Astonishing visit to GP

Hi Barb. I think you have made the right decision. :) I had awful side effects with Acompila. A very bad rash on my arm, hungry all time (yes hunger, just what you want in a weightloss drug lol) and unable to sleep at night. After 2-3 weeks I thought 'sod this' and came off them. It might've settled down after 4-6 weeks but by then I couldn't be bothered to find out!

Thanks Lyn, I'm so glad you told me this. I must admit the more I read about Acomplia the more worried I would be if I was going to take it. I just feel a bit rotten because my GP was so nice and really wanted to help, but I know that really she would rather i did it 'drugless' and so would I.

I'm going to write to her and let her know my decision. It feels right.

I dont know if you know this but when a doctor calculates your healthy BMI he doesnt just go by your weight and height.
When I saw mine last year he inputed loads of information, i couldnt see what but i wonder if they add in illnesses, how you look to the eye to some extent, and i know they use age.
This gives a more realistic ideal BMI for you.

We get swept away with the height/weight thing as do the likes of weight watchers i have to say -(even though i told my ww leader what my doctor said she had to go 9lbs under it!!!)

Yeh health HAS to be the number one factor in this - it's no good aiming for a weight that is going to make you unhealthy, one you find too hard to maintain, and one to fit a bog standard chart - and if your doctor is telling you something,I'd say listen to them.

apparantly by my doctor it was okay to be 13stone and not go below 12stone as it woud make me unhealthy to be so low (HAHA) who am I to argue?

So yeh, good docotrs visit you had Barb, and it osunds like you have one with a sensible head on her shoulders, as you do get some who are repelled if you are so much as half a stone overweight!

Thanks ROWAN - i think we are all so used to being told how bad we are for not being skinny that when someone tells us we are ok, we hardly know what to do with it! I am well confused if the truth is told!

However, I am not going down the pill route, it's not 'me' and it's no good pretending it is. So wish me luck on the healthy route!

Love

Lots of luck hon! I reckon you will do it yerself, plus you have our support. on the ukmedix site there's a discussion forum and the consensus seems to be that the little losses of a few lbs doesn't justify the side effects.

Thanks Lynn, I'll check that out. I've pretty much decided that I'd rather be plump and healthy rather than thin but drugged!

It is tempting though; you know the whole 'pop a pill and get results' thought. P'raps I'll just wait for the 'perfect size 12 with no side effects pill' to be invented! I wish!

Back