Batch Cooking

X Kelly X

Silver Member
Hiya,

Was just wondering if anyone else does batch cooking? Im aiming to cook a few weeks worth of dinners in batches and freeze them, then defrost them when i want them.
Does anyone have any ideas of what is good to freeze for batch cooking?

Thanks! :D

I don't do a lot of batch cooking but soups are amazing for freezing! This week I made a pumpkin & crab soup and a superfree tomato fennel soup.

Just made a load of cottage pies, in individual pie dishes, wrapped in foil, straight in the freezer.

When I get them out I will sprinkle a hex a of grated cheese on top and bake in the oven and serve with veggies on the side.

I also freeze loads of bags of mash, have a mash production line going on and put all the spud through my potato ricer and freeze in portions, then thaw and microwave to heat, saves loads of time and goes great with Joes sauages for a free bangers and mash meal.

I make all sorts of different soups and freeze them. I bought some round tub from the pound shop which are the perfect portion size

i do. i make spag bol, chilli, chicken hot pot, mince, soups - its the best idea ever and saves soo much time

Thank you all for your replies. Were getting a new small ish freezer at the weekend just for me! Its only me and my mum living at home now so will be popping to the pound shop and gets lots of containers and get cooking!! :) I love cooking!
Thanks everyone! really appreciate the ideas.

I batch cook! I am waiting for Mr Tesco right now to deliver and tonight shall be batch cooking the following:

Spicy Mince
Spicy Sausage Casserole
Chicken Bhuna
Chilli
Beef Stew
Butternut Squash and Bacon Rissotto
Shahi Murgh

I am making 36 portions and I have 2 portions a day so will last me just over 2 weeks. I really find it helps keep me on track when I can grab something quick and just add some rice or pasta to it. I am so busy with work, college and the baby I barely have time in the week to cook a meal every night.

I also make soup sometimes and just bought a soup recipe book.

I didnt know you could freeze mash - but I shall now be doing a huge portion of mash to put in individual bags as well!

xx

If you check out the new mag (1.95 in group) there is a whole section on freezing with handy recipes and a guide line on defrosting and reheating :D This it's not out for a couple of weeks for those who follow the plan but don't go to group.

I find the store and pour bags really helpful for freezing sauces and soups. They're re-usable and save a lot of space in the freezer when compared to containers. These are usually available in poundland x

I batch cook everything and then freeze. I like lentil shepherds pie, lasagne, fish pie, bolognaise, spinach and cottage cheese lasagne etc etc. Yum yum :)

Gail x

I find the store and pour bags really helpful for freezing sauces and soups. They're re-usable and save a lot of space in the freezer when compared to containers. These are usually available in poundland x

Ooh I have those but didn't realise they are re-usable! I've wasted a shedload of dosh by dumping mine then :cry:

Yeah just wash them out n they're good to go again. I write on what the recipe is but nothing else....that way I just use them for next batch of same and bish bash bosh, jobsagudden! :)

In this month's Olive magazine there's a whole bunch of freeze ahead recipes in pull out pages and most of them are SW adaptable! I'm taking a closer look myself!

Honeyoc said:
In this month's Olive magazine there's a whole bunch of freeze ahead recipes in pull out pages and most of them are SW adaptable! I'm taking a closer look myself!

That's brilliant thank you so much! We picked up our new freezer tonight just for my sw meals :) will buy olive mag tomo and the new sw mag on tues wi.
X

i do lots of batch cooking as it saves time and energy :) my favourites are shepards pies, curries, bolognese sauce, roast dinners, chicken in various sauces, chilli con carne, basic tomato & basil sauce (for pasta dishes) and single portions of cooked rice and pasta...i vacuum pack everything into food bags and they can be reheated in the bag, either in the microwave or boil in the bag stylee :D (check the manufacturer's instructions first though, as not all bags are suitable for reheating at high temps ;) )

xx

Back