Argh!! Intolerance to bars? (mentions poo)

Inge Jones

The Atkins bars are ideal as part of my CC diet, and a good source of protein as I am a vegetarian. I thought it was a coincidence the first time that I got nausea an hour or so after eating it, followed by abdominal cramping and violent diarrhea. A few days later I ate another one and the same thing happened.

Does anyone else get this, or is it just me?

Happens to loads of people Inge - it's the pretend sugars in them. Some bars have worse effects than others though - I myself can stomach the daybreak bars but not ANY Thornton's diabetic chocolates.

Apart from the ones my secret santa is sending me of course. ;)

Well it's somewhat comforting that I am not alone, but rather frustrating also. Does one get used to the ingredients or do the intolerant remain intolerant forever?

Check wrappers of all sweet things to ensure 'polyols' are not too high. Polyols are a form of carbs which aren't absorbed they are a sweetner that i try to avoid at all costs. Poor you, i've been there done that.

They are a laxative so you'll never get used to them, sorry. :)

Jeez... but if they did this to everyone no one would ever buy them. I mean you couldn't go to work or out shopping or anything more than a foot from a toilet :(

So no one who had problems with them later "grew out of" it? If by the 4th or 5th attempt I might be managing to cope with them, I'd persevere cos I really like them.

Seriously is it really worth it though. I'm a stay at home mam but i even find them cramps unbearale. NOTHING is worth the effects.

I usually can't 'go' without the help or something but seriously as bad and all as my fav laxative dulcolax is i would never opt for polyols again.

If you're intolerant inge, you always will be I'm afraid. Sorry.

FJ and Inge - have you tried the Atkins chocolate bars? As mentioned, I'm fine with those (sadly, I'd eat them every day if I could - but restricting them to every few days)

Good luck

Susie

Aye, pretty much every one of them except the manky orange choc ones....

I was swayed by the price difference....69p for Thorntons or 2.10 for Atkins.....only place round here that sells them is Boots...and their hardly cheap for anything :

Aye, I normally get stuff from there....but I begrudge paying postage when I can buy them in hehe..

I like those ones too....the brownie ones are really nice as well!

Back