Bess's Atkins Diary - all advice and comments very welcome!

Hello Bess - a bit late as I'm just back from hols, but I wanted to pop in and say hello and good luck with Atkins!

It is strange to get used to at first, but worth it for how much fuller you feel than on other diets!

Good luck :)

Runner beans are fine i think, well i've been having them.. No idea on the flax flour thing as it's not something i've tried. I count cherry toms as 0.5g carb each and cucumber's - 45g (about five slices) = 3g carbs. So a whole cucumber may be quite a lot when you think about it? Are you weighing n adding up the carbs each day or just roughly guessing? It's suprising how some things are more than others and how easily they can rack up! Good luck to your daughters too, it must be nice to have others to talk to about it and must be nice to also have others that are sharing in what you do

I suppose I'm roughly guessing really Claire, after weighing things out for the first 2 days. I'll check though.
The scales have moved downwards! Mine aren't so good, but they are definately going in the right direction! The cucumbers we grow are the little ones about 6" in length, so I dont think that'll be too bad.
I can't believe this diet, I'm not hungry, it's a bit fatty for me but otherwise yummy! It must be a bit like the ketogenic diet that is advised for Epileptic children?

Morning Bess, and yes it is advised for diabetic and epileptic Children love.

Well......not quite a week yet, but the scales are definately heading downwards! 11.12 this morning, that's only (ha!) 12lbs to goal! I'll change my signature at the 'official' weigh in on Friday!

Just been reading about sugar free Jelly -where do I get that? Anyone know? ( For after induction, Jim ;)!)

I get these Bess -

0000050126071_200.jpg

Currently 3 for £1 in Tesco's. They also do Orange n Raspberry. These however contain citric acid which can stall some people.

They also do it as a granulated sachet you can make up yourself. They don't contain citric acid but do contain another type, can't remember name now.

Some people are ok with citrics and on induction! :D

i used to use the granulated sachet ones :) i could never find the ready-made ones...

stalled me completely when i was low-carbing before though so i avoid it now, although sugar free jelly and cream really was yummy :D

Oh yum guys, thankyou. I'll wait until after induction and have an occasional one. Made the muffins today which are in the recipe sticky - worked like a charm and very filling. It did say you could have them on induction Jim - I checked! I think they'd be nice made with cheese too, but I shan't overdo them just in case.

I'm really fed up.

I'm really fed up. I've been sticking to the diet and am pretty sure that I'm well below my carb count each day, am definately still in ketosis and I've only lost one pound. This is after 11 days on Atkins. What has gone wrong?

Been away for a few days with some of my family including my husband. We've eaten out and I've made good Atkins choices while my OH has tucked into huge meals, cider, beer, puddings biscuits and sweeties. I asked him to get on the scales today and you'll never believe it - he's lost a few pounds. It's so unfair!! He's tall and lean and has always been so with (clearly) no effort at all.
If I had eaten what he's put away over the last few days (and I couldn't ever have eaten that amount of food,) I'd have come back and found I'd have put weight on. :mad:

From all the reading I've done I fully expected to have lost 3 - 4lbs since I began. I just don't understand it and I know I'm in ketosis. Can anyone shed any light on this please? I'm in grave danger of giving up. I thought Atkins would work for me. I've checked in the book and I really don't think I'm doing anything wrong. The only thing that I should have done is drunk more water, but this wasn't easy while we were away because of always being able to find a loo.

Help please? :wave_cry:

Hi Bess.. sorry to hear that the scales aren't moving down as quick as you like, but you have had a loss, even if it was a little loss. you have switched from CD to Atkins right? Maybe that has something to do with the slow weight loss. Maybe some former CDers who switched over to atkins can shed light on this.

Some people on the first 2 weeks lose 10 pounds while others my loss 5 pounds or less, everyone's body is different. I dont want you to give up on Atkins or a low-carb diet, but if it's frustrating you then you know there are other diets out there that might work better for you. Stick with it for 1 more week and if you aren't satisified then look into other diet options.. big hugs hun and hang in there

Have just read your thread Bess, someone did say that post CD you may not lose in the first week. So... worth giving it another week just to be certain it's not for you? (You know I am a CD fan so if you opt to come back, that would be fab, just want to make sure you have given this a fair trial.) Big hugs Bess... you will get there!

xxx

Sorry to hear you're fed up, Bess. I'm guessing this might be an issue to do with switching over from CD?

I think the importance of drinking plenty of water can't be underestimated, too.

Maybe you could post your full daily menus in this thread for the next week or so and we can all have a look & see if we can spot any problems?

Oh, and I work with two skinny ******* who do no exercise and fill their faces all day with pasties, cakes and biscuits, so I sympathise with having to watch that while you sit there with a chicken salad and glass of water!

(Edit: Gosh, I didn't think that word was all that rude - now the forum has automatically asterisked it out and made it look a whole lot worse!)

LM, you're such a naughty girl! ;)

Bess i'd say it could defo be to do with the switch over. Your bodies probably thinking 'wow, food again, best hang on to that!'. I only lost 1lb my first week after switching n then 2lb the week after..

Hang on in there gal, you can and will do it!

Sorry to hear you're fed up, Bess. I'm guessing this might be an issue to do with switching over from CD?

Could be. Sorry, have to be quick so will bullet point.

Already glycogen levels are down, though not completely depleted after a slightly higher CD plan. This would give a smaller 'water' loss in the first week

Slightly subdued metabolism, because you've been on lower calories. This will raise again, but you need to be patient.

You are already not far from goal. Weight loss slows down at this time for most people. Also age is a factor, and that fact that you are female (grrrrrr Jim) :D

You cannot tell whether a diet is working or not until you've been on it for at least a month because so many factors come into play ie what you were eating before the diet.

Gotta go..................

Blasted computer timed out just as I wrote a message! Grr!
So, to precis - many thanks to all of you, lots of helpful remarks. Feel better today, things more in proportion.

Breakfast: (Odd I know) tuna, salad of cold veg, olives, capers. 4g

Lunch and snack: chicken, salad, peperami. 5.6 g ( accurate - said on packets)

Supper: chicken, salad, sauce. Coffee and cream.10g

Total: 19.6g carbs today.

3 pints of water so far, (working away) one more to go before bed. I'll be up all night!!

Comments very welcome. :)

You're absolutely right Lady M, but travelling for work and not knowing where the next loo is and doing long interviews with people is not conducive to drinking much. I'm not always in the country either where I can pop over a hedge!
Just one of those things I'm afraid, but I drink plenty when I am working at home.

Breakfast: Two rashers of bacon and two eggs. Tea (rebush 2 mugs) vits, cod liver oil and psyllium husks. 1/2 pint water.

Oh, and I know it's not good to scale hop, but I can detect a smidgeon lower on my rubbishy scales!! Probably only 1/2 a pound or so, but still in the right direction!! Will keep off them until Friday now.

That's interesting Laura, thankyou.

Hi bess, how are you love?

Back