Astonishing visit to GP

Barb

Gold Member
Just thought I'd share.:D

Feb check up with GP today. Talked a lot about my weight; my idea not hers. :eek:
I expected the rant - ' you are overweight, endangering your health blah blah' - I didn't get it.:rolleyes:

She gave me a check up, checked recent blood test results and basically said that my weight was a problem if it made me unhappy but medically it was NOT an indicator for endangering my health.

I was gob -smacked. I have so bought into this media hype that if you're fat you're killing yourself. Not true. In fact she said stressing constantly about it was arguably worse than the weight!:eek:

She offered me prescription for acomplia ( a new appetite suppresant) but said that the only real basis she could offer it on was that my weight was impacting on my happiness, not my health!:eek:

So, here I am feeling free and happy and totally unpressurised. She said if I do lose weight great- if I don't great. She is leaving the tablet decision entirely up to me. My other health indicators (BP etc..) are much better than many slimmer people, so I now feel I can do what I want in my own time. Liberating or what?:D

So, do I take the tabs or not? Unsure.Do I continue battering myself on a daily basis for not being slim - NO! Do I still want to lose some weight - YES!

Really look forward to hearing what you all think! ( well not ALL of you obviously, that would make this the longest thread in history, but some would be good):D

GOBSMACKED :eek: was she feelin OK ???!!!! :p

GPs normally use any excuse to badger people about their weight....and very often it's the sole focus of their attention (even if the patient has gone about something totally unrelated !)

how refreshing to have a GP like yours.....:)

I'm sure you'll make the decision that's right for you Barb !

keep us posted !

Debz xx

I agree with your doctor! That's one of the reasons that I feel your main motivation should come from looking after yourself (eating healthily...exercising) rather than aiming to be slim. As it happens, if you look after yourself, then the weight usually drops off anyway:cool:

Being slim, doesn't mean you are healthy, not unless the other things are in place too:)

I know Debz - you just get so used to folk having a pop at the plump ones that you sort of expect the Gp to join in.

I agree KD - it is about getting healthy, eating good stuff and moving more. My walker is going to help with the latter for sure.

I don't know what to do tablet wise. Hope more people will come along with their opinions and i can mull it all over a bit more.

I've just looked up acomplia, and it's website says it's not available on the NHS as it hasn't yet been approved by NICE. I guess that must be out of date, or your going privately:confused:

Sounds good though! Just one thing...will it keep you off the wine? :D

My dr seems to share the same view as yours. She is adamant that I not do CD at the moment because of (a) the tablets I am taking, and (b) the added stress it would cause. With 2 slipped discs, she wants me to concentrate on changing my life to make things easier for me to handle, not add something else to it. I can't disagree with her because when I initially did CD she was incredibly supportive, and when I was feeling down she was encouraging and telling me to keep going, so she's not anti VLCD. I want to stop pressurising myself with artificial deadlines, learn to eat in a way that's good for me, and build a stronger, better body - something we are all aiming for (I hope) :D

Big thumbs up to your Dr. As for the tablets - ask yourself what real difference they would make to you....

I thought the tabs were private only but I have an NHS prescription so I guess not!

And no, you cheeky so and so, I doubt very much they'll keep me off the wine.

And more seriously; appetite suppresant - how will that work when food is being fancied not needed?

I mean honestly a lot of food we eat is for other reasons than hunger so i wonder, can that be changed by a pill?

I feel very uneasy about the whole thing really. I want to be first and foremost healthy - taking a pill to achieve that just doesn't sit well. In fact according to my GP, I AM fit and healthy, so why would I take a pill.

Have discussed with OH and he thinks not a good idea to take a pill when I already feel so confident that my walking machine will make such a difference. He also worries that I frequently have a bad reaction to drugs ( have nearly died in the past due to allergic reactions) and feels that a no risk solution is the way to go.

Acomplia - information for consumers and GPs

Side Effects of Acomplia

All drugs have side effects, and Acomplia is no exception. Some of the side effects are beneficial - such as the altered blood lipid profile. However, there are other known side effects that may influence whether or not you continue to take the drug.
  1. Nausea and vomitting
    Nausea, vomitting and other gastrointestinal disorders were relatively common side effects of taking Acomplia.
  2. Disorders of the nervous system
    This category includes headaches, faintness and feeling dizzy.
  3. Psychiatric disorders
    Including mood swings, anxiety, depression, irritability, sleep disorders and other similar disorders. If you already have a history of mental health disorders, it would be highly adviseable to mention this to your doctor before obtaining this drug.
side-effects.gif

The table to the left is an indication of the relevant frequency of side effects when taking 20mg Acomplia daily, compared to the placebo.
(Source: one year data from RIO-LIPIDS, RIO-Europe and RIO-NORTH AMERICA)

Hi Barb,

In fact according to my GP, I AM fit and healthy, so why would I take a pill.

