Ben's Big Battle with Junk Food

Hi, I have noticed you have really good & consistent losses and was wondering if you could give me some advice? I used to be on Discover, but have switched to the new Pro Points diet, I tend not to lose more than 1lb/1.5lbs a week, but have a lot of STS weeks. Have you always done exercise whilst on WW? I didn't used to but now that I have started, I actually had a gain this week! I wold like to just see the scale start moving and get under 14 stone once & for all and under 200lbs! Thanks in advance & congrats on your amazing loss so far! :)

Finally, in my insomnia, got a moment to reply to you!

I consciously decided to stay on Discover because it was working for me. They changed to PP about 3 weeks after I started and once I'd gotten used to one set of points, it seemed silly to change it all again. Also, I managed to pick up some nice Discovery plan bargains, such as scales, etc.

I've truly used the plan as a tool to sort out my portion sizes. I still eat crap, but I don't completely overdose on it. If I do have a take away it will be something chicken based as that's healthier. I personally love nandos, because it's pretty much pure chicken. Just take off the skin (which I hate) and you've got a relatively healthy piece of chicken.

I am being really bad, but I've not done much exercise at all. Did a few 30 minute work outs here and there, but generally as a person I quite like to walk places, so I'll regularly walk to town and back with is about 3 miles. Especially, now I'm working in the city centre and parking is extremely expensive, I'll walk, spend the whole 10 hours or so on my feet and then walk back. Although not technically exercise, it's certainly a far cry from an extremely sedentary lifestyle.

I'm so close now to my initial goal, although I'm almost certainly going to push it down a little bit, thinking about 12 stone 7. Just want to get rid of my belly. But this will come through exercise and crunches, which I'm not looking forward to!!

Good luck on your journey. Write in here if you ever get stuck or want support! :)
x

Hi Ben,

Once you have gotten to your original goal, and seem to be able to keep losing -- then I suggest you set incremental targets. In other words, I'll lose 5 more pounds and do 10 cruches a day, then when I get to that point... if my bmi is still over 20 and I think I could lose a bit more and be better toned, then set a incremental target. Five more pounds and up the crunches, if you haven't already (I'd up th enumber of crunches weekly, but only by 5 or 10 daily -- if you hurt yourself or get to sore then you're worse off overall.)

I hope you are spending today with your Mum... or at the very least give her a call.

MM

Just reached my initial goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lost 5lbs this week, which I blame on my new working conditions. Over the moon!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Finally, in my insomnia, got a moment to reply to you!

I consciously decided to stay on Discover because it was working for me. They changed to PP about 3 weeks after I started and once I'd gotten used to one set of points, it seemed silly to change it all again. Also, I managed to pick up some nice Discovery plan bargains, such as scales, etc.

I've truly used the plan as a tool to sort out my portion sizes. I still eat crap, but I don't completely overdose on it. If I do have a take away it will be something chicken based as that's healthier. I personally love nandos, because it's pretty much pure chicken. Just take off the skin (which I hate) and you've got a relatively healthy piece of chicken.

I am being really bad, but I've not done much exercise at all. Did a few 30 minute work outs here and there, but generally as a person I quite like to walk places, so I'll regularly walk to town and back with is about 3 miles. Especially, now I'm working in the city centre and parking is extremely expensive, I'll walk, spend the whole 10 hours or so on my feet and then walk back. Although not technically exercise, it's certainly a far cry from an extremely sedentary lifestyle.

I'm so close now to my initial goal, although I'm almost certainly going to push it down a little bit, thinking about 12 stone 7. Just want to get rid of my belly. But this will come through exercise and crunches, which I'm not looking forward to!!

Good luck on your journey. Write in here if you ever get stuck or want support! :)
x

Thanks very much for the advice and congratulations on getting to your goal! It must feel absolutely wonderful. :)

Congrats Ben -- Sorry the job is so difficult, but congrats on reaching your original goal.

If you stay at this weight or below -- I think you can add that new "Maintainers" banner under your avatar! Whoooha!

MM

Just reached my initial goal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lost 5lbs this week, which I blame on my new working conditions. Over the moon!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Even the most annoying jobs can have some great results, hehe

Congrats on the loss;)

Well done on your losses so far!

I thought I'd chip in as I too worked in a Wetherspoon kitchen for several months after University, before looking at further teacher training, and yeah you can lose lots of weight just with the hours and the fact that on a weekend you don't stop moving during the day!

