Before and after menus

Hamsterjam

Out to lunch
Do you ever read the mags and think "oh well, you will lose weight now" cos they list the before menu as:

Breakfast - 44 rounds of toast with butter
Mid morning - 22 bags of crisps and a kit-kat
Lunch - 3 McDs meals with full fat coke
Mid afternoon - 12 Twixs'

etc

but it got me thinking about my before menu and it was harmless but understandable (in hindsight) 'fat' foods such as Amore yogs, avocadoes with salads (most nights), olive oil dressings, wine, *just a few* Pringles etc. I've never been one for chocolate but everyone has their weak spot.

What was your 'before' error that in hindsight wasn't obvious but all the same, bad?

Linda

salmon, couscous and avocado... LOTS of it!

really quite a healthy meal, fats/fibre/protein wise... but soooo many calories! :eek:

i am also a 'chewy sweets' obsessive... which really didn't help matters :eek:

See, that's what I mean - healthy (bar the chewies - I do like a boiled sweet meself ;)) but something wasn't doing it for you was it? It's them damned avocadoes :rolleyes:

yep - avocadoes are eeeevil! :p on my first day doing SW a few months ago, i thought they were free and had a WHOLE one chopped with my dinner (salad and salmon) :eek: oops! lol

Well wine obviously! (keeping my arteries healthy! :p) And CHEESE! I love the stuff but it's packed with fat and salt. I used to virtuously weigh it out, and then notice I hadn't cut it straight, so I'd straighten it up and put the bits in my mouth!

I used to virtuously weigh it out, and then notice I hadn't cut it straight, so I'd straighten it up and put the bits in my mouth!

Hahahahaha! See? You were just being TIDY!

I ate FAR too much toast, and bread generally. Wholemeal and all that but certainly too much.

Oooh good thread!

Bread is a bit of a downfall - I'd not realised until I noticed whenever I fall off the wagon, the first thing I want is copious amounts of fresh white bread (and butter...)

Also treating myself to home cooked puddings in winter, things like crumbles & custard. I nearly fainted when I checked the calorie content of a Gu pudding the other day, one teeny chocolate pud was nearly 500 calories. Add that to a big dinner and you've had your recommended daily intake for the day, not counting breakfast and lunch.

I know we don't need to count calories on SW, but when you add syn style food into the mix, you can see why we need to limit them. Eeeeeek.

Also wine, I could easily share a bottle most evenings with my OH. That equates to a couple chocolate bars or slices of pizza. Whoops! ;)

I am a snack person, so it was nibbles "here and there" that of course had no calories LOL. Full fat houmous, avocados, cheese, and pear cider or wine.

Ah the good old days! :)
xx

Bread and wine are my downfalls! Fresh white bread with loads of butter.... and not your mamby pamby spread stuff, honest to goodness butter. It's a distant memory now :(

Yup- agree. I always used to think "I don't deserve to be fat because I don't eat take outs, pizzas, chocolate mountains, etc like those people in magazines", but..................

I used to buy a bottle of olive oil every 2 weeks, eat granola for breakfast thinking it was healthy (it is PACKED with fat) regularly have crusty bread with pate and cheese for my dinner (much more fat than pizza when you think about it) and half a bottle of wine practically every night, I could never sit down and watch tv with a cup of tea without a bit of cake/chocolate/biscuit and would have a bucket of popcorn every week at the cinema. I train for a job so every breaktime I would have muffins or biccies left out, and I always felt I was being healthly not having the cooked breakfast when staying in hotels for work, but would have toast, butter and honey instead.

So my 'old' menu would say:

Breakfast: Granola or toast
Lunch: Sandwich or wrap
Dinner: Meat with pasta or veg
Snack: Biscuit or piece of chocolate

.....and yet I weighed 19 stone???? It didn't seem fair, but the devil is all in the detail
x

Fab thread!

My meals were always okay, being an old SWer before this time round, I used fry light, cut fat off bacon, grilled stuff, no butter on bread, skimmed milk etc BUT I'd have garlic bread with pasta, naan bread (not a mini one) with curry, all the extras with my mushroom chow mein.
My lunches were a salad and cottage cheese or ryvita and lots of fruit but then I'd often get a pastie from the shop (depending where I was) or a cake or a piece of quiche. Bad!
Weekends were not so good, pizza, garlic bread, dips and doritos - a bag full.....

All the good habits were there but there were a lot of bad ones!

Bread, really lovely fresh crusty granary bread with butter and strong flavoured cheddar cheese mmm.....
and really hot and spicy curries - (but I still enjoy these SW style)......
and full cream milk latte's and capuchinno's with a fresh jammy or custard do-nut......haven't gone down that road for 4 months now though, LOL......
I now have a skinny capuchinno as a daily treat, synned of course....

Where do I start???....fried eggs on toast with butter, kebabs (but with salad!), pizza, curry, roasts, but with yorkshire puddings - homemade, stuffing, roasties etc. Masses of crisps.
I still have all these things, but 1 in moderation and 2 just done the SW way!

ooo toast and real butter, oh and i do looove a toasted panini or ciabatta. will miss that the most. i see what everyone is saying, i.e i used to have a roll from pret a manger at lunch and think thats not bad, when i checked the website there were about 780 cals per roll (yikes!) :wave_cry:

i too love those before and after stories of menus, they look contrived a lot of the time!

breakfast - nothing (they always do this to really show this person was NOT healthy) lol
lunch - burger and crisps
dinner - 5 burgers, 2 plates of pasta, 3 mars and a twix
supper - 9 rounds of toast with butter and nutella

Hi, where do I start. Like most, I made quite healthy dishes when I made them myself (albeit with olive oil, which I miss). However, add very regular cakes, chocolate, biscuits into the mix, plus ready-made sandwiches every day for lunch (even if they were the low-fat ones), and it was bad. One thing I really miss now is toast. Since I can't stand low-fat spreads and they are synned anyway, I only have it dry or with cottage cheese (not the same).

fresh crusty bread, tiger rolls, pies, pasties, pork pies, unlimited amounts of butter, if i eat any of this now i suffer bad heart burn so only have it when i feel the need to really have to have it

haha mine looked like that exaggerated first one that you posted, with the 20billion toasts with butter.

When i was hugely huge my menu was like...

2 large bowls rice krispies with whole milk, sugar and cream
4 rounds of thick white toast with utterly butterly - sometimes one large slice with jam or marmalade or nutella, or sometimes one of each and a plain one with extra butter.

Mid morning, 3 packs of McCoys ready salted and a chocolate bar, normally a dairy milk, the more solid the chocolate the better.

Lunch: KFC 3 peice variety meal and a chicken tower burger or fish n chips or 3 double cheeseburgers and a chicken sandwich meal from Maccies or Burger King, double XL bacon cheeseburgers and a chicken royale were my favourite. (note the absence of 'or' within these meals - I would have them both!)

Afternoon - nothing, because I am being 'good'

Dinner - starrrrving from all the dieting i'd done in the afternoon... so i'd go to the Chinese 9en route from the newsies eating a sausage roll) and order char siu pork curry with fried rice, a chicken foo yung with chips and a portion of spare ribs. I'd buy 3 cans of pop (different ones) so it looked like I was buying for three people.

I might have some chocolate or crisps or more toast for supper, in bed watching telly.

EDIT: When i say 'some' chocolate or crisps, i mean I would have a multipack of kitkats and maybe dip them in peanut butter, or a multipack of walkers ready salted or cheese n onion.

Wow, that's me being really honest.

Back