Are we sure it's true?

Spotty Teapot

Can I just ask, and I know there are loads of threads, sorry, but is it REALLY true that that ASDA chickpea dahl is still a free food?

It just seems to have an awful lot of fat and calories compared to some things that aren't free any longer, for example the sainsburys veg ravioli?

A tin of CPD has 15.6g of fat and 476 cal - that seems quite a lot to me compared to the other stuff we are allowed as free foods - beans etc

Sorry for asking!

ChoProduct Extra Easy Original Green
Chick Pea & Spinach Sauce, jar, 500g jar 18½ 18½ 18½
Chosen by You Chick Pea Dahl, canned, 400g can Free 18½ Free
Organics Chick Peas, canned, 100g Free 4½ Free

xx

I have been eating it too emsie, so don't worry it's not just you!

Thanks for that tricky..how bizarre that that is free but the veg ravioli which is less calories and I think less fat isn't?

Veg ravioli has:
per tin: 336 cal and 6g of fat (0.4 sat fat)

CPD has: 476 cal and 15.6g of fat (1.6 sat fat)

Makes no sense at all?!

Its free. My consultant had the old tin and the new tin in class a few weeks ago and she told us it was still free. Its only the packaging that has changed.

I agree, it's totally bonkers. If you have rice with the dahl you're looking at a massive calorie count. I only have it about once a week and on a day when my other meal is someting quite light - just to be on the safe side! It can surely only be a matter of time til it's given a fairly hefty syn count?!

I agree beegee, I had a tin of it with some couscous and I think that was around 600 cals, which is a lot for just one meal.

I can only think that as you say it is just a matter of time..nearly 16g of fat is an awful lot!

Just for contrast, the average egg (46g) contains 90 calories and a whopping 7 grams of fat. Calories in Egg, Whole | Nutrition Facts and Information

Now personally I have no problem eating 2 eggs on toast in the morning, even a basic omlette using my HEA would be 3 eggs (21g fat) and HEA cheese 3 Baby bel lights uses 9g of additional fat Calories in Laughing Cow - Mini Babybel Light Original. So my "free" meal on SW uses a rough 30g of fat.

But its still within plan. 16g of fat over the course of a day isn't much given Govt guidelines are 70g a day for women.

Thats very true lexie, and a good comparison..thank you!

I am still mystified then why countless eggs are ok, CPD is ok, but the humble veg ravioli is classed as a syn?

Everything everyone has said makes sense but the staus of the veg ravioli does not!

Whats the hidden evil in it? :D

It doesn't seem to be the sugar either..?

CPD has (per tin) :63.2g of carbohydrate (of which 7.6 = sugar)

Baked beans has: 58.4g of carbohydrates (of which 18.4 = sugar).

Most tinned veg ravioli is quite 'soft' to eat, whereas the chickpea dhal is quite 'hard/firm'. Eating the Dhal (which would be harder to digest) gives your body time to realise that it is satisfied. It would be quite easy to eat a tin of ravioli and still feel hungry (or is that just me??!)

Also, due to the slower digestion of the Dhal, you would feel fuller for longer.

Just a theory!!

It is important not to just look at calories and fat.

As that is not how the syn calculator works out whether a food is free or not.

For instance, if an items main ingredient is a Green food, then it goes by the carb content too, and if an item is mostly original foods, then it goes by the protein. Not to forget the overall weight of the item.

So.......

The higher the carb content in a green item (while look at calories, fat and weight too) the lower the syn value

The higher the protein in an original item (again while look at calories, fat and weight too) the lower the syn value.

That said, if you are having the chick pea dahl on a green day, I know it is not advised as much to include a 1/3 superfree, but it is still something you should bear in mind, a full tin of cpd with rice is a huge serving, when not having any superfree with it.

Half a tin with superfree and rice, would be a much better option and will fill you up just as much as a full tin with out the superfree will of done.

Of course you will still be on plan either way, but which is the healthier choice do you think?

Last edited:
I only tend to eat half the packs of convenience foods like this and things like Pasta n Sauce and make up the bulk with veg and salad. So totally agree with Britmum.

Where does the fat come from in the Dahl? Is it the chickpeas or is there added oil? xx

I always add veg to the tin of chickpea dahl when i make it and that bulks it out to 2 portions, so I can have one for lunch the next day. Glad it's still free :)

x

The taste and colour has changed along with the label.....whilst still yummy and still syn free it is slightly runnier (which is nicer I think) but a lot hotter too (not so nice in my opinion).

Back