Beelishy's VLCD Weight Loss Adventure!!

Back down to 250.4 today. Phew!

Feel so much better. I think the coffee was making me feel ill. My cals and carbs had probably been on the lowish side and I think the coffee was exacerbating the effects of that - making it much much worse! Thankfully I do enjoy the chai and I'd already ordered some apple and eldrrflower green tea a couple of days ago. So I will definitely switch to tea. May try decaf coffee in future but happy with tea for now :)

Today we are going into Newcastle. M and T are off to see Zootropolis and Little Z and I will have a mooch about in the shops. I also need to pick up a few bits and pieces - some grocery type stuff and some householdy type stuff.

Its gone cold up here (again!!!!) after a lovely few days. Such is life in the NE though! Brrrrrrr!!!

Last edited:
Decided to get up and have a shower and get my breakfast before we head out (at 8:30 !!).

Breakfast: 3quorn cocktail sausages, egg whites, slice of wholemeal toast, slice of cheddar and 4 baby tomatoes.

We will obviously be out through the day today so will have a salad of some kind, somewhere, for lunch :)

Dinner may be quorn frankfurters. Not sure yet :)

Have a lovely Sunday!!

Back down to 250.4 today. Phew!

Feel so much better. I think the coffee was making me feel ill. My cals and carbs had probably been on the lowish side and I think the coffee was exacerbating the effects of that - making it much much worse! Thankfully I do enjoy the chai and I'd already ordered some apple and eldrrflower green tea a couple of days ago. So I will definitely switch to tea. May try decaf coffee in future but happy with tea for now :)

Today we are going into Newcastle. M and T are off to see Zootropolis and Little Z and I will have a mooch about in the shops. I also need to pick up a few bits and pieces - some grocery type stuff and some householdy type stuff.

Its gone cold up here (again!!!!) after a lovely few days. Such is life in the NE though! Brrrrrrr!!!
Well done on your weight loss:)

Enjoy your day window shopping!

Yay, well done :) The water weight is so ... annoying isn't it, the way it goes up and down without seemingly much reason :p

Have a lovely day out - don't get too cold! x

Food sounds fab! Also enjoy the shopping too!

In regards to the "not going" aspect of it all, that is extremely common, and horrible :/ I just resorted to extremely strong coffees and patience. I suppose it's a change in your body! Interesting about the water retention, I live off black coffee but have switched to green tea and boiled water recently (still with a couple of coffees thrown in) so we will see what result I get...

I really must get some of this Quorn food! I love their mince but haven't tried anything else!! Do you eat their full range?

Ruth
X

I think I just have a sensitivity to caffeine or coffee itself, that I had never realized/noticed. Anyway....that was confirmed today as I absentmindedly ordered a coffee at Gregg's and after 3 sips I was feeling jittery and headachey and lightheaded. lol. Yeah. BLEH. So I chucked it.

I did also have an oaty cookie from there. And then a small portion of caesar salad at TGI Fridays for lunch. So not incredibly crazy and nothing like what I would have normally had on a day out like that. So Im well pleased.

Came home and had bacon, eggs, mushroom, tomatoes, courgette and peppers and a slice of gouda. Lovely :)

Tomorrow morning I have to have "swabs" done so have to see the nurse. The GP wanted to me to have them just to further "plead my case" in my referral to gynae. I really dont like smear tests and this sort of thing...but who does right? I dont freak out about it though. I think once you've had kids, it really goes a long to way to kinda take the awkwardness out of these things. Not completely. But a bit. Its kinda like...meh, do what you must. hahha. Bleh.

And before that I have an appointment with another gp to talk about my hip (yes, Im actually falling to bits!). I had SPD with both of my pregnancies. Really bad. I was on crutches and pretty much ordered bedrest as much as possible and was signed off work from 22 weeks with T and wasnt working anymore by the time Z came along but also on crutches and ordered to "rest as much as possible, considering you have a two year old..." which was NOT VERY MUCH. But it started earlier with Z. And although Im obviously much improved, its never really gone away completely. My pelvis is pretty much shot and gives me problems from time to time. And my left hip has always been a bit...dodgy for lack of a better word. But in the last 2 weeks its kinda...constant. So Im a little concerned. Figured best to talk to the doc. SICK of going to the doctor! Seriously. Im not even 40 yet! Yikes.

So, we'll see.

Then hubby has his hospital appointment in the afternoon. Woo. Fun lol

But on a more exciting (and terrifying, equally) note, next monday Im starting driving lessons again. SCARY. But I also kinda just wanna get through it already.

Oh and Quorn. My relationship with quorn is kinda odd. At first, after i became a full veggie about 8years ago, I hated it. So I ate NO meat replacements and loads of beans, pasta, rice and potatoes. And got fatter.

