Been shopping...

Fea

Spent a fortune in Asda :eek:
Got my weekly shop (I say weekly yet I haven't done a proper shop for weeks), bought a slow cooker :bliss: and some new plates (after reading on another thread about portion control).

Now I'm raring to go!! I'm thinking lovely curries, stews and chillis on normal - rather than huuuuge - size plates :8855:

Yay - well done you!!! I love my slow cooker :) My top tip is to serve curries and casseroles etc in bowls like small pasta bowls - doesn't look much but cuts the portion down and lets face it, we can always have second helpings!! My large plates have been relegated to the back of the cupboard for emergency use only - they are so big, they don't even fit in the dishwasher!

What's for tea tonight then???

I can't decide! I'm torn between a curry or chilli I think.

I'm going to browse the forum for ideas.

Ooooo....casserole and curry..I was going to have a tuna salad, but think I may have been swayed by a curry!! Lol

Oooh I bought a slow cooker last week too, after reading such good things about them on here! I love mine already, soooo easy! x

I've got a slow cooker but haven't used it for over a year. Do you have to brown the meat before putting it in?

This is going to sound daft but how exactly does a slow cooker work?

Nope you don't have to brown the meat - well I don't!! I don't know how it works though, I just chuck meat and veg and a bit of stock or tin of tomatoes in (less stock than for a normal casserole recipe) and off it goes. Loverly!!!

How long does the stuff have to be cooking for, do you stick it all in in the morning then it is ready by dinner time. If you put potatoes into a casserole do they end up overcooked and soft? Sorry just want to know how it works coz i'm going to tesco tonight and if they are good i may pick one up

I've just put a chilli on. OH is on backshift so it'll be ready for when he gets home and then we'll have some tomorrow and freeze the rest for midweek.

mince (larger pack than I would usually buy), onions, peppers, tin of tomatoes, tin of beans, mushrooms, stock. We'll add the chilli powder/crushed chillis after cooking otherwise the kids won't eat it and OH doesn't like it as hot as me.

:bliss:

Back