Bad Bad Bad Time of it..... bit graphic sorry!

Spikylady

Yesterday I had the worst experience of my life with going to the Loo. Weds eve I took 2 senokot to try and relieve myself. I had to come home from work yesterday to try and get rid of the blockage.... it was BAD! So much so I rang NHS direct because I was beside myself, the stool was there it just wouldn't come out. After talking to them they said I could go to the pharmacist and ask for something. Off I trotted (I wish!) to tesco and spoke to the woman there and she ended up giving me a supposatrie (can't spell it). I came home did what I needed to do and it did nothing. I gave it one hell of a push and it came out. I NEVER EVER want to go through that again.
Today I have got som pysillium husks and I have just taken two as per the instruction. What is everyones movement like when they take the daily amount? Do you go every other day or once a week and is it easy to pass? I know its personal but any info would be a great reliever (pardon the pun!)

Thank you
R xx

I know how bad it is, ive been there. I nearly passed out trying to poo. Now I take dulcolax perles and never had a problem since.

The last time i had that problem was just after giving birth to my son. It was horrendous and i dont think even labour was quite that painful. I really really dont want to ever have that experience again...so i'm going to have to sort something out this weeknd as a preventative measure.

Hope you're ok xx

I've found that in the first couple of weeks I was going 4 to 5 times a week but it was like passing rocks!!! and I was drinking 6 to 7 litres of water a day so it wasnt due to dehydration.

Last weekend after using fibresure I had to resort to using ducolax, (not the perles) but to be honest I dont want to be relying on them, this week I went 4 whole days without going and yesterday wasnt pleasant when it finally came. I'm going to start taking the fibresure from today to hopefully keep things moving.

I have to say if it doesnt it is going to be the thing that makes me move away from this diet, I was thinking I'll tough it out as long as I can because I'm so happy with every other aspect of the diet but I wont be able to punish my body this much for much longer. Here's hoping things improve, because I really want to shift this weight pronto.....

I have to say if it doesnt it is going to be the thing that makes me move away from this diet, I was thinking I'll tough it out as long as I can because I'm so happy with every other aspect of the diet but I wont be able to punish my body this much for much longer. Here's hoping things improve, because I really want to shift this weight pronto.....

I totally agree hedgehog as the lack of movement is the only thing that I'm really unhappy about.

I know its cos there's not much going in so not much to come out, but even after the amount of water being drank I'm in agony and bleed heavily and can't sit down properly for hours afterwards. (Sorry for the graphic details!) I don't think i can endure much more of this 2 or 3 times a week :(

I do take senokot and psyilium husks but nothing really works for me

Actually, I'm really grateful you had the courage to post about this because exactly the same thing has been happening to me lately. It's weird, but for the first 6 months of doing CD I had no problems whatsoever but in the last month or so this has happened a few times and I really don't know why. I don't think it's to do with fluid intake cos that hasn't changed really (although I'm making an effort to drink more again, just in case that is what it is).

Are psyllium husks the way to go then (LOL, another unintentional pun! :D) Are capsules better than taking the stuff mixed in with a shake/muffin? Right along with you, Spikylady, I'd love some more info about what the best thing is to do!

I am so delighted you posted this.

I actually had the same experience recently. It was horrific, and akin to what you described FF. I took 4 senokot, two days going, suppoistry, drank 3 litres water in 1hr and.... nothing but a swollen belly, lots of pain and burst veins in forehead [:)].

After second day I ate as my last resort, not a break in diet as it was a normal meal, and didn't go the savage. Thank God after a lot of strain [and more senakot] that sorted it. But I don't want to have to do that all the time. Also don't like relying on senakot. Hopefully it was a once off as I have psyllium husks almmost every day and never had trouble to this degree before.

Think I agree with Hedgehog, if it happens again there will be doubts about CD.

P.S. I drink 5-6 litres water a day so not dehydration.

Last edited:
The husks and fibre89 don't work for me either. Haven't really tried it yet but going to try soya bran as recommended on another thread by jane I think.

Hi Spiky - sorry to hear of your problem!

Having passed some 'rocks' in my first week, I've been using the husks for about a week now, and am 'sorted' in that department!

I have two heaped 5ml spoons in my breakfast shake and two in my evening shake, and probably average a 'movement' two or three times a day. It probably took about 2/3 days to start things off though!

I personally prefer a more natural approach, as I wouldn't want to get dependent on laxatives, but each to their own!

Good luck!

oh no i have experienced it before.. was worse than giving birth to my 10 pound baby :(

i now resort to having husks with my morning shake every day!! and touch wood i go every 1-2 days!!

wow 2 spoons fulls twice a day? i have 2 spoons... but if things do get tough again i will have more...

I have psyllium husks every day ( 3 mix a mousse sized spoonfuls) and still have to take bisacodyl every week. Thats shifts me and they're available in Tescos - 20 tabs for about a quid.
I'm not bothered about using tablets as I don't plan to be on this diet for life (hopefully), ok well maybe partially. As soon as I'm eating fruit and veg it should revert to normal.
x

I find the only thing that works for me (without tummy pains etc) is Lactulose but it is sweet and probably not allowed but its once a week I take it and it gets rid of the blockage (can take 2 days to work). :)

It's a bit of a relief to hear everyone's opinions on this as I too have suffered.
I really was beginning to think I was the only one as no one else seems to speak about it to such a degree.
Thank you for speaking up about it so I know i'm not alone.
I've resorted to taking laxatives frequently to try and stop it happening again. Hopefully this will only be a short term remedy.

WOWEEE what a load of replies! thanks heaps for the infomation.
I thought I couldn't be alone, but because it is such a nasty topic no one ever got graphic I thought I had to break the silence!!

Now im confused - everyone seems to take spoonfulls of husks whereas I got the capsules.... I can take the capsules right?

Made me chuckle when you mentioned it was worse than giving birth.... I said the same thing to my mum and I don't have any kids!!!
Rx

"Quote "What is everyones movement like when they take the daily amount? Do you go every other day or once a week and is it easy to pass? I know its personal but any info would be a great reliever (pardon the pun!)"

Well Spiky Lady, I hate to break this to you but I go almost everyday. If I miss 1 day a week that is the height of it. It's easy to pass, normal size, normal consistency (now I'm being gross I know), colour etc.

My secret? Well hush don't tell anyone, it's Fibresure capsules. Swallow 6 a day. Packet says to do 2 x 3 times a day but I do 3 x 2 times a day and I try to have it when I'm having something to eat. It doesn't effect ketosis and I have been on it from day 1 and it doesn't seem to have effected weight loss either.

I get them in Boots in the vitamin section.

Hotstuff, I've just swallowed 3 now, and I'll do 3 later, hopefully I'll be a new person by the end of the weekend :)

Keep it up for a few days hedge! I also try to space it morning and evening, not sure it makes any difference but can't be hurting.

Make sure you have a good clear out first then keep them up.

Let me know how you get on.

I totally sympathise I was like that last year and it was horrendous. In desperation I found an old frozen CD bar last night and had that instead of a shake and went this morning. Read on here that they can act as a bit of a laxative, well worked for me.

Been taking Fibresure tablets for the past few days which contain the husks.

x

Back