Atkins vs Dukan

Elisheba

No matter what, carry on!
How can I help a friend who switched to Dukan from Atkins but is still insisting on counting carbs and other things like having alcohol ( while still on cruise)....

Is is ok for someone to have a "personalized" version of the Dukan diet?

I am very strict in following the diet and it drives me crazy to see someone saying that fat is good and actually lowers cholesterol....

Don't get me wrong, I would love some butter flavor in my galette.... but still... I'm getting tired trying to explain to someone...
Sometimes, I just want to say:
'Go back to Atkins diet if you think is so great.'
but that would be so mean...

Worry about your weight loss. It's too hard to work on ourselves without the extra worry of dealing with someone elses diet as well. That's too much frustration for no reason. When she stops losing weight you can then say I told you so!

Elisheba said:
How can I help a friend who switched to Dukan from Atkins but is still insisting on counting carbs and other things like having alcohol ( while still on cruise)....

Is is ok for someone to have a "personalized" version of the Dukan diet?

I am very strict in following the diet and it drives me crazy to see someone saying that fat is good and actually lowers cholesterol....

Don't get me wrong, I would love some butter flavor in my galette.... but still... I'm getting tired trying to explain to someone...
Sometimes, I just want to say:
'Go back to Atkins diet if you think is so great.'
but that would be so mean...

Just tell her how it is....she needs to chose which one and stick to it. You can't interchange. Each diet no matter which has a set of rules fact. ...You can't chose the bits you want from different diets. Elish you'll have to be cruel to be kind. This is your diet.....let her have hers x

Ive followed SW for years and people were making changes to the plan to suit themself.
I used to say that any changes they made, meant they werent following the SW plan.
Its the same with any diet, you make changes- so youre not really following the plan. If you dont lose weight, then you cant blame the plan.
Theyve done the hard work for us, so we just have to follow it.

As previously mentioned, just worry about your own weight loss.
When they see how well youre doing, they may change their mind:)

I see your frustrations, remind her nicely of the reasons for the rules but don't go on otherwise she may do what I'd do which is the opposite of your advice (ie if I felt I were being lectured I'd rebel!). If you educate her on the reasons she shouldn't be maybe she'll come to her own conclusions? Small concessions work for some folk, I still have squash but realised when I near target I'll have to stop.

I agree with Fireangel....speaking from experience you can't tinker with this diet....it's all or nothing (nothing being the loss you see on the scales).....I'd let her find out the hard way - from experience the more you try to advise people NOT to do certain things - the more they DO them just to be annoying :D x

Just think of yourself Elisheba my ex 'dukan' friend is so desperate to lose weight for June but decided to go back to WW - WHY! .......... Everyone of us has a choice - we choose Dukan it works for us, not for others.........

On Dukan it works to have low fat .. but some fats are actually good for you poly and mono unsaturated .. they're good fats which you need and will find in fish, nuts etc .. and it's saturated fat that is bad..! And it depends on the type of oil you use in cooking like vegetable oil has more saturated where as olive oil and rapeseed oil has more poly and mono unsaturated and therefore better for you...

but I do agree with otheres here concentrate on yourself and allow her to make her own choices! :)

I ADD .. in moderation ;)

Now, she started saying that there might be something wrong with my metabolism because I eat much more than her.... MUCH MORE and I keep losing weight!

Anyway, I just have to let go..

Thank you everyone for your opinions on this matter.

We live and learn and that is the beauty of it all.

Now, she started saying that there might be something wrong with my metabolism because I eat much more than her.... MUCH MORE and I keep losing weight!

Anyway, I just have to let go..

Thank you everyone for your opinions on this matter.

We live and learn and that is the beauty of it all.

Oh Elisheba now that's just funny. She really can't get her head around good nutrition can she? I wonder does she understand the difference between good healthy food (such as we eat) and the bad, high fat food. Its kind of sad that she feels she needs to pick faults with you for losing weight. Just keep going and maybe she'll have that light bulb moment. I've done Atkins before and let me tell you eating all that fat when you can't have carbs with it is enough to turn your stomach!

I guess we are all set in our ways.
I would not give up the oat bran for an Atkins bar (and counting the carbs sounds horrible)

Maybe some people like a complicated diet : the more difficult the better...
You know, keeps the mind busy..

Zakat I agree I had to swap from Atkins to Dukan and I would never look back! It sounds a dream but after a few days I was nearly suck with all the high fats :( yuck if your friend misses it do much tell her to go back and she can stare at you in awe when your at your goal and she's not :p x

Back