Then a few years ago i decided the chicken pieces were the least horrible and easiest to blend into meals. So started having those. Then I tried the cottage pie - really nice. So i tried the mince in a bolognese - the texture was too rubbbery. Tried again in burritos - nope. Like chewy pencil erasers. Haha Then tried the cheese and broccoli escalope. Delish!! Then I tried the hot dogs - foul! Then they changed the recipe a bit on some of the stuff and the chicken bits are even better and I actually enjoy them. Then recently I decided to try the peppered steaks (yum!), frankfurters (borderline due to texture. Nice with salad and tomatoes actually!) cocktail sausages (YUM), frozen bacon (gag), deli bacon (ok but doesnt go crispy. Nice flavour though), deli ham and chicken slices (both yum). Ive not had the burgers nor the sausages as they dont appeal to me. Theres also a gammon steak and turkey something apparently but Ive not tried either. Also lots of other escalopes but the cheese and broccoli are my fave. Oh and the chicken nuggets are SO good, even my CAT thinks theyre real chicken nuggets. Seriously!! Obvs some of that is not exactly SW or indeed diet friendly in general. But thats my blurb on quorn.

:)

Oh and Quorn. My relationship with quorn is kinda odd. At first, after i became a full veggie about 8years ago, I hated it. So I ate NO meat replacements and loads of beans, pasta, rice and potatoes. And got fatter.

Then a few years ago i decided the chicken pieces were the least horrible and easiest to blend into meals. So started having those. Then I tried the cottage pie - really nice. So i tried the mince in a bolognese - the texture was too rubbbery. Tried again in burritos - nope. Like chewy pencil erasers. Haha Then tried the cheese and broccoli escalope. Delish!! Then I tried the hot dogs - foul! Then they changed the recipe a bit on some of the stuff and the chicken bits are even better and I actually enjoy them. Then recently I decided to try the peppered steaks (yum!), frankfurters (borderline due to texture. Nice with salad and tomatoes actually!) cocktail sausages (YUM), frozen bacon (gag), deli bacon (ok but doesnt go crispy. Nice flavour though), deli ham and chicken slices (both yum). Ive not had the burgers nor the sausages as they dont appeal to me. Theres also a gammon steak and turkey something apparently but Ive not tried either. Also lots of other escalopes but the cheese and broccoli are my fave. Oh and the chicken nuggets are SO good, even my CAT thinks theyre real chicken nuggets. Seriously!! Obvs some of that is not exactly SW or indeed diet friendly in general. But thats my blurb on quorn.

:)

Thanks for the tips! Definitely going to have to try some of them!! The peppered steaks sound wonderful!

Thanks again!

Ruth
X

Morning :)

I had a day of "meh" yesterday and was off plan. Im starting to (already!!) feel disillusioned with SW. It just flies in the face of lots of what I believe to be true about nutrition and health. Mainly the low fat thing. I just keep thinking how chemically altered foods like that simply cannot be healthy. They take out the fat and replace it with what? Sugars (not refined, no. but sugar has so many forms and variations). "Stabilizers" - basically a chemical sh!tstorm of who knows what. And personally, I think i would rather have a small amount of naturally occurring fat than a frankenstein's monster version. Fat is, after all, a basic macro. And very much necessary in a healthy diet. Just like protein and complex carbs. So im struggling on the science/health front with this.

I wasnt crazed yesterday. I didnt go and buy loads of rubbish and scoff the lot. I did, however, have quite a lot of chocolate and cheese. The sugar craving has never lessened and I think that this is because the plan calls for loads of fruit and also the sugar in the low-fat products. I have problems with sugar at the best of times but usually I can get it under control during the very beginning of a diet when Im super motivated and READY TO DO THIS - you know that phase? lol. But this time...it seems like biologically I simply cannot shake it. And that's annoying.

Woke up this morning and wanted exante pancakes. Really bad. lol. So I made a pack and had it with some eggs. Checked the "syns" in it (after I had eaten them of course. :rolleyes: hahaha) and its TEN. L O L . That's insane. But ok. Im plodding on for now though. 22 weeks and a day until we set off on our hols. And 19 weeks and 5 days until my birthday. I would love to give myself the gift of being back at goal (which is my lowest reached on vlcd and about 40lbs away). that works out to 1.8lbs a week. I should easily be able to manage that. But I wont if i keep playing about. So I will plod on for now. I really need to figure out what works for me, both in giving actual weight loss results, also in my veggie lifestyle and also and possibly most importantly in working harmoniously within the beliefs I hold toward good health on a physiological level.

Anyway. Ive had my eggs and a little 15g sprinkling of cheese with exante pancakes this morning (theyre so delicious. its silly. and they dont make me feel ill or heavy like real ones!) and some dilutey juice and a cup of chai.