Your husband has given good advice:)

Have discussed with OH and he thinks not a good idea to take a pill when I already feel so confident that my walking machine will make such a difference. He also worries that I frequently have a bad reaction to drugs ( have nearly died in the past due to allergic reactions) and feels that a no risk solution is the way to go

Love Mini xxx

I have an NHS prescription so I guess not!

That's great.
And no, you cheeky so and so, I doubt very much they'll keep me off the wine.
LOL. :p Wonder if NHS can give you another prescription for that :D

And more seriously; appetite suppresant - how will that work when food is being fancied not needed?
well, you never know. It might reduce the cravings too. I know that when I did CD, though the ketosis effect gives the reduction in appetite, I'm pretty sure that it really helped with other aspects like cravings and just fancying something. I think there is a lot more to it than just fancying.

For instance, I know that eating certain foods can reduce my cravings for others (whether hungry or not)

I feel very uneasy about the whole thing really. I want to be first and foremost healthy - taking a pill to achieve that just doesn't sit well. In fact according to my GP, I AM fit and healthy, so why would I take a pill.
To get fitter and healthier I suppose :D But also to relieve the stress. After all, you do still want to be slimmer for other reasons.

He also worries that I frequently have a bad reaction to drugs ( have nearly died in the past due to allergic reactions) and feels that a no risk solution is the way to go.
He's got a good point there. I think pills are a last chance solution. When the pills are finished, you still have to get your head around the maintenance part, which you can do whilst you lose the weight 'naturally'. The pills will give you a false sense of what it's all about, but having said that, if all else proves too difficult, it's good to have something that might help.

I reckon you'll give it a good bash without the pills myself ;)

Delighted that your GP didn't smack your wrist, give you a withering look and hint that you 'deserve' to be overweight. So many of them, do!

I do worry though that the 'it's not affecting your health' argument ignores the mental health aspect. I'd say fat is very damaging, psychologically.

Also - should you ever want an NHS TT, might a previously sympathetic GP say that the belly overhang etc were not affecting your health, and since you were asking for a merely cosmetic procedure, you could not expect funding?

Sometimes we just can't win!

Good luck Barb. No harm in trying the appetite suppressants if you fancy giving them a go. At least your vital signs are in good working order - one less thing to worry about.

Ahh, you know me too well KD! I have decided (least i think I have - oh shut up Barb) that I will hang onto the prescription for a few weeks and give my walker and my cal counting the chance to make a difference.
I think part of what tempts me to try the pills is that I am so surprised to have been offered them, I really didn't expect it and certainly not on the NHS!

I view them as an absolute last chance /resort thing. At least I know they are an option. The important thing though is to stay well and safe. I've been on a few 'acomplia' forums and some of the tales are frightening whilst others are really inspiring.

So, here goes; healthy eating/cal counting/walking machine (not till Thursday though) and lets give me one last go without medicinal help!

Thanks for your imput Mini, I think you agree with OH, too risky for the moment!

Love

Barb said:
walker is going to help with the latter for sure.

It will do that :) I'll show you mine, if you show me yours :D

th_walker.png

Ha ha! You are so naughty KD - is this your half term wicked streak showing?

Actually, at the risk of being very posh, my walker is a 'York elliptical cross trainer' and it retails around £400! I got the last one from Tesco Direct for £199!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bargain or what?

I know it is going to make a difference. I'm totally committed (DH says I should be!) and having used a much cheaper/flimsier model in the past i know I can do it and stick to it.

Went for two 'real' walks yesterday to start building up my stamina - GP told me off though as the air was too cold for my lungs so I had to up my inhalers! Thats the beauty of the 'walker' I can do it indoors, everyday, no excuses!

Will record in my diary how it goes each day!

My dr seems to share the same view as yours. She is adamant that I not do CD at the moment because of (a) the tablets I am taking, and (b) the added stress it would cause. With 2 slipped discs, she wants me to concentrate on changing my life to make things easier for me to handle, not add something else to it. I can't disagree with her because when I initially did CD she was incredibly supportive, and when I was feeling down she was encouraging and telling me to keep going, so she's not anti VLCD. I want to stop pressurising myself with artificial deadlines, learn to eat in a way that's good for me, and build a stronger, better body - something we are all aiming for (I hope) :D

Big thumbs up to your Dr. As for the tablets - ask yourself what real difference they would make to you....

