Bargain ready meals!!!

summergurl

♥3 Years Maintaining♥
Hey guys ... well last sunday and this morning me and the bf stumbled on down to sainsburys (as he wanted food) and both days i have picked up some ready meals that were reduced in price (99p each style!)

They are the sainsburys good for you ones and in all i have 5 .... 2 chilli con carne, 1 chicken korma with pilau rice, 1 vegetable lasagne and a chicken pasta bake.

I have frozen them ready for when i come off TFR and although usually im ok with ready meals all the controversey surrounding them is getting to me .. the ones i have are all less that 500calories (4 of them are less than 400 calories) and the traffic light circles are all green (bar one which has an orange light for the salt) should i be eating them?

I dont have a problem with them just would like some opinions from you fab maintainers out there!

I know it wouldnt beat fresh made stuff but at that price (and esp for me at the minute in my money situation) i couldnt let them go!

Hi Tanya,

My Pharmasist told me about refeeding last week (as I was there with my mum who is due to refeed soon) I asked her is ready meals were okay, and she said yes, as long as the carbs & salt are low. She went on to say, that obviously fresh produce is preferred, but to have a ready meal a couple of times per week is okay

Clair x

I doubt i'd have the ready meals in the first week of refeed - i'd have them maybe the last days of my 2nd week of refeed (which would be the weekend) so hopefully all will be ok :giggle:

They're fine now and again Tan, don't worry about it xx

Phew .... cheers Jan :)

Ready made meals in moderation are fine and you seem sensible about them.
i am coming off on Thurs to refeeding and am terrified , it is so easy when you dont have to think about food. I will have another 8 lbs to go but unfortunately had a holiday booked

I would but its only me Mary and its such a waste and way more expensive to cook it all just for me - and i only have one poxy drawer in the freezer so no room for freezing much more than my meat. Hency why i lived on bloody chicken and veg and salmon last time i was off tfr. :sigh:

LOL and where do you suggest i put a small freezer? I already have a fridge in my room! LOL

I don't actually think they ARE as crappy as they used to be. These days they've had to make an effort to be a bit more 'healthy'. As long as you don't go for the 'value' ranges and keep an eye on the ingredients they're not ALL bad news. xx

under the bed! :rotflmao:

I have just watched last thursdays watchdog about all the 'healthy' food available to us (like healthy sandwiches etc) all about the salt content ..... pretty scary really - i think i should check them ready meals for salt content ... mind you all the traffic light thingy on them is green so cant be all bad! :)

The salt is usually the worst thing about them and preservatives.

Got to be honest, I wouldnt touch them with a barge pole myself - plus home made is so much more tastier.

You dont need to make a huge batch of anything really though Tanya, you can make as much or as little as you need to. Phill wont eat curry, and I usually make enough for one, but I cant eat it all, so I have a little bit for work the next day, and the taste is so much better than ready meals and you know exactly what is in them.

Home made for me all the way - Sorry Jan ;);)

Don't get me wrong - me too Mary ... I just think that failing the facilities, time etc to buy, prepare and store fresh stuff - and I suppose having a daughter a bit older than Tan who I'd rather see eat a reasonably healthy ready meal than a MacDonalds or a pot noodle - I think they serve a purpose. xxx

LOL ladies!!

HaHa - Tan - what have you started? You never knew a couple of 99p meals would start us off did you?? LOL!! xxx

LOL what have i started?! :giggle:

Back