Barb's going at it a little differently!

Good news first - 3lbs gone! Very pleased indeed with that.

Dr stuff - I found very negative, she wanted to put me straight on tablets, went on about how progressive Diabetes is, that i will inevitably end up on medication and have complications one day... Just found it all really depressing. Not sure how I feel really, she almost made me feel that all my efforts are pointless. I'm sure that's not what she meant, but she certainly didn't inspire me to keep at it.

I will though, because I think everything is going so well, just feel a bit down today.

{{hugs}} Barb :)

well done on fab loss, you keep that determination, you are doing so well. Sorry to hear doc made you feel down, probably "wrong choice of words" doctors are good at that!!! I suppose she was trying to let you know how diabetes can affect you in the long term, and thinks the best idea is to start medication right away to minimise any negative affects, BUT the fact she didn't really assure you, or recognise the effort you making in yourself is not good! I know docs are busy people but still.......
Is there someone else you could chat about it with at the surgery or somewhere else, an organisation or something, just to reassure you when you are feeling down about things?

Hope your day gets brighter today, go pamper yourself and remember you are doing a good job, you are making brilliant changes to your health, and that should always be encouraged and recognised!

Take care x

Hey Barb :)
I'm sure that the Dr didn't mean to come accross negatively. Maybe you could book an appointment with the nurse? They're usually pretty clued in about stuff like that.
But no doubt about it, being healthier and losing weight can only go towards improving the condition and your health in general, so keep it up lovely! Especially considering that you're doing so well at it! 3lbs is a massive loss, well done!
Best wishes.

Don't feel like there is nothing you can do! My gran has diabetes and has been on meds since she had it. Recently she has lost weight as she hasn't had as big of an appetite as usual, and now her blood sugar level is normal and she isn't on meds anymore. What you are doing will help :) Well done on the weight loss!

Barb I'm sorry the doctor came across negatively. Sometimes doctors are just really book smart, but not good at explaining things in a comforting way.

Don't let the negativity drag you down, you're doing brilliantly... nearly at a stone already! That's a fabulous achievement :D

Tomorrow is a new day... keep smiling ;)

Thank you all, as always lots of good advice and positive thinking. I am feeling more 'grounded' about the whole diabetes issue now and feel very strongly that i have to give my own body the chance to improve before I start hurling drugs at it. I will def see what the next FBG is and base my continuing plan on that. That will be 6 weeks from now by which time I am hoping to be at least 1.5 stone down on my start weight, which will be about a 10% loss of my body weight, a magic figure that seems to contribute to improving most health issues, not least diabetes!

Bostick that is so encouraging to hear your nan's experience, just shows it can be done.

So, onwards and downwards my lovely friends, let's see what can be achieved.

Back from pool - 20 lengths done and dusted! Very pleased, feel so much better.

Just altered my ticker to reflect that i want to get down into a 'overweight BMI', at least to start with. That will see me at the lowest weight since i had our 4 children and although I will still not be skinny, I think at 52, it may be light enough, I have to consider the wrinkles! So, 11stone 5 is my goal. After that, we shall see.

Good idea Barb... little steps is the way to go...

I got a little downhearted this morning... I was thinking, wow only 5lb to go and I'll have shed a stone... then I realised... eeeeek 9/10 more to go :sigh:

I now realise, little goals are easier to achieve and when we reach them... they feel like amazing achievements... baby steps... :D

Soon you'll be healthier and it will show... you'll be more confident and happier too :p

That's the best way to think of it OTW. Every lb adds up, makes half a stone then a stone and gradually, slowly and healthily we are getting to where we want to be. I am not expecting to reach my goal until the end of January 2012 at the earliest. If it takes till July 2012, that's fine. As long as I get there. You are doing great, don't let yourself be discouraged, you are totally getting there, we both are. xxxx

Running late today, been a busy bee. DH went and got DD1 from Heathrow, back from a lovely week in NY, I would normally have gone along for the ride but could not afford to miss my Aqua class, so stayed behind! There's dedication for you!

Enjoyed my class, then made the lunch and caught up on DD1's news. Then took her and my yorkie to visit my Mum and inbetween put loads of washing on the line and brought it in dry!

Out for dinner with friends tonight, really looking forward. Bound to slip off my strict rules a little tonight but have been very strict all day in readiness.

Busy day today then!
Congratulations on your aqua-dedication! That definitely gives you some leeway for tonight's meal, just enjoy yourself ;)
Hope you have a nice evening.

Well done on pushing yourself to go to your class.... that shows a real positive change in attitude... without that, we'd never reach our goals...

Enjoy your dinner... don't feel bad about living your life... an odd nice dinner now and again won't hurt.. it's when treats become the norm that we have a problem...

Nite xx

Lovely evening, def ate too much and drank too much but it was really good to have a carefree night out. Suffering a bit this morning but self inflicted, so no sympathy deserved! Just done my aqua class - now there is an incentive to avoid hangovers! I find it pretty tough today but glad I did it of course.

Going to be a good 'on track' day today. Want to see a lb off at least next tuesday so need to keep focused.

It's good to have a blow-out every now and then ;)
Good job going to aqua even when you're hungover, crikey. At least it'll be easier next time in comparison ;)
Any plans for the weekend?

Aqua was tough with a hangover but i did it! ;)Had a thumping head all day, began to wonder if it wasn't the vino at all. Anyway, had a good day generally and hope to do well today too, although we do have a dinner party to go to tonight. :cool:
Our social life is great but it does make healthy eating a bit trickier!:D

Back