Big O's Journal Diary

BigO

I started my journey on Aug 23rd, and at the start of my journey to better health I weighed in at 416lbs.
On Aug 28th I weighted in at 394.

I'm currently eating breakfast/lunch/dinner from a weight loss meal kit, but other snack/shake items are a different brand due to local availability. I'm currently on my second week, and to help me along the way I'm posting almost daily videos on YouTube to share my journey with others. Mostly it's family/friends/coworkers that are following my channel, but it is nice to have the support.

The meal kit only covers the weekdays, so weekends I am learning to wing it while trying not to over do it. Unfortunately this is a horrible time period as it is when most of my wife's family have birthday's so we are going to several birthday gatherings over a few weeks, and knowing I shouldn't eat cake before I go does make me a little bit....I don't want to say bitter, but it kind of fits.

I'm willing to try different meal options, including making my own food. The down side is I'm not bad in the kitchen, but I know I'm not quick, so the more cooking I do the more I'm on my feet, and right now that is a deterrent. I've considered more meal replacement shakes, but I'm not sure with my work environment that would really be a sound option for me.

I'm up to answering any questions, and am open to suggestions and advice. The best source of knowledge is failure, and it's easier to learn from others mistakes as bad as that sounds...

Thanks much!

S: 416 C: 394 G: 170 BMI: 53 Loss: 5%

Welcome, Big O. What a great start.

I've struggled for years - and have had periods losing weight with variious programmes including diet shakes. I then regained.

I am now using low carb, higher protein and good fats - and it's working well for me. I don't do mich exercise.

The really surprising thing is I rarely snack now between meals. I delay my breakfast - so usually eat at lunchtime and just have coffee (usually black) before.That would not have been possble when i ate carbs. I also drink diet drinks. Some say your body reacts to them - but I decided if I lost weight, I'd keep drinking them (usually Lidl's equivalent of pepsi max). Maybe I will stop drinking them next year!

If you want to know more, just ask.

I started my journey on Aug 23rd, and at the start of my journey to better health I weighed in at 416lbs.
On Aug 28th I weighted in at 394.

I'm currently eating breakfast/lunch/dinner from a weight loss meal kit, but other snack/shake items are a different brand due to local availability. I'm currently on my second week, and to help me along the way I'm posting almost daily videos on YouTube to share my journey with others. Mostly it's family/friends/coworkers that are following my channel, but it is nice to have the support.

The meal kit only covers the weekdays, so weekends I am learning to wing it while trying not to over do it. Unfortunately this is a horrible time period as it is when most of my wife's family have birthday's so we are going to several birthday gatherings over a few weeks, and knowing I shouldn't eat cake before I go does make me a little bit....I don't want to say bitter, but it kind of fits.

I'm willing to try different meal options, including making my own food. The down side is I'm not bad in the kitchen, but I know I'm not quick, so the more cooking I do the more I'm on my feet, and right now that is a deterrent. I've considered more meal replacement shakes, but I'm not sure with my work environment that would really be a sound option for me.

I'm up to answering any questions, and am open to suggestions and advice. The best source of knowledge is failure, and it's easier to learn from others mistakes as bad as that sounds...

Thanks much!

S: 416 C: 394 G: 170 BMI: 53 Loss: 5%
Just seen this well done on the loss that’s great!

My second week was not as good as my first. Last weekend I checked my weight on 2 different scales and both said 391. My current weight loss total is 25lbs for 2 weeks. I'm hoping for a better week this week. I'm debating either continuing the weight loss meal kit this next week or possibly try a different weight loss meal program like Atkins, or something like that. Walmart and Kroger where I live are not that great when it comes to variety, and finding something that I think will work and has the types of food I like is harder than it seems.

It feels like when I am shopping for the food I'm not being "pulled" to a certain thing, and it's like...meh, take it or leave it... I know I'm not shopping with a full stomach so food should "LOOK" more appealing. My wife isn't on this weight loss journey with me right now, but she is more likely to participate with me if I did a something like Atkins where she can eat more meats. Her main vice is breads/snacks, so she would have a harder time than me sticking with it if she did start.

I'm still posting videos regularly on my youtube channel but most of the videos have been food reviews, and after doing enough of them I kind of don't want to post them daily. I'm still conducting the review, but I want to post several at one time on the weekend and work on making videos that are...I dunno...better all around. I'm not sure if I should try to be more entertaining, or if I should try to be more informative, or what I should do...

Finishing my third week and this weekend I will weigh in again when we go shopping. I hope I did well this week. I am going to change strategies a bit to a lower carb approach so I can have more protein. I think I can save more money, which will help give me more meat options, and I am needing new work shoes too.

I have some hefty left ankle pain since last summer. I tripped at work and really did a number on my right knee. While it was healing up I put all my weight on my left foot and somehow tweaked it bad enough it has been bothering me since, but I did get an X-ray and nothing is broken. It is one of the things motivating my weight loss but not my top reason.

I had a chance to weigh myself yesterday but forgot to. I did eat some ridiculously spicy hot wings, and after that lots of thoughts went through my head including forgetting to weigh in. It wasn’t like my life flashing before my eyes cause I handle pain well and the heat wasn’t an issue until I was 4-5 wings in. The first 2 wings actually had great flavor. I did mess up and did not have it filmed the first 5min, so I’m going to do it again next weekend, and I hope that time I’ll get a shirt or something for doing it. Hope to have a chance today to weigh in, because I can’t afford a scale until maybe next week.

