Bigger people can have more syns?

clairex

Silver Member
Is this true? I've heard it so many times but not 'officially' from a consultant or anything.

I lost 7.5lbs this week but sometimes I did exceed my 15syns a day, some days i stretch it out to 20 and have found this doesn't effect my losses at all.

Have you ever done this / heard about this etc?

xx

clairex said:
Is this true? I've heard it so many times but not 'officially' from a consultant or anything.

I lost 7.5lbs this week but sometimes I did exceed my 15syns a day, some days i stretch it out to 20 and have found this doesn't effect my losses at all.

Have you ever done this / heard about this etc?

xx

The plan allows you 5-15 syns a day, irrespective of start weight. Some consultants do say that you can have up to 20/25 if you start heavier but it's not an official sw thing. In all honesty there is so much free food choice, that you shouldn't need more syns anyway-HTH

I guess that logically, you could have more, because you have more to loose and don't need to cut down as much to create a calorie deficit, and when you get near target they do say you should cut down on syns if you are struggling to loose. However, you would be better off filling up on the free foods and then still having 15 syns. I'd say that you could give it a try and see how you go having 20 syns and if you don't loose weight, then you know you can't do it. Its all a bit of trial and error tbh. For example. I can't eat bread without gaining, even though it is a Healthy B option. I can't save syns for the weekend, or have a treat night. Other people can absolutely get away with all these things. I am well jell :)

This applies to all diets and isn't SW rules but people who start larger will need a higher amount of calories just to maintain weight so it stands to reason they can lose weight on the calorie intake of what a lower starter might maintain or even gain at.

The good thing with SW is it is the same rules for everyone so you don't have to drastically change anything as you get lighter. So whilst starting out larger they can get away with extra syns they won't be able to continue losing weight so it's best to stick to the SW 5-15 so you ate already in that mindset the closer to target you get.

Massive congrats on the 7.5! I bet you were well chuffed!

I was told 5-15, friend joins a class the next town over - same weight - gets 20-25 - Can't wait to hear how she got on although I will stick to my max 15!

My consultant said it is an official sw thing but the consultant will tell the individuals concerned. I'm allowed up to 25 but she said don't go below 15. Working fine for me! I'm gonna follow her advice I trust her completely.

P.s I've lost 8.5lbs in the last 3 weeks since having extra syns

I had upto and slightly above my syns to start with and as I have lost weight I have decreased gradually to let my body adjust and keep losing. I need to cut them down a bit more now as some days I still have 15 and I don't seem to be able to do that now I am getting slimmer

x

I was told at my meeting I can have 20_25 syns but have kept it to under 15 this week (first weigh in tomorrow) as I couldn't find any information about the extra syns anywhere.

I wasn't told to have any extra syns despite being almost 22 stone, then again the consultant didn't give me any advice on green even though I told her I am a veggie! She was a stand in consultant though.

When my actual consultant took over & I asked & she said I could have had more. I never upped my syns as such but it probably explains how I got away with holidays, nights out etc & still lost weight. It certainly doesn't happen now.

My consultant advocates a maximum of 10 syns for everyone. She says the 15 are there to use if you really want them, but that we should try to stick to 10 and under.

I'm 24st and my consultant never mentioned it... though it stands to reason, as larger people can have more energy/cals and still maintain/lose weight, as we use more. I'll still be sticking to my 5-15 though I think :)

Funny isn't it, my last consultant said to use 15 and reduce as you lose, and my current one says a max of 10.

I was never told and started off almost 21stone. To be honest most weeks I use around 8 syns a day, but have the odd week that does go over my syns. I think the safe option is to aim for 15 syns a day and if you go over don't worry too much about it. Where as if you allow your self more syns and go over your syns then you will possibly not be having a big enough calorie deficit to loose good amounts.

Personally I feel its bad advice from consultants as most people use the syns for unhealthy foods, would make much more sense to have a extra healthy extra, rather than syns

I've not read all of this thread just skimmed over a few posts but thought I would add what my consultant said to someone who asked at group about this a while ago; it is regardless how large you are when you start there is no need to have any more syns, slimming world encourage "healthy eating" and by giving more syns it says it's ok to eat more crisps choc etc. yes larger people need to consume more cals than smaller people but they can get the extra they need by making super healthy choices in the form of free foods and still enjoy 5-15 syns on anything they like.
Makes perfect sense to me!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

ally7997 said:
I've not read all of this thread just skimmed over a few posts but thought I would add what my consultant said to someone who asked at group about this a while ago; it is regardless how large you are when you start there is no need to have any more syns, slimming world encourage "healthy eating" and by giving more syns it says it's ok to eat more crisps choc etc. yes larger people need to consume more cals than smaller people but they can get the extra they need by making super healthy choices in the form of free foods and still enjoy 5-15 syns on anything they like.
Makes perfect sense to me!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I disagree it encourages you to eat more junk. Syns can be things like sauces, ryvitas, yoghurts etc so lots of healthy alternatives to crisps and chocolate. And why would some consultants lie to their bigger ladies then? My consultant is an area manager and I have no doubts as to her knowledge of the plan. Sw is about making healthier choices and syns can be part of that.

It does worry me that so many consultants say different things, I think they should print it as part of the plan

Back