Doing some laundry and watching the weather trip all over itself - not knowing what it wants to do. It was partly cloudy and partly sunny and snowing all at the same time this morning when we woke up. It did quite a bit of snow-flurry/hail/bright blue and windy/rain/blowin' a gale craziness yesterday and it seems we may be in for more of the same today. haha. Hilarious!

Oh and I did get some decaff coffee as when I got in from the doc yesterday i was freezing and wanted a cup of coffee. So I had a cup of decaff and there was a subtle difference but not much of one and it was fine. Also, the one cup was plenty and didnt make me ill. Fab. Will probably have another cup this afternoon. The lack of caffeine means no addiction and therefore a cup a day is sufficient!

Morning, I know just where your coming from with the low fat no sugar type of stuff. I'm so against all that rubbish, like you I'd rather have the real thing, butter, olive or coconut oil rather than the low fat versions, I hate sugar substitutes too, I'd rather cutback elsewhere where calories are concerned as proper food is so much more satisfying anyway.
Do you exercise? I don't, I seriously hate getting sweaty but I think ultimately if I really want my old body back I've got to do something
physical. I can't get out easily - 4 kids and hubby works away Monday to Friday - so I've got to do something at home. I'm forever reading up on diets & deciding which one is 'the' one for me - ha, so many haven't been...
Anyway for a while now I've been following Joe Wicks and his Lean in 15 plan. There's a few Facebook groups following it and I'm not reading any negativity really, lots of food in the main and HIIT 4 x a week, sounds doable. Have you heard of him? I ordered his first book yesterday and have joined a couple of the FB groups so I'm following progress, it's pretty inspiring really and lots of the results are not that dissimilar to VLCD's but with the advantage that all those wobbly bits are firmed up. I'm planning to lose some more weight doing what I'm doing and then I'm hoping to jump ship and follow Joes plan x

I havent heard of him, no. But sounds brilliant Porsche, thanks! I will definitely check it out. And the first paragraph you wrote couldve been written by me. I do have sweeteners but I really HATE doing it and must absolutely ween myself off. I KNOW its totally unhealthy. Ive cut way way back on fizzy pop over the last few months. I used to drink loads of diet soda. So im quite pleased with that. And its baby steps. But the low fat mayos and low fat this and that...and frylight. OMG fry light just SMELLS of chemicals not fit for consumption. I dont know how people use it tbh. Bleurgh.

And Im forever looking for THE PERFECT DIET that ticks all of my (obviously highly demanding) boxes. I just dont think SW is it. I do love that they advocate lots of fresh veg etc. But if I strip it back that's pretty much it. So a real-food based plan is ideal, for long-term as VLCD really isnt suitable or sustainable long term. But one which delivers proper results that keeps me motivated and encouraged and also a physical change in my body that I can see simply by the way my clothes fit and my body feels.

my only issue is that the reason I was at the doc yesterday was because ive had a dodgy hip (or what i thought was my hip) for ...well...since i was pregnant with T (my eldest). I had SPD with her from about 22 weeks and was in crutches, signed off work and order bedrest as much as possible. Then again with Z from about 17weeks and was again on crutches and ordered to rest as much as possible. It mostly rectified itself after a few months both times but ive always have a problematic pelvis since then. It twinges now and then. And my hip would get sorta dull-achey from time to time and often at night. Well the last month or so its gotten progressively worse and the last 2 weeks ive had a constant ache and trouble walking when i get up from sitting etc. Its even to the point that i wake in the night with the pain. So Ive been told no more Zumba (which, tbf I only did a few times since january. lol) and referred to the in house physio. My first appointment is 12th May and we will see what the deal is then. but the GP did inform me that the bit i was showing her that hurts is actually my pelvic bone area - so not actually my hip. Although the bit she shows me is my hip does ache from time to time too but the main bit is my pelvis and is most likely damage done during pregnancy. Hopefully it will get sorted but in the mean time Im staying away from exercise. Which guts me a bit because I too know that I will have to get some workouts going (and HIIT is something ive always wanted to try!) to get real results and get a better shape.

