Beware the High Street coffees with 25% of your daily calories

Donnie46

Slow but sure....
Iced coffee drinks sold by High Street coffee shops can contain up to a quarter of a woman's daily calorie allowance.

One of the worst offenders adds up to a whopping 561 calories.

Experts recommend the average woman should consume no more than 2,000 calories a day.

A quick coffee break could see a woman unwittingly getting through up to a quarter of her daily intake.

Starbucks' summer special Dark Berry Mocha Frappuccino with whipped cream is the most fattening, with 561 calories.
The whipped cream topping alone equates to around 100 calories.
And a 254ml 'tall' size (the smallest on offer) contains 369 calories.

However, a tall iced coffee has just three calories - making it the healthiest option tested. A 591ml large, or 'venti', iced coffee has just five calories.

At Caffe Nero, a large serving of Double Chocolate Frappe and Mocha Frappe Latte with semiskimmed milk each came in at 483 calories. Switching to a 'skinny' version made with skimmed milk was only marginally better, at 452.
However, again there were healthier options, with an Iced Latte containing 117 calories.

At Costa Coffee the 'massimo' (large) Coffee Frescato contains 332 calories-while the small 'primo' version is 199 calories.

While the stores will not disclose the exact recipe of their drinks, it is thought cream and full-fat milk accounts for around a third of the calories, with the remainder coming-from the sugary fruit syrup used for flavouring.

Dr Rachel Thompson, urged coffee lovers to go for low-calorie options instead. She said: 'The fact that there is an iced coffee on the market with over a quarter of a woman's daily calorie allowance is alarming.
'This is the amount of calories you might expect to have in an evening meal, not in a drink.
'Having these type of drinks as an occasional treat is unlikely to do you any harm. But if you are having them regularly then they will increase the chances of you becoming overweight.

'As a general rule, if you want to have a coffee, go for an unsweetened version with skimmed or semi-skimmed milk as this is likely to contain fewer calories.
'It is also worth steering clear of ones that contain lots of cream or sugary fruit syrups as these tend to be higher in calories.'

article-1202402-05DA4509000005DC-127_468x221.jpg

Ho ho ho..... I had one of them dark berry frappucino's last month (after a heavy eating weekend in cornwall), it was bloomin delicious but verrrrry naughty!

I always go for a tall skinny latte and use it as HexA, I could never bring myself to have a dark berry frap, I'd gain weight just looking at it lol

I havent seen those but someone in the meeting was talking about them last night. Scary thought. I usually have a light mocha frappucino but Ive been avoiding them as Im cant see the syns anywhere and Im guessing they have syrup in so would be quite high. That said everytime I have one I get offered whipped cream on the top. I dont like cream but always ask if its light anyway to annoy them lol

Sugar Lips I didn't realise you could do that. I was running late this morning and had a long drive ahead of me so stopped at Costa for a medium skinny hazelnut latte and have put it down as 8.5 syns (ouch). Could i count this as HEx? Thanks

"However, a tall iced coffee has just three calories"

is that with or without milk?? lol. I usually get an iced black coffee, i can imagine an iced coffee with skimmed milk would be much!!! I dont understand the names of them! :)

Sugar Lips I didn't realise you could do that. I was running late this morning and had a long drive ahead of me so stopped at Costa for a medium skinny hazelnut latte and have put it down as 8.5 syns (ouch). Could i count this as HEx? Thanks
As long as it's within your milk allowence, in the bucks a tall is around 350ml so if I have it as skimmed milk we have a HexA! I was really sad and brought home one of their cups and measured the volume of it lol

I think I had a rant a while ago about how willing they are to add extra calouries to your drinks, if you ask for syrup they'll pump 5 times which is 5 syns straight away and they ask you if you want cream on EVERYTHING!

Crazy amounts of calories!!! I always just get regular coffee (Americano) with a splash of skimmed milk... much fewer cals/syns! xx

Am I right in thinking you can get a sugar free vanilla syrup at Starbucks that is syn-free?

I normally go for the americano with skimmed milk on the side option as well, but when I get off my sick bed I fancy a skinny vanilla steamed milk.

Back