Owl At wits end. Help!

locket

I started dieting just over a year ago on Dukan. I lost nearly 2 stone in this diet but hit a plateau for 3 months. My sister suggested trying Atkins. I wasn't keen at first because the diet has a bit of a bad reputation. Anyway, I gave it a go. Initially I lost 1.5kgs in 2 weeks. Then suddenly my weight rocketed. I picked up 3kgs in 2 weeks. I stuck to the diet religiously but the weight kept piling on. I eventually cut down on the amount of fat and the weight started creeping off. Here am tho, 3 months later and my weight is creeping up again. I limit myself to 20g carbs max a day and my weight is going up. I just don't understand. I must be the only person on the planet who lives almost solely on pure protein but my weight goes up. I now weigh almost a stone more than 6 months ago and am seriously depressed about it.

I do account for all my carbs. As a low carb eater for the past 14 months, I can spot a carb at 30 paces. I eat the same boring meals day in, day out. More as I have v little time and just end up making what I know. So for the most I have eggs (fried in about a tablespoon of fat), v lean turkey mince with chillies and spring onion, tofu (I account for the carbs). I might eat a little cheese every day. I only drink Alpro light in my tea and don't even taste the food I make for hubby and DD. Boring, I know but it's easy to stick with what I know with no pesky carbs creeping in.

Oh yes and thank you for taking the time to reply, it does give me food for thought. I'm just petrified of fats, our generation was brought up thinking fat is the route of all evil. I must try get past that.

Agree that ratios can be an issue - too much protein can be converted to glucose which gives you insulin spikes so loses the whole benefit of low carb! Recommend you manually adjust ratios in MFP and track fat%
Also worth watching cals - as been said low and body will go in starvation mode, too high and doesn't matter what you eat you can gain
Also worth moving to OWL following book recommendations to increase carb levels - some people lose better on MORE carbs!
Good luck

Thank you. I'm going to have a good look at some of the diaries on this thread for a few ideas on meals. To be honest, I'd love a few new meals to eat. I'm also gonna sit down with my Atkins book again (when my little girl gives me a chance to). I'm also going to start my own diary. Having looked at some of the diaries last night it became clear that it helps a lot, not only in terms of motivation but advice. I'm absolutely determined to lose this stone I've attached to my arse in the past 1/2 year. Thanks again.

Great idea to start up your own diary, Locket - be prepared for kidnapping though - we chat about all sorts of stuff :D

Susie

Back