If you cant get scales at the minute, another tool for gauging weight loss is a tape measure. Take measurements of thighs, waist, chest. Etc. At the beginning of my weight loss had no scales. Eventually got some 11 months ago. Nothing fancy just a basic weighing scales but they did the job.

Last edited:
l found low carb has really helped me. l rarely snack now - and actually spend less on food.

I shop at Lidl (it's like Aldi) and a farm shop and the butchers there sometimes too whch has great lamb and bacon. Diet Doctor is helpful on budget low carb. l eat lots of eggs! https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/low-carb-budget and also KFC, a UK family at https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/ Both have homemade electrolyte recipes good for when you start cutting carbs.

There's research that suggest we keep eating because we don't have enough protein - so prioritising protein makes sense. Don't add extra fats or get into baking keto goodies as total calories do matter. https://www.dietdoctor.com/high-protein

l found low carb has really helped me. l rarely snack now - and actually spend less on food.

I shop at Lidl (it's like Aldi) and a farm shop and the butchers there sometimes too whch has great lamb and bacon. Diet Doctor is helpful on budget low carb. l eat lots of eggs! https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes/low-carb-budget and also KFC, a UK family at https://www.ketofitnessclub.com/ Both have homemade electrolyte recipes good for when you start cutting carbs.

There's research that suggest we keep eating because we don't have enough protein - so prioritising protein makes sense. Don't add extra fats or get into baking keto goodies as total calories do matter. https://www.dietdoctor.com/high-protein
I don't do low carb plan (but I do not eat to many carbs) but fully agree with not having enough protein, I get hungry if I do not have enough protein. If I have protein rich meals I find I do not feel hungry and not eating mindlessly. I always start with a protein rich breakfast which sets me up for the day. i shop at both Aldi and Lidls to keep costs down. Hubby likes a steak so we have had some nice ones with salad and mushrooms. You have given excellent advice and links to eating low carb.

I am on day 24, my brain keeps trying to quick count to 23, but I’ve lost 31lbs so far. The bulk of the time I was on a store bough meal kit in a box, it was so bland tasting that when shopping for week 4 I just couldn’t do it again. I can eat the same foods for long periods, but there has to be flavor.

I am eating low-carb frozen meals for dinner, a low net carb wrap with a few pieces of meat/cheese and lots of spinach for lunch, and a few eggs for breakfast. When talking with my wife about it I made the comment that when we used to watch lots of cooking shows they would often say the fat is flavor. And so far nothing has been bland, and my nose/brain/tastebuds have been more excited about meal time.

This Friday I still plan to redo my YouTube video and eat some 2mil scoville hotwings. Since I can really do slow cook bbq like I want I can still eat hot stuff that is not a sugar based sauce. Week 4 is part way over and I’m feeling better that I did at the start of this journey, and a coworker has been inspired to restart his journey to better health also which makes me feel great.

That's excellent that you are already feeling better - and brillant that a colleague is inspired. Great job, @BigO !

I am on day 24, my brain keeps trying to quick count to 23, but I’ve lost 31lbs so far. The bulk of the time I was on a store bough meal kit in a box, it was so bland tasting that when shopping for week 4 I just couldn’t do it again. I can eat the same foods for long periods, but there has to be flavor.

I am eating low-carb frozen meals for dinner, a low net carb wrap with a few pieces of meat/cheese and lots of spinach for lunch, and a few eggs for breakfast. When talking with my wife about it I made the comment that when we used to watch lots of cooking shows they would often say the fat is flavor. And so far nothing has been bland, and my nose/brain/tastebuds have been more excited about meal time.

This Friday I still plan to redo my YouTube video and eat some 2mil scoville hotwings. Since I can really do slow cook bbq like I want I can still eat hot stuff that is not a sugar based sauce. Week 4 is part way over and I’m feeling better that I did at the start of this journey, and a coworker has been inspired to restart his journey to better health also which makes me feel great.
Well done sounds like you have got yourself fully organised and and getting into the swing of it!

It took me a few weeks to start to get into swing of things. But looks as though you are well on the way, Great that you have inspired a colleague to restart their healthy eating to attain better health.

I find myself enjoying my food more now, and I don't get so bloated and have heart burn half the night. You will start to see more non scale victories along the way. I am approaching 11 months in and I have had many along the way. My doctor is pleased with me stopped my blood pressure tablets and reduced my cholesterol tablets.

You have done tremendously well losing 31lbs you should be proud of your achievements, Good luck with your healthy eating and reaching goals along the way.

My work buddy gave me a protein bar that he got for his journey yesterday, and today I gave him one of mine that I got while I was still using the “off the shelf 5-day kit”. I cut the one he gave me in half to try it because the carb count is too high for me to have one whole bar right now.
I am thinking of trying the Atkins app for calorie and carb tracking to better learn portion control… maybe this weekend though.

It is Friday of my 4th week. For breakfast I cooked three eggs in butter with a bit of cheddar cheese. For lunch will have a ham, cheese and spinach low carb wrap. For dinner I will be doing another 2mil scoville hot wing challenge because last time I didn’t film it right for my YouTube channel. I might have a cup of coffee tonight with a splash of heavy whipping cream, but I haven’t decided yet. Will weigh again on Saturday or Sunday.

Great job!

Back