Barbs thoughts for the future ......

Yes, I will do my best to record each day what has gone into my diary. I actually feel quite positive about it, I know it works for me as I have done it before and I found myself thinking today 'why didn't I decide to do this earlier?' - still better late than never!

I've had a good day today, basically sat still most of the day, kept an eye on my peak flow, taken my meds and generally tried to chill out. Still feel exhausted but probably about 5% better than yesterday, so thats progress.:)

Feel very keen to sort out some healthy stuff so have put 2 chicken legs from the freezer into the fridge to defrost so that i can make a really lovely soup tomorrow. I will skin them and then chop up lots of veg and casserole the mix for ages. Then take the chicken out and chop up the meat for Ozzie (he loves it like that) and then probably blend the soup smooth, as effortless eating is very important when I am breathless like I am at the moment.:rolleyes:

Feel happier tonight, was so down yesterday but now feel that all I have to do is take the slow road not the fast road, it will take longer but I can still make the journey.:D

Hi Barb.

I used to write down every single calorie that passed my lips. When I was being 'good' it was great. I'd feel proud and confident of success. But when I'd begun to slip a little - or a lot - the mounting calories seemed like a reproach. Some days my 'allowance' would be gone by 4pm! So I'd 'cheat'. I wasn't allowed to be hungry. Or if I was, I wasn't allowed to feed that hunger. Even extra salad or fruit was 'cheating'. (I'm sure you've been there...)

I kept a food diary for one month. Again, when I had 'good' entries to list I felt terrific. When I'd been nibbling or bingeing I felt bad!

You are too hard on yourself, Barb. We all are. We expect so much of ourselves and get cross and depressed when we fail to meet over-high expectations. Although I believe that small portions of fave foods can help us 'stick' to a healthier and lower calorie food plan, I also believe that we need to accept that, where food is concerned, we have a problem. Think of it as an allergy! When we eat too much of the wrong kind of food we get a negative reaction. We gain weight, we feel bloated and tired, and we lose heart for life in general. Then we lose, say, 2 or even 3 pounds - good but not a huge amount - and we are suddenly walking on air.

Because we have hope. We feel we have been 'good' and 'virtuous' and not 'bad'. I am trying hard not to classify foods as sinful. When you think of certain foods as empty calories, lots of fat and sugar and almost no nutrutional value, you have the chance to treat yourself on the day or eat something different. Either way the foodstuff is not 'bad'. Nor are YOU for eating it or wanting to eat it! We can make room in our lives for our fave treats if we plan ahead and try to eat for health at other times.

We are all with you, Barb. All struggling to find the 'right' way - but there are many. We are alike but still individuals. Changing the eating habits and 'failure' patterns of a lifetime takes ages. You'll get there. Truly!

Thanks GG, what a fab post. You do make so much sense and your positive take on my future really helps. You are right, I flipping well will get there. Because I'm worth it! Not because I deserve to be punished for being fat but because I deserve to look after myself better and gradually slim down a bit. I am not going to slip back into negative self beating up; that helps no one, I need to keep positive, eat well and if the diary entries vary on some days, so be it. I said a while ago I would never diet again and I realise that was unrealsitic as I cannot be happy at this weight. However I am NOT going to be a complete slave to the regime either.

Day one of food diary tomorrow. Bring it on!

Are you going to plan a roughly structured menu in advance Barb? Maybe one with room for manouvre? I think I remember you saying that if you don't plan ahead then you grab at whatever's available (my strategy exactly! ... and 'whatever's available' isn't always conducive to my weight loss plans!)

I'm looking forward to reading your food diary :)

Thanks DQ! You are too!!!

Have started a new thread called Barbs Fabulous Food Diary so will mostly post on there. I am going to try to plan meals in advance but in my busy life that is not always practical. So far so good with today though!!

I agree - sometimes, obsessing over your weight and not losing it is the best way to actually impede any weight loss efforts. And, sadly, diets are all too often way too difficult to keep and frequently do not deliver the results they promise - and the consequent disappointments often lead us to losing motivation in the long run.

So, I agree, take it naturally - after all, if you simply eat healthily and exercise (as you said you will), how can you possibly go wrong? It'll be a healthy lifestyle with a nice side effect of losing weight! :)

I guess losing weight as a side effect can, psychologically, at least, be a heck of a lot healthier than lose weight as a goal that you dedicate your whole life to.

Good luck,
George

Hi George,

thanks for your thoughts, I think you summed up my aims pretty well!!

I am pleased to say week one using the food diary has seen me lose 3.25lbs, so I am pretty chuffed with that!

Blimey Barb. Fab work!
th_gogirl.gif

Back