At what weight did you start exercising?

jodidi

Silver Member
Apart from general walking, what weight did you start exercising? I just feel too big and clumsy to exercise at the moment, not to mention knackered. I know I'd feel better if I started and I really want to but I'm struggling to get going.

Just starting with walking if fine, increasing your distance each time. I still don't go a great lot of exercise even now only a bit on the wii and walking, been this way since i was about 230lb's (stated slimming world first time at the same time). Doesn't matter on your weight, just do what you can and gradually increase it until you feel happier.

I started by playing Badminton, it's low impact and pretty easy to pick up, I love it and play at least once a week now, last time I wore a chest monitor and counted my calories burnt, just under 950 in 55 mins, that's more than I do in the gym but it's loads more fun!

Thanks guys, Ive got no excuses now, lol! I think I need to just start doing some. I know that once I do I'll get into it.

i started going the gym at around 21 stone, xtrainer bike and slow walk on treadmill.. just as i was going in the first time i was terrified that i would be the biggest person there, people would talk behind my back.. but as soon as i walked in the room i saw people bigger then me and no one batted an eye as i walked in.. everyone is there for the same reason and they just get on with it.. so don't worry about it, go and try and enjoy it, take things slow at first and build things up from there.

don't forget to have fun ;)

I think no matter what size you are, people always appreciate that those who are at the gym are there as they have made the conscious effort to improve their lifestyle, whether that's for weight loss, fitness, toning etc.

The hard part is always getting there. Once you're through the door you've won the battle!

You can't beat the feeling an hour of exercise gives you! My legs feel a bit sore and jelly like today and it makes me feel good! Maybe I'm masochistic or something (!!!) but I just think it's a sign my body's changing for the better :)

Started aqua aerobics at 21 stone ish after i'd lost 3 stones.Started once a week and now go three times.

Joined the gym at 19 stones and go twice a week.

Started zumba at 18 12 and manage the class but am the fattest and wobbliest but dont care!

Started riding my bike last week.

So now doing 6 sessions of excercise a week!

Started 30 day shred at 17st, best thing I have ever done. It's really helped me transition into more intense workouts. Try it, it's hard at first but really improves your overall fitness. I loved it so much the first time, i'm doing it again right from the beginning.

Maggie_Sak said:
Started 30 day shred at 17st, best thing I have ever done. It's really helped me transition into more intense workouts. Try it, it's hard at first but really improves your overall fitness. I loved it so much the first time, i'm doing it again right from the beginning.

Sorry to sound stupid but what is it?

16 and a half stone (ish) biggest id ever been. Walking/jogging and swimming.

I now also do a boot camp 3 evenings pw :eek:

Don't let your size stop you from exercising start slow and build up. Walking slow, speeding up, alternate slow and fast walk and so on and so forth. As you lose weight it becomes a lot easier trust me ;-)

I've joined the gym at 18st 2lbs & already feel the benefit. Everyone else is too busy with their workout so don't feel embarassed. Once u've been a couple of times & r familiar with the machines u'll be fine. I'd recommend having a programme done so u have a purpose or aim each time u go. I didn't for 1st couple of visits & didn't really feel I was making full use of my time there. Now I cone away feeling that Ive achieved a good workout. I can't get enough of it now lol

Thanks for everyone's replies:)

I do feel embarrassed to go out to be honest. My hubby bought me a new mountain bike for our anniversary last year and I've only been on it once. I did about a 15 minute round trip and I was knackered beyond belief. Also I struggled to get my leg over the bike frame. I felt frustrated and angry that I couldn't do it and I felt "on show" while I was riding it. I've not been on it since. At my weight and fitness level exercise hurts and it's hard work and I feel abit overwhelmed that I need to get past that barrier so it starts getting easier. I used to be fit and athletic i just wish I'd realised I was getting bigger and unfitter. It just seemed to creep up on me, I just bought bigger clothes and before I knew it here I am and I'm struggling to get my leg over my bike and walk up stairs. Someones signature said "being overweight is hard, losing weight is hard, choose your hard" that's so true. I'd never really looked at it like that, being over weight IS hard work it's not the easy way that's for sure.
Sorry to go off on a tangent, lol! I think I need to sit down and make a realistic exercise plan that's going to get me going and build up my fitness!

I work for a mental health charity and do badminton with the people who access the service and some of the staff. Its fairly gentle and fun, plus I did work up a sweat. I also enjoy walking and swimming. All of these are good if you feel you want to ease your self into exercise.

Sorry to sound stupid but what is it?

It's a work out video from Jillian Michaels (Biggest Loser USA). It has a dedicated thread on here, check it out http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-teams/244732-30-day-shred.html. You only have to work out for about 20min a day or if you can hack it, you can do all 3 levels together but trust me 1 level at a time is plenty, at least for the first few days, coz it kills :eek:. You see results really quickly, maybe not so much on the scales but there is a lot of inch loss and massive improvement in your fitness level at the end of the 30 days. Amazon.co.uk sell it in case you are interested. :)

It's a work out video from Jillian Michaels (Biggest Loser USA). It has a dedicated thread on here, check it out http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-teams/244732-30-day-shred.html. You only have to work out for about 20min a day or if you can hack it, you can do all 3 levels together but trust me 1 level at a time is plenty, at least for the first few days, coz it kills :eek:. You see results really quickly, maybe not so much on the scales but there is a lot of inch loss and massive improvement in your fitness level at the end of the 30 days. Amazon.co.uk sell it in case you are interested. :)

Brilliant, thanks, going to give it a go!

Maggie_Sak said:

I've got 30 day shred. I attempted it once but probably only managed 5 mins. I ve got a few workout DVDs that I started doing last time when I was around 17st. I'm just coming down from the highest weight I've ever been and I think I'm feeling like I can't exercise at this weight if you no what I mean. If I'm being honest I'm making excuses not to as well because it's so hard. But I always feel better for it and it plays an important role in my weight loss because I lost about 2 stone a year or so ago and I was exercising regularly and even when I wasnt losing much on the scales the inches were dropping fast. So exercise works for me.

I've got 30 day shred. I attempted it once but probably only managed 5 mins. I ve got a few workout DVDs that I started doing last time when I was around 17st. I'm just coming down from the highest weight I've ever been and I think I'm feeling like I can't exercise at this weight if you no what I mean. If I'm being honest I'm making excuses not to as well because it's so hard. But I always feel better for it and it plays an important role in my weight loss because I lost about 2 stone a year or so ago and I was exercising regularly and even when I wasnt losing much on the scales the inches were dropping fast. So exercise works for me.

It's not easy to get into exercise but the best part is once you are in the zone, there is no going back. Even that 5 min you did, that was plenty because you did something. You got up and put on your workout clothes and your trainers. Trust me, even that can be hard sometimes. 5 mins is fine, just say to yourself, i'm gonna try again tomorrow and aim to do 7 mins. Within a week, you will find yourself doing the whole 20 mins. :)

Back