Are we allowed chewing gum or mints?

Are we allowed any chewing gum or mints or well anything like that?

My breath smells like something has died in my mouth.

What does everyone else do about it?

Unfortunately not...

Chewing sends signals to your brain to make your stomach produce the acid to break down food.

Mints... Nope as they have sugar in them.

I found of I drink enough water my breath is better. You can brush your teeth as much as you want though : /

No mints or gum, I use mint breath freshener spray to get rid of the taste and smelly breath that can happen although the longer you are in ketosis the less you will notice the taste. Most supermarkets have the spray down with the tooth paste, the 1 I have is about £1 and lasts 1-2 wks

I agree with the water thing but I have to confess that I chew sugar free gum some days and its never affected me or my losses... however we are all different.... I don't drink coke zero cos it makes me crave sweet stuff and has been the cause of many a broken attempt at TS... I am a packs and water girlie.... oh and black coffee n peppermint tea.... chewing gum is my vice lol xxx

ooops I chew gum all the time, and I don't think it's affected my losses.

I don't think they tell you not to do it because of losses but more because your stomach produces the acid to break down food and you're not eating food that warrants the acid. If it doesn't affect you I wouldn't worry about it. I would rather not as I had to have my gallbladder removed after Cambridge and losing weight so quickly so I tend to stick to everything by the book just in case x

its very common to have your gall bladder removed after a big quick weight loss.. that's why they generally remove it during the gastric bypass surgery .... hazard of losing weight lol xx

I pop a clove in my mouth for a few mins and then spit it out after a while - really helps with the whole breath of the dead side effect!!

Yes... It really is! I have green tea with peppermint. Have you tried white tea? It's not as strong and I cope with it better than tea with no milk.

Btw. I meant to say in an earlier post that you are a very brave lady doing this diet after having your gall bladder removed. I hope it works for you permanently this time. Good luck. X

Thank you! The pains with the gallbladder were terrible so had no choice but to have it removed... I've never had a baby but I would guess it was as painful (so the consultant told me!) I hope it works too... At least I don't have another gallbladder to remove! X

Back