BMI and Sport..

Purple Hugs

Loves weight.. training!
I hate the BMI with a passion, I don't think I've ever been less than 'overweight' in my adult life and to be honest have been 'obese' for most of it. Even when I was in the TA, running, weights, fitness everyday.. I was still overweight. Now 20 years later I've been 17st at my heaviest and 'morbidly obese', after losing lots of weight and becoming a 14/16 in dress size I'm still 'obese'.

I've competed as a powerlifter this year, and am entering a strongwoman event in august. I ride my horse also but am still self concious about my own body size / weight and feel the pressure to get my weight down to an 'acceptable' size.. for me and for society / our health care system.

I wonder what your views are on people who participate in a sport or are competing athletes who are obese according to BM
I and any ideas you have that would be interesting from a health / psychology point of view and how athletes can be fit and healthy within those sports. This could be rugby, running, weight lifting, power-lifting, swimming, horse riding and many others?

Thanks,

Hi Jane, just to say I'm around again

I went to the Docs just after Christmas and he said I was obese going by my BMI and that I should be around 12st if I wanted to be a healthy weight.

I'd played Rugby since I was a kid and up until I was around 18/19 I was very very fit, training 4 days a week and playing 2 games.

at that point I was 13st 6lbs.........If I had to go down to 12st now I would look unwell, but tbh I don't think it would be possible to et to that weight unless I was unwell.

Even when I had a 30" waste I had 27" thighs and 17" calves from training all the time, the extra weiht would have made me over weight even though I was at my peak fitness.

Every week I train and play alongside guys who are 19/20st who could run all day.

The BMI in my opinion is out dated and should not be used by GP's to gauge whether you are unhealthy or not.

We should be gettin body fat ratio test's and running on treadmills for full physicals to work that out............but that would cost the NHS far to much.

i dont go by BMI, i do alot of weight training and running so ive got bulky thighs and calves, they look chunky but theres no fat there to even pinch.

as long as you are feeling healthy and fit, i dont think BMI matters. sounds like your in great shape and healthier than some "thin" people ever will be

Back