And as you said when you're in there the last thing you want to do is eat what you're preparing.

Keep it up and well done!

@Buzzkillington:
Diet: Healthy eating
Height: 5' 10"
Start Date: 1/7/2010
Start Weight: 287lb
Current Weight: 175lb
Goal Weight: 161lb
Goal Date: 05/5/2011

There is a Century Banner that you can place by your Avatar. If you have lost 100 pounds or more you are eligible to do this. Congrats on your amazing accomplishment!

MM

Congrats Ben, must be a fantastic feeling!!

congrats Ben! You've done so well darling, hope your job situation will improve soon! And worry not about the belly, it will eventually decrease... I'm in maintenance for nearly 1 year and last year I had quite a lot of "loose skin" (actually, excess fat) on my belly, and now with propoints it's gradually disappearing although I'm staying the same weight.

You might want to change to propoints now that you reached your goal. More proteins will help you build up muscles and eating more healthy fat will help you get rid of the fat! I know it sounds odd, but you need to eat the (right type of) fat in order to lose fat!

Hugs and kisses and well done! If you need help, send me a message :)

So a small update.
I had my visa visit yesterday to the US embassy. My visa was approved before going to the London Embassy, but I had to have an interview to make sure I wasn't fraudulant. Needless-to-say, I'm not, so it was approved.

So as of September 21st, I am going to be living in Brooklyn, New York City, USA. So excited. I haven't got an apartment as of yet, but I do have somewhere to stay (it is only a couch) and we are actively looking for when I get over there.

Weight wise, spending 4 months in a camp where I didn't like much of the food, so ate what I wanted wasn't great, and consequently I gained just over 20lbs. However, I am not deterred - I have got out the Weight Watchers diary, tracker and scales out again and am back on it. Endeavoring to lose as much weight before I go back to the States, where I can finally be involved in my cooking again.

So a small update.
I had my visa visit yesterday to the US embassy. My visa was approved before going to the London Embassy, but I had to have an interview to make sure I wasn't fraudulant. Needless-to-say, I'm not, so it was approved.

So as of September 21st, I am going to be living in Brooklyn, New York City, USA. So excited. I haven't got an apartment as of yet, but I do have somewhere to stay (it is only a couch) and we are actively looking for when I get over there.

Weight wise, spending 4 months in a camp where I didn't like much of the food, so ate what I wanted wasn't great, and consequently I gained just over 20lbs. However, I am not deterred - I have got out the Weight Watchers diary, tracker and scales out again and am back on it. Endeavoring to lose as much weight before I go back to the States, where I can finally be involved in my cooking again.
That sounds great, a new life and a fabulous country to live in. Can I pick your brains? I understand you can go from Britain to America for 6 months and then have to leave if just visiting, but if you do visit for 6 months, how long do you have to wait before you can visit again?

You can enter the USA on the Visa Waiver Scheme for 90 days, without a visa. There is nothing stopping you from going back to the UK and then re-entering the USA on another non-Visa. However, you will probably get questioned for your intent, and whether or not you are truly not working and on holiday, etc.

Other visas aren't easy, but aren't impossible to get. :)

You can enter the USA on the Visa Waiver Scheme for 90 days, without a visa. There is nothing stopping you from going back to the UK and then re-entering the USA on another non-Visa. However, you will probably get questioned for your intent, and whether or not you are truly not working and on holiday, etc.

Other visas aren't easy, but aren't impossible to get. :)
Thank you for that. Does the same thing apply to Americans coming to Britain?

Hi Ben --

Congrats on getting things sorted for the U.S. -- one of my neices just moved back to NYC from San Diego. I have two nephews and another neice that work in the city and live in or around it.

You'll shift that weight soon enough... you've done it before, so you know how to do it.

Good Luck and thanks for keeping us posted.

Mel

hey Mel!
Nice to hear from you again - hope you're doing well!

I'm really annoyed... the scales I left at my parents house are broken and there isn't a Boots with a scales close to my house, so haven't been able to weigh myself. I've been sSO good this week! haha

Wow, congrats on the job. I would love to live in NYC. Sooooo envious. How do you get a teaching job there? Are you all excited about next week? x

Hi Ben,

Just go by your how your clothes feel and know that the next time you weigh it'll be certainly good news.

Mel

Back