Best way to start running. ?

Cavycrazy

Silver Member
Any tips for someone who last ran when at school (sssh that was many many years ago) so am super unfit.!! :eek:

Whats the best way to start going about it all ?

Had a min jog round the block tonight just to see if I could do it, avoiding one of my neighbours on the way ((didnt want him to see me puffing and panting :D )).

I did more walking than running, but hey..its a start!! I was counting so many steps and then running so many... but the walking steps were greater!!

Made me realise just how much fat is on my backside as could feel it when jogging!! :eek: :eek:

:D :D

:wavey: Hello
I go jogging now I joined Jog Scotland with a friend and it is great, but when I started myself I started with short jogs , i.e power walk -short jog etc best thing I think is run from 1 lamp post to the next then walk 2 or 3 then jog from another to the next and so on gradually building it up. Don't go to fast to begin with either and if poss try and go with a friend because you'll find you wont stop as easilly.:party0011: :party0011: :party0011:

Let us know how it goes xxxxx

I've read on here at some point of somebody building up their running by jogging for 30 secs for a few times and then building it up as time goes on. So say, the first few days, jog for 30 seconds, you should feel the jog getting slightly easier once you've done it a few times . When you do, the next time you jog do it for 60 seconds.....and then 90 etc. :)

Very good advice above!!! The main to think about is how hard your body is working.... You don't want to push so hard it hurts or gets risky........ so when doing the jogging bits make sure you still have enough breath left to talk! (can always check by counting out loud, but in a quiet enough voice that no-one else can hear?). Gradually increase the number of mini-jogs at the beginning, while you get out of breath too fast. As your body gets used to it you'll find you can jog for longer and start joining the min-jogs up into longer sections. Always listen to your body!!!

Hi,

I started running about 4 months ago and I found it really hard at first. I too came from a starting position of no fitness at all.

The first few weeks I just went as far as I could, then walked, ran, walked, ran etc. After a couple of weeks I realised that I was trying to run too fast (it wasn't fast by anyone else's standards!!) and so I slowed right down and found that I could keep going for longer. The main thing is not to be concerned about what other people think, I used to think that they would be wondering why I was running so slow. Now I don't care, at least I am trying to get fit!

I stuck with it and have been running 3 - 4 times a week ever since. My longest distance so far (without stoppping or walking) is 5.25 miles which I did in 57 minutes. My speed and endurance have improved just be me keeping at it, I haven't followed any training programme, I just kept running!

I would say just keep going, a little bit more each time and before you know it you will have run a mile and then two and so on. If you don't have a way to work out how far you are going you could try mapmyrun.com I use it to work out the distances. I think that there is something similar on the London marathon website too.

Good luck with your running.

Dawn

Thanks everyone for the great advice. :D

Been out again today, but it was more walk than run, but its a start. I have read all the above and am starting very slowly, and do hope to buld up.

I cant see that I will ever be able to run all the time at this point but its just nice to go outside, get some fresh air and do a little bit. :)

Just got to keep at it.

Again thanks all for everything. Will let you know how get on over the next few weeks.

Still waiting for my ipod sport thing to turn up so hoping that will inspire me too.

xx

I used to think that they would be wondering why I was running so slow.

This made me chuckle & reminded me of when I used to go out with OH for a jog a few years back....I would be going as best as I could, puffing & panting & basically hanging out of my ass(!) & he would be walking backwards......

Now I can happily run a fair distance (probably about 6 miles), can only go slowly but I can manage it. I am looking to get back into it as I need to get fit again post baby!

Nicky:)

I'm wondering if it is better for your body when you walk, run, walk, run? I see so many people running around the lakes here in Minnesota ..... and they keep doing laps around me over and over. It seems like it would be hard on the joints and the body in general even if you are in better shape. What do you guys think?

I'm 4 weeks into a running programme i found in a book called Running Made Easy that was written by 2 women who work for Zest Magazine. I finding the programme really easy plus it has some great reviews on Amazon.co.uk. I've read through the book so many times it's all dog eared now!

I'm 4 weeks into a running programme i found in a book called Running Made Easy that was written by 2 women who work for Zest Magazine. I finding the programme really easy plus it has some great reviews on Amazon.co.uk. I've read through the book so many times it's all dog eared now!

Its a great book isnt it...? Was written by a lovely friend of mine Lisa Jackson... :) I run and the book was a real inspiration at the begining..

Its a great book isnt it...? Was written by a lovely friend of mine Lisa Jackson... :) I run and the book was a real inspiration at the begining..

It's totally brill! Best thing i ever did was start subscribing to Zest magazine! I saw it advertised in the magazine and sent for it. Never expect to actually use it. I usually buy these things and then let them gather dust!

Back