Ha, I nearly wrote the same about fry light but thought everyone but me used it! What the hell is that smell?? Anyway I too had SPD from pregnancy 2 onwards and coincidentally since 18 months ago after number 4 arrived have also
had awful pelvic pain and trouble getting up after sitting on a sofa for a while and then starting to walk for the first few steps. I ignored it for ages but although occasionally it disappeared it was getting worse. Many years ago I had a huge ovarian cyst and lost an ovary because of it, the cyst or tumour as they began describing it was found to have abnormal cells and although I was discharged years later after yearly tests it's always been in the back of mind that anything could be growing again. I was forever googling and it was convinced I either had a cyst again or Fybromyalgia. I finally went to the Docs in Jan this year where she immediately referred me for a pelvic scan. Nothing showed up which was a huge relief but of course I still didn't know what was wrong with me. I was convinced it was Fybromyalgia now but my Doctor doubted it and said it could be Arthritis, I was stunned and disbelieving. But to cut my story short an x-Ray showed she was right and I have it mildly in my hips. I really was stunned, I am in my 40's but that's not old which is was I thought most people were that had it. Anyway I'm rambling, I'm not saying any of this may be to do with your hip/pelvis problem but it may be worth mentioning. Weight of course is a big factor so it really spurred me on to shift some and I'm actually feeling so much better & exercise is a real benefit too, well that's so I'm told as I'm yet to do any :-( x

YES! I have been wondering if i dont have some kind of arthritis there too. And the weight making it worse is a BIG reason i want to get it off, too. Anything I can do to FEEL better is worth a shot. It goes so far beyond "looking good" for me. After being 402lbs and having a gastric bypass where I lost about 200lbs in a year.....im very loose-skin and flab-y. Im never going to have a "nice" body or an "attractive" body. My shape will always be a bit odd as I have so much lose skin. But I am tired of being in pain. Ive just had a search about for what his plan is and reviews etc and i found this very interesting : http://www.popsugar.co.uk/fitness/Body-Coach-90-Day-SSS-Plan-Review-39398317

I dont have money to spend on expensive stuff and gym equpment or supplements or anything like that. And £150 is a lot for me to fork out on something that MAY not be suitable. But I can afford the book! how is that? Any good? Suitable (as in really suitable, not just "there are a few veggie recipes in") for vegetarians? I wish we still had private messaging on here. HAhAH. xxx

I've not read that before but similar reviews and they're all pretty positive. We both know you get out what you put in but plenty of food of the kind I like sounds good to me even if I do need to get sweaty. I'm just the same I shan't be joining a gym or buying equipment although I do have some Dumbbells and a stationary bike, just a bike with a bit you add to turn it into a stationary one. They both need dusting down though! I'm not going to be signing up either, well not right away, I ordered the book off Amazon yesterday so it'll be here this week and at the moment my FB newsfeed is full of Joe Wicks devotees so I'm happy to hover and read all the posts for a while and read the book before I commit to more. I do know meat is easily substituted with Quorn as I was reading a post last night from a veggie.
Didn't know you couldn't pm anymore but if I'm allowed to suggest it and you're on FB I'll happily add you as a friend x

As long as I can swap quorn for meat, im game! Ill go and order the book now! I have some dumbells but thats about it for "gear". Would love a bike but nowhere to put it :/ He also has loads of hiit vids on youtube which im sure you already knew that.

I think a lady that used to post here - Diet Ninja - she did his SSS plan but dont recall anything more than that!

And i am on fb -Kelly Adams and the pic is of a cartoon bunny lol x

As long as I can swap quorn for meat, im game! Ill go and order the book now! I have some dumbells but thats about it for "gear". Would love a bike but nowhere to put it :/ He also has loads of hiit vids on youtube which im sure you already knew that.

I think a lady that used to post here - Diet Ninja - she did his SSS plan but dont recall anything more than that!

And i am on fb -Kelly Adams and the pic is of a cartoon bunny lol x

Found you but can't add you or message you, you could add me if you'd like to, Angela Paice with the same pic as on here. Search body coach on FB, there's the official one and then some unofficial closed groups on there, you'll be added pretty quickly if you ask to join, it's quite inspiring x

I just read in the unofficial lean in 15 book fb group that its just a cookery book with recipes in and not the plan itself. So its the meals to go along with the first cycle. Boo.

A bit gutted too as I was hoping that I could have a look at the plan or have some guidance for it via the book!! I dunno what to doooooo. HAHAHA. Been here before...eh? fml.

------------------------------------------------------
Ok. I asked in the unofficial group and apparently quite a few do simply use his HIIT workouts online and recipes from the book. So i will probably do that.

Last edited:
I was a bit gutted at that, thought the book was not just recipes so I've just gone back to Amazon to have another look. I've read the first few reviews - a great one about 5 in from KirstyG - and it does include info on HIIT although I suppose no matter what is shown in a book it's always going to be easier to follow on screen. I don't think its just cooking I think there's a lot more and it's under £8 so pretty good with such good reviews. I'm not on Instagram but I may get an account sorted to follow him. What did you think to the unofficial group?
Just got back from my 9 year olds parents evening to find freshly baked bread and lots of it outside my front door ( we have a lovely bakery that delivers as I'm in the middle of nowhere) this is going to be an endurance test x

Back