Bereavement and CD

shrinking violet

Hi everyone, I would like your take on suffering a bereavement while on our diet?

I'm happy to be doing CD (I'm on Sole Source) but worry a little about the extra stresses placed on body and mind at a time like this.

Apologies if this topic has been covered in another thread (I couldn't see anything obvious in a search) if so, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

if your doing SS and dealing with a death , just don't put to much on yourself and take things on a daily level, if you find the diet hard some days don't beat yourself up as you are dealing with allot of upset

Thanks for your advice, INTHESUMMEROF69.

More background info to my personal situation and CD:

I also ask because I've been away (to do with events) an eaten food including carbs and had the odd drink during an evening to remember the person in question. All that and I still managed to lose weight this week. In recent weeks I had been easing myself back into full on SS (still a few stone to lose, have lost 5 stone already) and was back on track with SS at time of getting the news (late last week). I have been back on SS properly last few days now and have seen accelerated loss, over and above usual rate by a few pounds by this point of the week. In everyone's opinion, is this safe? I feel no ill effect from doing SS, I must add.

I know this goes against what some people believe about CD and other high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets, but a recent study put together by the National Institutes of Health has determined that it's really total calories, and not the composition of your food, that really determines weight loss. If you are consuming fewer calories than you expend, you are going to lose weight, regardless of the diet you've selected.

That being said, I can't think of any reason why being on a diet during your bereavement would have a negative effect on your health. I think I'd be more concerned about how it would affect your emotional health more than anything else.

I think most importantly you should pay attention to how your body feels. If you feel okay, then keep going, but if you start to feel faint, maybe you should consider going off Sole Source until things settle down.

I'm very sorry for your loss.

Myself and Dragonfly have both lost FILs this weekend. Mine was very sudden and hers after a long illness.
I had been back to SSing for 4 days then ate (not a huge amount) and had some alcohol for a couple of daysbutg got back into it on Tues morning. My OH works nights and went back last night which in my head was a green light to eat so I had two bags of crisps and finished the bottle of wine i started on Sunday.
Really annoyed as i was probably just about in ketosis.
Anyway, point of my ramble is the same advice as others gave me in sad news thread, is that you have to do what is right for you. Make sure you keep your strength up and keep healthy.
Im fine today and hoping to stay on track when OH goes away to work tonight.
Best wishes to you at this sad time.

Thanks for the input (and good wishes), Oinkstop and mollydog.

Interesting info, Oinkstop. I was concerned about body and mind working overtime and being stressed while on only 400 calories a day. Other than that, I feel fine.

mollydog, I'm sorry about you and Dragonfly losing your FIL's. I hope life gets easier, wishing you an easy return to CD. Thanks also for pointing me in the direction of the sad news thread.

Last edited:
Hi,Iam on SS and 2 weeks ago my sister in law passed away aged 43 from breast cancer.I tried my best to stick to SS but couldnt I did find eating eased the hurt.I only cheated for 2-3 days and on the day of the funeral but Iam pleased to say Iam now back on track and lost 3lbs over the past 5 days.

Back