Attention dog owners, advice needed :(

sliminthecity

Silver Member
Hi, I know there are lots of people on the s n s forum who are dog owners so I would really, really appreciate any responses.

My dog Charlie, who is an 11 month old black lab was hit by a van yesterday :(
He is alive and doing well, vet said they are happy with him and his bloods have come back normal. When I went into see him yesterday ( vet hospital) he was alert and responsive and making attempts to get up from his cage to come see me which I'm taking as a good sign.

I'm really worried that he will lose a paw as the vet said there is extensive damage to the middle of the back right paw( which hot trapped under the tyre)
He described it as de-gloving where the skin gets ripped off. The surgeon will see Charlie today so I'll know more in a few hours. He was talking about skin graphs so as you can imagine I'm terrified :(

Does any one have experience of de- gloving? Have you owned a dog that has lost a limb/ paw/ toes? I'm preparing myself mentally for this as I think his paw was pretty messed up( I wasn't there when it happened though) how will his quality of life be affected without toes? The vet said he doubts he will lose a leg but can't rule out possibility of toes. I'm gutted :(

I guess I'm just looking for your experiences, if any.

Thanks in advance x

image-425601657.jpg

I just wanted to add that I'm truly thankful he is alive and here is a wee pic of him x

Sorry to hear about your dog but just to reassure you I know of a number of dogs that have lost toes and even legs and they do just fine especially when it's the back leg. Hopefully it won't come to that tho. It actually tends to be us who do worse in these kind of circumstances than the dog. They just take it in their stride. Fingers crossed for today xx

Can't offer any advice other than to say Poor Charlie! Poor you!

I hope he makes a speedy recovery. He's in good hands at the vets and even if he does lose some toes, he'll still be able to be up and about. He'll probably get used to it quicker than you will if you know what I mean.

Big Hugs Xx

Thanks so much for the lovely responses :) it has really brightened my day!

update so far - no bones broken!!!! Paw is badly swollen and will need re- dressed daily, so far nature is doing what it should and if blood continues to be pumped to the paw all should hopefully be ok!!!!! I can't believe how lucky he has been! The next 48 hours are crucial, if the blood stops going to the paw there could be complications but I'm not even gonna think about that. They are a wee bit concerned that the toes could knit together during healing so have to keep a close eye on him for a couple of days still.

I'm so happy and relieved that all seems to be going well. Wont feel 100% ok though until he is home with us and diving about in muddy puddles!

Vet said he is sleeping well, eating and wagging his tail :) he also said Charlie was a beautiful dog, both physically and in nature :)

Thanks again for the well wishes x

Good news so far. Keep us posted xx

Well I just went to the hospital to drop off the insurance forms( thank goodness we took it out!) and got a chance to see Charlie. He came hobbling out with a wee blue bandage and cast around his paw. Wish I hadn't because it really upset him and he was crying :( the nurse said he hadn't been like that in his cage so not to worry. I was being a bit selfish I guess but I just didn't want him to think
I had left him :(. Anyways....... He looked good considering, can't wait to get him home. Luckily I'm off work for 7 weeks as of this Thursday so can look after him.

When one of my dogs was a pup and had a major op she had to be kept in for a few days (she had a catheter) and the vet encouraged me to go and visit each day to keep her spirits up and like you say, let her know that I was still around. I'm sure that the fact that he has seen you has reassured him that you haven't left him. Good news that you are off for 7 weeks soon tho (must be a teacher ;)).

Yes, she's 8 now :)

Aww just saw ur post. So pleased he is ok. Can't imagine how stressful that was. Hope is is home to u soon all better. Keep us up to date c

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I can't add anything but my sympathy. My dog years ago was thumped by a car, cost a lot of money but made a great recovery! I have my fingers crossed for you and hope all goes well!
What a lovely muddy doggy pic!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Thanks :) I love the picture it captures his spirit perfectly :) I'm glad to hear that your dog made a fully recovery, it's not cheap! But when it's your dog you'd pay anything to have them better!

sliminthecity said:
Thanks :) I love the picture it captures his spirit perfectly :) I'm glad to hear that your dog made a fully recovery, it's not cheap! But when it's your dog you'd pay anything to have them better!

Yes! I would have given my left kidney! Didn't do pet insurance in my day...
I love when they roll in mud!

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Oooffft, I'd be selling my kidney on eBay right now if we didn't have the insurance! I always feel like insurance is a big scam but so glad we got it!

He actually crawls through it army commando(sp?)style!! Lol thinking about it :)

Back