Thanks DQ:D

always good to get your thoughts. Sounds like our GP's are very similar; I was pleased not to get a verbal bashing, they do no good just make me feel rebelious actually. I think you are in the right place about stopping the pressure. You just want to be 'normal' and healthy' don't you? Thats what I want. I know I want to be lighter but i want to do it the right way - the journey does matter, it's not all about destination for either of us.;)
Good luck DQ - lets hope we both get what we want.

Love

Delighted that your GP didn't smack your wrist, give you a withering look and hint that you 'deserve' to be overweight. So many of them, do!

I do worry though that the 'it's not affecting your health' argument ignores the mental health aspect. I'd say fat is very damaging, psychologically.

Also - should you ever want an NHS TT, might a previously sympathetic GP say that the belly overhang etc were not affecting your health, and since you were asking for a merely cosmetic procedure, you could not expect funding?

Sometimes we just can't win!

Good luck Barb. No harm in trying the appetite suppressants if you fancy giving them a go. At least your vital signs are in good working order - one less thing to worry about.

That was her point really - that the only real reason she felt happy to prescribe tablets was because she worried that my happiness was being effected by my weight and that the constant worrying about it was making me miserable.:eek:
TT wise - never going to happen. I would never risk another GA unless it was something essential, took me ten years to get over the last one!:eek:

Thanks for the good wishes GG, it's great to have your support and your opinion, thats what i love about Minmins, someone is always happy to discuss the latest!

Love

Ha ha! You are so naughty KD - is this your half term wicked streak showing?

:D Well, I've been out this morning, and everything went wrong. In a dead stroppy mood...which is so unlike me. I can usually be cross with something without it spilling over into other things. But not today Can't understand it:confused:
Actually, at the risk of being very posh, my walker is a 'York elliptical cross trainer' and it retails around £400! I got the last one from Tesco Direct for £199!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bargain or what?
Wow, that is a bargain :clap:

Yes, knew you'd approve of that bargain.

Sorry to hear you're feeling stroppy, doesn't sound at all KD like! Having said that it does sound very normal to me - I get like that sometimes, I think we all do, perhapsyou need some quality 'doing what KD likes to do time'.

Love

You know, Barb, the one really important requirement in dieting/weight control is that we keep on going. As you say it is the journey that matters. Most of us can look back and say, well, once I was that 'bad'... now, I'm only this 'bad'... and in many ways, am now 'good'! We are constantly learning, but we don't realise until afterwards that we have made real progress.

Accepting ourselves as we are now is one of the toughest things, ever. But that helps to lay the foundations of the (slimmer, fitter, happier, more confident) person we will become. And exercise will make a difference to your mood as well as your weight. Get stuck into that walker, and give it hell!

Sorry to hear you're feeling stroppy, doesn't sound at all KD like! Having said that it does sound very normal to me - I get like that sometimes, I think we all do, perhapsyou need some quality 'doing what KD likes to do time'.

Love

I can be 'blue' or even downright depressed, or very happy. Never stroopy or irritable though:confused: Found myself grumbling (under my breath) because the automatic doors at the shops were opening too slowly, and people were just standing there on the escalator and I couldn't walk past them. Very strange.

Had to come home in the end which means I'll have to go out again:sigh:

Still, doing what KD likes to do at the moment. Popping on the forum whilst playing with graphics :) Just taken a coffee and ran a bath for DH :) Bless him.

Accepting ourselves as we are now is one of the toughest things, ever. But that helps to lay the foundations of the (slimmer, fitter, happier, more confident) person we will become.

So true!

You know, Barb, the one really important requirement in dieting/weight control is that we keep on going. As you say it is the journey that matters. Most of us can look back and say, well, once I was that 'bad'... now, I'm only this 'bad'... and in many ways, am now 'good'! We are constantly learning, but we don't realise until afterwards that we have made real progress.

Accepting ourselves as we are now is one of the toughest things, ever. But that helps to lay the foundations of the (slimmer, fitter, happier, more confident) person we will become. And exercise will make a difference to your mood as well as your weight. Get stuck into that walker, and give it hell!

Thanks GG - what a profound post. Everything you say is so true, I am constantly learning and I believe i am even beginning to accept myself! :D

I will give that walker a good seeing to when it gets here - with encouragement like yours, how could I not!:cool:

Love

Back