atkins vs dukan

aaah yes I heard the Atkins people were getting worried about their bottom line (no pun intended!). The Dukan book is due out in America on April 19 so we can expect more of this sort of criticism between now and then!

I did smile at the criticism of our short attack phase, where yes followers do eat fewer carbs than Atkins followers... but given that it lasts but 3 days for most, opposed to phase 1 Atkins which can last months for many, we eat far more carbs on our alternate PV days than on Atkins OWL days even!

But I really can't be bothered, but am amused!

The two diets can surely live happily side by side without throwing stones over the fence... unless feeling particularly insecure about the money side :D

Been upset reading this. Is dukan a fad? I thought I had found a new way of life that was medically researched and was safe. I don't want another fad diet. My diet needed an overhaul and that it has had but at what cost is low calorie low fat better. Do we need carbs? Wish I hadn't read that now as dukan is working in no other way any other diet has but I want it to be safe

Been upset reading this. Is dukan a fad? I thought I had found a new way of life that was medically researched and was safe. I don't want another fad diet. My diet needed an overhaul and that it has had but at what cost is low calorie low fat better. Do we need carbs? Wish I hadn't read that now as dukan is working in no other way any other diet has but I want it to be safe

Louise, don't worry - the (American) Atkins folk (it would seem) are trying to get would-be dieters on their side before the Dukan Diet hits the states!

Low carb/low fat is fine. You are getting enough fat from egg yolks/meat anyway and there are some daily carbs in the oatbran plus veg every other day.

Dukan works well for you, so carry on! Some will get better results (and feel better) on Atkins. We're all different:).

Worth bearing in mind, since I've been doing Dukan (hadn't heard of it before) I've met a fair few folk (friends of friends mainly) who have lost weight on Dukan. I don't know that Atkins has much of a following here. Par for the course that a diet will be more popular in the country where it originated.

lets face it Atkins is an american diet , making money for the Americans ....they are not going to want a new diet that sounds "healthier " they are going to smear it before it arrives ....
Atkins devised by an american for the fat loving american market
Dukan French diet works well is becoming more commercilised (SP), but why shouldnt mr d cash in mr a did
as for health and diets most things start as a fad till they take off ie jogging and computer games all called fads in their day

You can pick holes in any diet if you try hard enough and to be honest I feel healthier being at a lower weight so I figure I have to better off than if I was stuffing my face with carbs and other rubbish. The dietician I saw on Monday seemed to think my diet was relatively healthy.

The Atkins Industry has been wrong footed because of a basic error in the orginal concept of the diet.

At the time Atkins believed that it was fat which created a sense of fullness and satisfaction during ketosis, and this underpins the design of the entire diet and all the products, profits and investments in the company "Atkins Nutrionals" which depend on it.

Research in Scandinavia in the 1990-2000s proved pretty conclusively that the saiety came from protein, not fat; atkins worked, but by accident rather than design.

To admit that the Dukan diet is a legitimate effective low-carb low-fat alternative would undermine the Atkins concept entirely.

To give you some idea how cynical of the marketing of Atkins products are - the company Atkins created is now owned by a group which also owns fast food chains like 'Auntie Anne's' (fresh sweet pretzels), 'Carvel' (ice-cream and ice-cream cakes) 'Cinnabon' (large danish pastries with thick sugar icing), 'Moe's Southwest' (Tex-Mex), 'Schlotzsky's' (American sandwiches) 'McAlister's' - filled baked potatoes, and 'Wingstop' (fried chicken wings).

They own no other 'health', 'medical' or 'wellbeing' products.

Back