bit disheartened now after weigh in - %^$# scales!!

breadbin

ah no not as bad as all that but i don't understand it at all. i cycled everyday the last week, 7 days in a row (120km) and kept a food diary so my daily calorie deficiency was always 500 lower than my bmr but still ended up putting on weight!! only .2kg but i expected to lose a couple of lbs;) ah well guess the cycling + eating whatever i want plan is not enough.

just thinking i am on easter holidays so not that active apart from the cycling which might be cause of it. time to get active

That is a tremendous distance on the bike for just a week?!!! I am too surprised that you gained. Although how was your water intake? Did you eat alot of starchy or processed foods, or cheese everyday (this always inhibits my losses)

Bren
X

Also are you female or male (I cannot tell by your User Name, sorry). I am also curious to compare this to your daily calorie intake during the week.

Theory being, if you are exercising enough it must be the food intake.

Bren
X

Breadbin, I am no expert but with all that exercise you may be toning up? All that flab turning into muscle and muscle weighs more than flab - I think?! Maybe that is why you've not lost and put on an ever so tiny bit. Try not to be too disheartened, exercise is good so definitely keep that up.

Good luck and keep motivated

xx

Also are you female or male (I cannot tell by your User Name, sorry). I am also curious to compare this to your daily calorie intake during the week.

Theory being, if you are exercising enough it must be the food intake.

Bren
X

hiya bren, yeah i was surprised too especially seeing as i haven't cycled in months. i'm male and my bmr is 2100 or thereabouts according to some website. i am still eating starchy foods but maybe its not as simple as counting calories. i have been counting them properly (i think!) and usually end the day about 15-1600 after exercise etc.

hchappyc: i agree with you there, i put on a pair of jeans today and noticed straight away that i didn't have to struggle with them as i usually do!! it was a great feeling and i think better than the weight loss:)

went for another cycle today too to celebrate but also went out for a meal too:)

It's probably that you've built a bit of muscle.

I've just started a weight training programme (to complement my cardio exercise) and my trainer has stressed that I WILL see an increase on the scales and that I'm not to panic/get disheartened/dive straight into the biscuit cupboard because I'll still be losing inches.

thanks lola~belle:) i think its the same with me, well hoping it is but the scales is such a concrete means of reaffirming the good work. did hit the biscuit cupboard so to speak but hopefully back on track now:)

thanks lola~belle:) i think its the same with me, well hoping it is but the scales is such a concrete means of reaffirming the good work. did hit the biscuit cupboard so to speak but hopefully back on track now:)

Oh, I know! I'm really struggling with the idea of seeing an increase on the scales...it hasn't happened yet so I don't know how I'll react, no matter how prepared I think I am...

Lola-Belle and Breadbin, I know it's easy too say but try not to get too stressed about the number on the scales...Inches count as well. This is why I only weigh myself once a week so that I don't get too caught up with the scales. Exercise is such a good thing, and Lola-Belle if your trainer is telling you they might go up, then it's true and muscle does weigh more than fat, so as long as you are loosing inches which you both are, who cares what the scales say!

Breadbin - keep rememebering that pair of jeans that are looser and easy to get on - if they doesn't help no idea what will???!

Good luck both of you and keep strong and motivated

xx

will do:) and i've another reason to lose a bit of weight. at the moment my uniform is a bit on the tight side and when i sit down one of the buttons pops open so i wanna lose a bit off before i have to wear it again which is in about a month so thats my little goal for the month:)

That's a really good goal...something to think about and aim for..Did I read on another thread that you are a nurse? How come you don't have to wear your uniform at the moment? Hope you don't mind me asking...

I'm a mum of 2 and have just started my first part time job since having my daughter nearly 7 years ago..my goal is now to be able to wear decent clothes and feel comfy and confident in the work place. Normally I am fairly confident but working is a world I'm sooo not used to. I've been really lucky where my OH has worked whilst I've stayed home and looked after the kids and piled on more weight! Oh well hopefully this will change as I'm walking loads now and Go Lower is doing wonders...

xx

hiya, yeah i'm not a real nurse yet, just a student so i'm off now til after exams and stuff. then a couple weeks after in the hospital.

how long is it since you were working? i'm sure you'll be fine once you get over the first day or so:) are you thinking of going back soon?

It's probably just water retention if you are not used to exercising to such an intensity. Make surfe you are drinking enough for your body to support the increased activity.

Fat doesn't turn to muscle as they are two entirely different things, and muscle takes weeks to develop so an increase in muscle weight is unlikely. Anyway muscle burns more calories than fat, not only when exercising but throughout the day during normal activity. So muscle is good!

breadbin,
A student nurse, so when do you graduate and let loose on us patients? Good luck with your exams..

I've not worked for nearly 7 years and went back in March this year. It's really weird being away from my kids. I miss them, but don't at the same time...I miss not being able to collect my daughter from school, my neighbour gets her for me and I walk in the door about 5 mins after them so it's not soo bad, I just feel guilty not being at the school gate! Oh well, ore money in the house means more luxuries for the kids so they understand. The worse for me was knowing what to wear?! And now the warmer weather - its even worse...oh well. Just got to get on with it I guess.

Good luck and keep loosing
xx

ah so you're well settled into it already then:) fair play to you. i think most mothers feel guilty for stuff like that when there is no need to be. its great that you get your own time even if its working its important to get away from them no matter how much you love them:) easy for me to say though as i don't have any;)

breadbin, have wanted to kill the kids this morning - hope no-one from social services is on here (hahaha).. They woke us up at 6.15 and from then onwards it's been nothing but crying, winging and moaning. Finally got my 6yr old off to school which she loves after we had kisses and cuddles and she said sorry for being so naughty this am, and now am stuck with my 3yr old son, who is driving me mad. Have logged on to get time out!! He is in one of those moods that no matter what I say or do it's not what he wants! Lets read, let draw, lets play trains, lets get the dinner ready for tonight, all to which he has answered NO and screamed..AAAggggghhhhh...oh well not long now and its lunch time and off to work and nursery. Can't wait.

Sorry to rant but and moan.
xx

Back