Blood Sugar Levels

shakenomore

There is a weight management clinic being held near my home and they address weight through Blood Sugar Levels - it sounds very much like low GI/GL. Has anyone else attended similar groups - I think I will go along tonight to find out a bit more about it.

That sounds great, what's it called - I'm in Belfast I was looking for a low gi group - let us know how u get on

That's great. Gi/GL manages diet through keeping blood sugar levels even throughput the day. It is the peaks caused by high carb or refined foods that causes hunger craving.
It will be fab to know how you get on at the group.

Good morning, just an update. The group is as we thought, based on the same principles as GI/GL. The lady running it is a qualified chef and nutrionist and is lovely. She is full of energy, glowing skin and hair - a fantastic advertisement!

So she recommends eating every 3 hours - 3 meals and 2 snacks a day - a lean portion of protein with each meal and if having nuts as protein to ensure you have no more than 6 in a day due to the high calorie content. You are also allowed 1/2 pt of skimmed or semi skimmed milk to use throughout the day and to have no more than 3-4 cups of tea or coffee a day as they are a diuretic. And of course lots of water!

Another thing she recommends is having at least one serving of oats a day - either in porridge, oat bran pancakes, oat bran scones, oat cakes etc. I can't remember exactly why this is apart from the fact that they are good for you.

She uses the Tanita scales which shows you loads of information (probably too much for me LOL), including your fat mass, total body water etc.

Her 10 superfoods are: Brocolli (and any green veg), Mango and Papaya, Nuts, Oats, Seeds, Beans, Tomatoes, Berries, Live Yoghurt - there was one other but I can't remember it!

This is the 3rd week (2nd weigh in)she has held the class where I went and 2 of the girls that I know going to it have so far lost 8lb and 7lb in the 2 weeks. Both girls are walking every day and have been following the plan strictly.

She gave some simple recipes for oat bran pancakes and wheat free scones. If anyone would like them I'm happy to share them.

Good luck everyone.

Everything she said is all as recommended in any of the gl books ive read. That is fab that you have found such a nice group for sharing experiences.
I love oats now and have porridge every day. It is a low GL food and has a beneficial effect on cholesterol. Since starting gl i now make my own yoghurt using EasiYo yoghurt maker and products. You will find EasiYo in healthfood shops, sometimes on offer, and online at Lakeland.co.uk and QVCUK.com.
I'd love the scone recipe when you get a chance to post it.

I don't know if I could be doing with making yoghurt - is it not difficult?

Recipe for scones as below:
500g / 1/2 kg Medium Porridge Oats
500ml Natural Yoghurt
2 Tbls Olive Oil
2 Tsp Bread Soda
1/2 Tsp Salt

1. mix porridge oats, salt, bread soda
2. mix yoghurt and olive oil
3. mix all ingredients together
4. use round cutter to make scones or mix makes 1lb loaf tin
5. cook for 15-20 mins at 180c for scones or 40 mins at 180c loaf tin

Poppy seeds, sunflower seeds may be sprinkled on top before cooking.

Obviously haven't tried it yet but others have said it's nice.

Thks for the recipe. I'll give it a go.
No, making yoghurt with the EasiYo is dead easy. You just mix a packet with the water and put away overnight in the yoghurt maker which is basically an insulated jar. Next morning you have lovely yoghurt. Taste wise it's probably no better than the more expensive yoghurts but it is worth it if you use a lot of yoghurt.

Back