• Upgrades have been completed! Including conversations, 😁😎🏀⚾⚽ Emojis and more.. Read more

Banana bread/cake with pics

debjk

Made britmums orange and almond cake and wondered if it could be adapted with other fruits so today I made a Banana and cinnamon cake it wasnt too sweet so more like a bread with a cake texture am thinking it would be nice with sweetened quark anyhow it was huge so cut it into 9 slices at 2syns a slice.

Ingredients
56g/2oz self raising flour 10syns
6 eggs
cup of sweetener
1 tsp of baking powder 1/2 syn
2 medium bananas mashed 8 syns
1tsp of cinnamon think next time I will put 2 in wasnt enough really

preheat oven to 180

I separated 2 of the eggs and whisked the 2 egg whites in a bowl and put to one side put all the the other ingredients including the 2 egg yolks you seperated in another bowl and whisk, once nicely mixed fold in the 2 egg whites until there are no big lumps pour mixture into a sandwich tin, i used a silicon one it only just all fit in!
now I didnt time this lol i think about 40 mins after about 20 I covered the top with foil to stop it burning once out of the oven leav in the tin to cool for a bit then turn out and cut into 9 slices easier than it sounds cut into thirds then each thrid into 3 it works out to 2 syns a slice plus 1/2 syn over so I am going to count one slice at 2.5 the rest at 2 syns I then sprinkled sweetener over the top this will melt and make the top a bit sticky mmmmmm

here are some pictures

Get Rid of this ad and join in on the conversation for free today! Tap here!

Attachments

Me too! Looks yummy!!

Kim&Leah

Silver Member
Will be doing that this weekend.. But can I ask why the 2 bananas are 8 syns???

debjk

Will be doing that this weekend.. But can I ask why the 2 bananas are 8 syns???
My book says average banana cooked is 4 syns per ounce its 1.5 syns I didnt weigh I just put in 2 medium ones it does make a really big cake tho and the slice for 2 syns I think is worth it

I just had a piece and sliced it to make a sandwich type cake and spread with strawberry jam mmmmmm was lovely I suppose you could do that and fill with sliced bananas too bit like a banana sandwich but with cake :)
planning to try the basic recipe with other fruits just as soon as this one is gone will let you know how they turn out

Kim&Leah

Silver Member
the sweetner.. can you just use something like splenda??

debjk

I just used tescos lol but any will do, think splenda is better but it costs almost 3 times as much! the sweetener does melt tho and doesnt look like that for long mine now reminds me of the sticky glaze you get on top of a sticky bun am thinking about doing a lemon drizzle cake using this method and dripping the lemon juice over the top so it makes a lemony sticky top mmmmmm

I just love cake lol

Kim&Leah

Silver Member
Thanks.. I ended up getting asda's own, was about £1.20 cheaper!
Got all the ingredients today and a new cake tin.. AND new digital scales so hopefully it will all look as good as yours, I will post pics when I've done it later on.
Just a couple of more Qs, that cinnamon, I could only find ground cinnamon, is that right? And how come you have to seperate the eggs if it's all going in the same mixture??

Made cake this morning. My hubby and I love it. I used Splenda and works a treat. Tastes yummy when you think it has no sugar or fat in it. Will be going in my recipe file.

debjk

if you seperate eggs and whisk it makes the mixture lighter and fluffier also makes the cake look bigger so that it looks nicely risen you could do it without but I would think you would get a flatter denser cake.
I did just 2 of the eggs because that was just enough to bulk the mixture out anymore I wouldnt of fit it in the tin.

and yeah ground cinnamon :)

let us know how it goes

Glad you liked it Mandy :)

Kim&Leah

Silver Member
what a disaster, it didn't rise hahahaha!!
I don't know why?? I took my laptop in the kitchen and did everything you did word by word :( I will try again tomorrow, it was just all burnt at the bottom and about a centimetre thick lol!

Mummoth

Silver Member
Kim, did you definitely use SR flour? and baking powder,. They are the only things I can think of as to why it hasn't risen.

I have mine in the oven now. It's had 40 mins but still isn't cooked in the middle, inside. So I'm sitting here enjoying the aroma, working up a nice appetite! It's risen well, too.

Kim&Leah

Silver Member
Yeah I got everything this morning from Asda.. it's th eonly reason I went shopping, just to get the cake ingredients, as I didn't have anything in that I needed.
I used everything pictured here, including the eggs, so I really don't know what went wrong.
I covered it in foil after 20 mins too

Mummoth

Silver Member
What a shame then Kim. How annoying for you :-(

My son made Britmum's squidgy chocolate cake & although it cooked up ok, it was really bitter. I think he needed to use more sweetener. It's annoying when you make something that goes wrong, you really look forward to it & then it's not very nice.

Mummoth

Silver Member
mmmmmmmm mmmmmmmmm mmmmmmmm mmmmmmm mmmmmmmm omg that was so delicious! Lovely, did wonders to fill me up & curb my sweet tooth, all for 2 syns.

Thank you so much for that lovely recipe :)#

PS. I used 2 teaspoons of cinnamon but even so it was only very mild.

Kim&Leah

Silver Member
hmmm Kim did you whisk the egg whites till stiff?
no :eek: LOL can you tell I've never made a cake before?! What do you mean by stiff??