Red Days Bad breath on red days?

Ophelia105

Silver Member
My nearest and dearest have kindly informed me that i am suffering from of this surprising side effect of a high protein, low carb diet.

Apparently it's to do with acetone.

Anyone else?

Seems the only option is to mask with mouth fresher or eat carbs.

Wow u took that well lol. Im not sure im on EE so hoping it doesnt have that affect on me, or maybe it does lol :s
I dont think you can do anything about it apart from yum etc i wouldnt have though it would be as bad as atkins or something tho.

Are you eating enough fruit and veg? I still try to get 1/3 superfree in on a red day. Sounds like you may have gone into ketosis which you shouldn't do if you're eating your hexs and some fruit. Should keep you well above the threshold. The only other thing I can think of is that if you are eating more meat, flossing is really important as it gets stuck. Important to floss anyway but find it essential on red days.

I think it's ketones not acetone! That's nail polish remover!!!

This is a common thing on high protein and low carb diets and something I experienced on Atkins years ago.

The thing to do is drink lots and lots of water, or increase your carbs and decrease the protein.

I've heard about people getting it from Atkins but not doing red days, just asked my boyfriend and he says I don't get it on red days but I don't do all red days I'll do the most 2 or 3 red days in a row and then go onto green or ee

I haven't heard of it on red days either, but it's all I could think of. Water, water and more water!

I am in my fourth week of red days so the change in diet is pretty embedded. I will prob do a green once a week and never do ee.

I floss, brush and rinse twice a day and a recent visit to my dentist brought up no issues.

As you can see from my food diary (the red veggie)I usually eat more than a 1/3 superfree per meal and the majority of my SnaX are fruit. And I don't eat meat. Of any kind.

I could try more water but my job role means spending lots of time travelling. At the moment my intake is 1 litre of wAter plus several de caff black coffees and some diet pop.

I have changed to red as not lost anything after 4 months on green so decreasing protein an increasing carbs would be defeating the point really.

And this has only really been an issue since I started red days.

Will get mouth fresher tomorrow me thinks...

Hi I do red days, with like one green day a month, and I have been told that my morning and general breath has improved. It may be that you aren't eating enough free veggies with your meat or not enough he. There is no reason why it should be making your breath worse, however if you truly think that eating so much meat is the cause then I'd recommend swapping meal plans to EE or green days.

chazzdiver said:
Hi I do red days, with like one green day a month, and I have been told that my morning and general breath has improved. It may be that you aren't eating enough free veggies with your meat or not enough he. There is no reason why it should be making your breath worse, however if you truly think that eating so much meat is the cause then I'd recommend swapping meal plans to EE or green days.

Posted at the same time!

I don't eat meat.

Perhaps it's the quorn!

Lol it might be, that sneaky quorn.

If you don't eat meat then you'd probably be better off on EE days wouldn't you? Mixing the fake meats and potatoes for more of a balance

chazzdiver said:
Lol it might be, that sneaky quorn.

If you don't eat meat then you'd probably be better off on EE days wouldn't you? Mixing the fake meats and potatoes for more of a balance

I think you are prob right about t being a good thing for my 'little issue' but no good for my weight loss! I'm not on red out of choic but because I couldn't lose weight on green - and spent 4 months trying...

I'm pretty sure it's the carbs as I have had some movement on red so I am not sure ee would help much but thanks anyway.

I think you are prob right about t being a good thing for my 'little issue' but no good for my weight loss! I'm not on red out of choic but because I couldn't lose weight on green - and spent 4 months trying...

I'm pretty sure it's the carbs as I have had some movement on red so I am not sure ee would help much but thanks anyway.

Maybe mix more red days a week with two or three green and ee days, your weight loss may slow a little but you could see if it helps with the breath problem and hopefully as you'd still be having more red then green you should still be loosing weight

Sounds like you've hit ketosis. Ask your doctor for a test.

That is Acetone coming out of you, it's a side effect from the ketosis, it comes out through your breath and urine.

Ketosis generally happens when you're not getting enough carbs so your body is burning more fat and less carbs. It's excellent for weight loss but can be unhealthy for your liver. People on Atkins usually get to a state like this.

Grae said:
Sounds like you've hit ketosis. Ask your doctor for a test.

That is Acetone coming out of you, it's a side effect from the ketosis, it comes out through your breath and urine.

Ketosis generally happens when you're not getting enough carbs so your body is burning more fat and less carbs. It's excellent for weight loss but can be unhealthy for your liver. People on Atkins usually get to a state like this.

Ooops. I like the idea it's good for weight loss. Asits only temporary til I go on my hols in 5 weeks I'm hoping my liver can just hang in there. As for the bad breath - well will need to get some minty breath spray

Ta v much.

Back