imagine the apron I have. I lost nearly 5 stone last year, but have put 1 stone back on which I am in the process of losing again, but my "apron" never got any better, I still have to tuck it into my jeans. I asked my doctor about a tummy tuck operation and she said they wouldn't fund one not even if I was severely depressed.... not sure what to do about it next as we definately cannot afford the £5000 needed to have it done privately but it does really really get me down.

I was literally just reading an article about this on the Jillian Michaels website. Apparently the best exercises are reverse crunches - which you need to do every morning and evening!!!

You need to lie on the floor with your knees bent and ankles together. Then bring your things up to your tummy and lay your arms out by your sides. When you are "comfortble" in this position, you can start your crunches! You need to use your abs (not your arms) to bring your back off the floor and feel your lower abs pulling in toward your rib cage. If you want to make this exercise harder (and further isolate your lower ab muscles) then you can lift your arms a few inches off the floor (but that sounds like a killer to me!!!). You need to aim to do 3 sets of 20 (but you can build up to this) you should feel like you've worked the muscles hard and pushed yourself, but not killed yourself.

Hope that makes sense!

I hate my lower belly now I'm losing weight - that and my hideous bingo wings!

I lost 3 stone on cambridge and have had 3 daughters all by c section and my apron shrunk as I did, it's still there but even now it's not huge , a tummy tuck I'd have 1 but loads go wrong or get infected and I don't want to risk me nit being here for my girls , I do think as said it depends how bad it it and how much weight you lose xx

Ive got one, I lost 5 and a half stone with LL after having a 10lb 3oz girl then piled it all back on carrying my son who had to be induced early due to his growing size, he was 9lb 3oz at 37 weeks. Anyway I have lost 5 stone 5lbs so far and my belly isnt so much a hanging apron as a wobbly, wrinkly mess. Its disgusting. All my stretch marks are silver now that add to the loose, wrinkly skin. My belly button looks more like a bum hole :sorry TMI: Anyway my most precious items are my suck you in underwear collection. I have a tummy flattening vest, all in one thing, knickers etc in various colours. Primark do them cheap too. I probably wear one 80% of the time. I cant bear the wobbly feeling.

Have one myself - have no kids but have had 3 major surgeries (bowel removed in 2007, ovarian cysts & fibroids in 2009 and then a hysterectomy 12 weeks ago) over the past 2 years which have all helped in the formation of the "apron". It's defo worse on the left hand side but am hoping that if I lose some more weight it will get smaller and hoping that the walking will help too. Got my hubby to get the cross trainer out of the attic last night and plan to have a go on that too.

Yep, I have one too - and hate it! I've got two kids; first one was 8lb 4, so not really big, but I was still massive! I have no elasticity at all in my skin, and as soon as I was about 3mths pregnant I started to get stretch marks. They star under my boobs and go all the way down to the tops of my thighs! I was big with my son, he weighed 10lb 13.5 so again lots of stretch marks appeared..
My husband and I are hoping to have a child together soon (he has fertility problems - my two kids are from previous marriage) if we're lucky enough to get pregnant, but, if it doesn't happen within the next 2-3 years that will be the trying stage over and I will (without fail lol) be getting myself booked in for my boobs and tummy to be done - there is no way I will be spending the rest of my life with them like this lol

Back