Aspire - Any guinea pigs out there?

'Grats on your losses in just a few days! I think i'll want to try this now for sure :p Don't worry about that gingerbread man, I just had a little lolly so if you don't tell, I won't :p ;)

The problem is, you have absolutely no idea what you'd be if you didn't have the drink. 210 calories is 0.06 of a pound! Over a week, that's 0.42lbs extra that you'll have apparently burned. Is it worth paying that much for less than half a lb extra if it even works? To be honest, I'd say no, but that's me. I think 210 calories is easily burnable through exercise which I'd much rather do, for free.

Actually, 0.39lbs a week after you take off the calories consumed by drinking it!

True, but you don't have to do that. I don't buy special food or pay to be weighed. But like I said, that's me and my opinion. People should do whatever works for them as long as it's safe.

I think it is 210 additional calories that are not burnt during exercise during the day. I'm pretty sure companies like Holland and Barret, Selfridges and GNC would promote them if the product did not prove its mission statement. :)

I think you've missed my point completely. I'm not saying that it doesn't do what it says, but it's nothing new. It's just a rebranded version of green tea and other detox type drinks. My point isn't whether it works, it's whether it's worth it. It's 210 calories on top of whatever you normally do that day. So say if you usually burn 1800 calories a day going about your normal activity, you'd burn 1996 instead (as it says it burns 209 calories but gives you an extra 13 calories). My point is that you can easily burn an extra 196 calories a day through doing extra exercise/activity and that won't cost you anything. I could easily give you 20+ ways to burn 200 calories for example, 15 minutes of skipping a day - 200 calories gone. Yes it takes longer than it does to drink that drink, but what are you going to do, drink Aspire for the rest of your life so that you're burning enough calories a day to maintain your weight after you've lost what you want to lose? In my opinion, you're much better off incorporating exercise to burn extra calories rather than using pills, drinks etc. which all take maximum money for minimum benefit. Like I said before, it's just my opinion.

You make a valid point Caroline, but as much as I agree that they are pretty much milking us for profit... as I would be drinking energy/caffeine drinks anyway, I'd prefer one with vitamins and less guilt calorie-wise. I'm a student who hates coffee - a big disadvantage it seems :p
Also exercise can be free, can't it? I just went out for a powerwalk with a pal xx

I suppose. But I don't think it is re branded or anything, it was developed here in Britain. It's nice to see a product for people who don't have an active worklife. For example, people who spend 45 hours a week at a desk. Naturally you may be against the drink because you may not see the point in spending money where time can get the same results. This drink is useful to carry on burning calories when not active.

It's not rebranding but it's nothing new either. I do get what you're saying but in my opinion, the only way to lose weight in a long term sustainable way is by being active. Otherwise what are you going to do, spend the rest of your life drinking Aspire? I think if it helps boost people and give them a nudge in the right direction then great, but I can't see it as long term and sustainable benefit myself.

The thing is.... According to the Aspire website, their scientific proofs is as follows:

The test was undertaken by the laboratory at Leeds Metropolitan University.
The laboratory utilise a selection of participant - men and women of varying ages and lifestyles to test the calorie burning effect.
The amount of calories burnt was recorded over a 3 hour period after the consumption of 1 can of Aspire.
The subjects were at a resting state during the test so we could achieve a result that represented the amount of calories Aspire burnt without any exercise.

The conclusion of the test was that Aspire burnt a vast amount of calories in every subject. With a staggering average of 209 calories (Kcals) per can across the board, without increasing the individuals heart rate.

Sounds great, right? Participants burnt 209 calories in the three hour period after drinking Aspire.

BUT. My BMR (the amount of calories I burn at rest) is 1,562 per 24-hours. This works out at 65 calories burnt at rest per hour. Or, for three hours at rest, 195 calories.

So if I DIDN'T drink Aspire, and lay down for three hours (the same conditions as the Aspire test), I would burn 195 calories anyway.

Very good point, didn't read that bit on the site. So that's 209-195=14 calorie burn, it can contains 13 calories so that's ONE calorie down. So that's £1.40 a can, £1.40 a calorie. 3500 calories per lb of fat, so you'd have to pay a massive £4900 to lose a lb of fat! If I didn't agree with it before, I certainly don't now!

I know! Crazy, right? I think all that their 'scientific research' proves is that after drinking Aspire... your body burns the same number of calories as it would have done if you'd drunk a glass of water. :rolleyes:

Gimmick product!

xx

Back