Big boned?

some people do have larger builds than others, and target weights should be based on this, but BMI is a good general guide, it gives you quite a wide healthy weight range, around 2 stone, so if you think you are naturally of a higher build (big boobs, hips etc) go for a target weight that gives you a BMI of around 25, that will be right for you, where as if you know you are of a petite build/frame then go for a target weight that gives you a BMI of around 20, again being the right weight for the frame/build. So yep there is no reason you cannot shed those lbs and become a healthy weight :)

People used to use the 'wrist' guide as an indication of your 'build'. If you can easily put your hand around your wrist (thumb & forefinger touching)- you've a small-frame, if your thumb & middle finger touch then you're a 'normal' frame, and if they don't touch at all, then you're large framed? Not 100% accurate I reckon, but should give you an idea?

Just to say, yes you can genuinely be big boned. My mum hasn't got an ounce of fat on her (oh trust me she sent me a pic of her in a bra & thong the other day - SO wrong but that's another story. Gotta hand it to the woman though, she looks good!). Anyway, she has to buy size 14s for her top half quite often whereas she's size 10 on bottom usually.
She is toned but not muscly so it's not muscle bulk.
I have a medium frame, but I need to lose weight too. Bone density can play a part in weight too: mine is higher than normal for my age (had it measured) so for me I'm probably going to be on the heavier end of normal, always.
But "big boned" or not, it's no excuse not to lose weight if you need to and get to at least near or on the top end of a healthy weight. You can see if you need to lose more weight or not, although admittedly our head does play tricks on us. Body fat measurements are also good.

i know I am big boned. I am 5.9, lightest I have been is 11stone and looked like a rake. 12 stone I still look skinny but have a bit of meat on me. I have put on a couple of pounds cos am pregnant, but when I was just under 13 stone, several people said I looked good and shouldn't lose anymore. Hope this helps a bit

Oh congrats on the pregnancy angie! :-D

thankyou purpleflutterbye

Yep totally agree, people carry their weight toally differently - luck of the draw.:)
When I was thin, I weighed 10st but I really was very thin and was wearing size 8 tops and size 10 bottoms. Friends a similar height and weight were wearing size 12 and looked noticeably heavier than my.

I know I'm big boned. Size 9 shoe at my slimest. When I was overweight, I was size 11. Never been able to wear ladies hats, gloves or scarves. Even exempt from wearing a school beret in my school days as they didn't make one in my size :clap: Envy of all the other girls in the school :D

Could never get into a size 12. Bones get in the way :D Would need a bone crusher.

I know I'm big boned. Size 9 shoe at my slimest. When I was overweight, I was size 11. Never been able to wear ladies hats, gloves or scarves. Even exempt from wearing a school beret in my school days as they didn't make one in my size :clap: Envy of all the other girls in the school :D

Could never get into a size 12. Bones get in the way :D Would need a bone crusher.

Gosh you surprise me ....!!!! How tall are you?

Gosh you surprise me ....!!!! How tall are you?

5'6" Not over tall :D, but height has little to do with it. On the charts they tend to have small/medium/big for each height.

I'm more..well...naturally stocky....not overfat though. A true 'big boned' human I reckon.

I think a lot of people think they are big boned, when in truth they are just overweight. Not even sure how accurate the hand round wrist thing is either as if you are big boned, you can have big hands to match.

I was also wondering about the big hands thing BL because although my finger/thumb touch, I really do have big hands as well (often just a shade smaller than men's! :eek:) and I also have size 9 feet!

But I was also thinking you can see it even in athletes: you get those tiny frames lightweight runners etc, and you get the stocky weightlifters/rugby players etc. It just doesn't make sense that we all have the same size skeletons when we're all different heights, shoe sizes, etc etc.

I think I'm quite small boned - just fat (at the moment). I have tiny wrists and narrow shoulders. Although my feet are 6 and VERY wide :)
I'm 5'6'' and didn't know that height had nothing to do with it - thanks KD.
Anyone know if stature is heriditary?

My Mum is quite big boned but slim, whereas I think I'm the opposite.

Interesting point about shoe size changing KD because until I did Cambridge I had no idea this would happen. Last time I went from a 7 to a 6.

I used to say that!

I don't often disagree with KD, but in my mind that's just an excuse. Of course we are all different and our skeletons are different sizes, but on a scale.
Usually it's just an excuse to allow ourselves to be overweight. I know - I did it for years and years and years and .......

I don't often disagree with KD, but in my mind that's just an excuse. Of course we are all different and our skeletons are different sizes, but on a scale.
Usually it's just an excuse to allow ourselves to be overweight. I know - I did it for years and years and years and .......

Its an excuse for many people. It's also a patronising phrase used by those who have never had a weight problem when discussing weight issues with an oversensitive fattie.

:)

I don't think KD is trying to say that is an excuse for every overweight person. She was just simply trying to say that some people have larger frames than others. Having a larger frame does not mean you have to be overweight, it just means you'll never be as small as someone with a small frame.

I dont think there is "big boned" people as such but i do think peoples frames are different mainly due to where the genes come from in the past alot could be down to what your great great grandparents were like, as for me i think i aint got a clue what size frame i am as its covered in fat at the minute lol

I don't often disagree with KD, but in my mind that's just an excuse.

Brave lady :D

I do sort of agree here, as I said earlier

"I think a lot of people think they are big boned, when in truth they are just overweight. "

But I'm sure it happens.

When I went crazy in my teens. Borderline anorexic. I was still size 9 shoes, couldn't get gloves or hats to fit.

I really don't believe that the tiny bit of fat I had on me was all on my skull, feet and hands :D

Back