BMI same as my age!!

I feel your pain.(((Hugs)))

Well done for staying on plan today, sometimes it’s not easy and today you have battled your way through and you should be very proud of yourself, especially with the excellent weight loss you have achieved shows you are much stronger than you realise.

Another depressed day. I can’t seem to get myself out of this fug. It led to me adding some things to my online shopping order I wouldn’t normally have - some reduced fat chocolate cereal bars and some weight watchers frozen desserts, plus flavoured yogurts.

I haven’t been tempted by them yet but I know the time will come when I stress-eat the lot in one sitting. It’s just better for me not to have those kinds of things in the house.

I’ve stayed on plan today. I didn’t cave to adding mayo to my salad at lunchtime, and didn’t add rice to my chilli this evening, or have an extra portion of cheese even though I really fancied it. And after I’d eaten I found I was perfectly satisfied without it.
Think we’re all having good and bad days at the moment. But well done for using this time to focus on yo.

I’m the same, I used to buy the hi-light bars but then I would just eat them 🤷🏻‍♀️ Decided this time I’d rather have a regular choc biscuit if I felt I wanted some chocolate and count accordingly than have lots of low syn treats to tempt me! I’m finding it so much easier. I do have some muller light fruit yoghurts though. Can you amend your shopping order? Maybe just writing it down has helped

Think we’re all having good and bad days at the moment. But well done for using this time to focus on yo.

I’m the same, I used to buy the hi-light bars but then I would just eat them 🤷🏻‍♀️ Decided this time I’d rather have a regular choc biscuit if I felt I wanted some chocolate and count accordingly than have lots of low syn treats to tempt me! I’m finding it so much easier. I do have some muller light fruit yoghurts though. Can you amend your shopping order? Maybe just writing it down has helped
Shopping already here. I won’t make the same mistake again. Funnily enough though, despite having two bad mood days, I haven’t been the least tempted by treats. Almost the opposite, I feel numb to everything, like I can’t get a reaction out of myself. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Another half pound off today. All heading in the right direction, although far more slowly than last week. Just half a pound to go to achieve this week’s goal of losing two pounds, and four more morning weigh ins to do it in. I’m quietly confident that I’ll do it.

I nearly went out for a walk last night to get some exercise and try and lift my mood. But when it came down to it it felt too risky to go out and possibly pass by other people. That and laziness, plus the fact that I hadn’t bothered with my appearance yesterday and I was worried everyone I passed would think I was dowdy, grumpy and fat.

Today’s menu is honeydew melon followed by a cooked breakfast of two quorn sausages, tomato, mushroom and scrambled egg; lunch will be leftover chilli from last night; and for dinner I’m making a new recipe for lamb shanks from the SW magazine.

I read something a while back about how humans mainly stick to eating the same 100 foods repeatedly. The dietician author argued that this wasn’t good for our gut biome because different foods have different micronutrients and we need as great a variety as possible of these for a healthy gut. She said even buying a different variety of apple to usual will give you different micronutrients.

I’ve really remembered that article and tried to vary the foods we have at home - especially as I’m now reading so many news stories about undiverse gut biome being linked to higher death rate from coronavirus.

For example, the children like melon, but I try and vary between honeydew, cantaloupe and watermelon to vary the nutrients they’re getting.

I often add some beans or lentils to things I make in the slow cooker. I bought a can of every different type of bean and lentil the shop offered and am slowly working my way through them, happy that we’re getting slightly different nutrients each time. The chilli I made yesterday had borlotti beans rather than kidney beans.

And despite the fact I’d love to have porridge for breakfast every day, I try and vary breakfasts each day of the week to maximise the variety of micronutrients.

I’m also trying to max out on green stuff to feed the healthy bacteria. This week I’ve had spinach, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, peas, broad beans, watercress, rocket etc. It may not make a massive difference but it certainly won’t do any harm.

Another half pound off today. All heading in the right direction, although far more slowly than last week. Just half a pound to go to achieve this week’s goal of losing two pounds, and four more morning weigh ins to do it in. I’m quietly confident that I’ll do it.

I nearly went out for a walk last night to get some exercise and try and lift my mood. But when it came down to it it felt too risky to go out and possibly pass by other people. That and laziness, plus the fact that I hadn’t bothered with my appearance yesterday and I was worried everyone I passed would think I was dowdy, grumpy and fat.

Today’s menu is honeydew melon followed by a cooked breakfast of two quorn sausages, tomato, mushroom and scrambled egg; lunch will be leftover chilli from last night; and for dinner I’m making a new recipe for lamb shanks from the SW magazine.

I read something a while back about how humans mainly stick to eating the same 100 foods repeatedly. The dietician author argued that this wasn’t good for our gut biome because different foods have different micronutrients and we need as great a variety as possible of these for a healthy gut. She said even buying a different variety of apple to usual will give you different micronutrients.

I’ve really remembered that article and tried to vary the foods we have at home - especially as I’m now reading so many news stories about undiverse gut biome being linked to higher death rate from coronavirus.

For example, the children like melon, but I try and vary between honeydew, cantaloupe and watermelon to vary the nutrients they’re getting.

I often add some beans or lentils to things I make in the slow cooker. I bought a can of every different type of bean and lentil the shop offered and am slowly working my way through them, happy that we’re getting slightly different nutrients each time. The chilli I made yesterday had borlotti beans rather than kidney beans.

And despite the fact I’d love to have porridge for breakfast every day, I try and vary breakfasts each day of the week to maximise the variety of micronutrients.

I’m also trying to max out on green stuff to feed the healthy bacteria. This week I’ve had spinach, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, peas, broad beans, watercress, rocket etc. It may not make a massive difference but it certainly won’t do any harm.
Sounds like you're already making lots of positive decisions.
I get the dowdy, grumpy and fat feeling but truth is people are far too interested in their own lives to worry about you (and I mean that in a good way)
Have a good day!

Sounds like you're already making lots of positive decisions.
I get the dowdy, grumpy and fat feeling but truth is people are far too interested in their own lives to worry about you (and I mean that in a good way)
Have a good day!
You are totally right. I’m going to bite the bullet and go out for a walk tonight. I’ve even charged up my Fitbit for the first time in about a year so I can count my steps. And everyone I walk past can bog off with their opinions.

Thank you Fitatforty for the kick up the bum. I went for a 50 minute walk and it felt amazing. My skin tingled for half an hour afterwards. It just goes to show how much my body is missing doing any exercise over the last eight (nine?) weeks of lockdown. I’m definitely going to start incorporating a walk when possible. I also got up to 5,000 steps on my Fitbit. Not my ‘usual’ 10,000 daily minimum but better than sitting on my bum all evening.

Another pound off today, taking me to 2.5lbs lost so far this week, and a total of 10lb lost in a week and a half.

On the menu today is porridge with cherries plus melon; BBQ where I’ll use up my sins and HXA on coleslaw and cheese; Keralan chicken curry from the SW magazine.

Thank you Fitatforty for the kick up the bum. I went for a 50 minute walk and it felt amazing. My skin tingled for half an hour afterwards. It just goes to show how much my body is missing doing any exercise over the last eight (nine?) weeks of lockdown. I’m definitely going to start incorporating a walk when possible. I also got up to 5,000 steps on my Fitbit. Not my ‘usual’ 10,000 daily minimum but better than sitting on my bum all evening.

Another pound off today, taking me to 2.5lbs lost so far this week, and a total of 10lb lost in a week and a half.

On the menu today is porridge with cherries plus melon; BBQ where I’ll use up my sins and HXA on coleslaw and cheese; Keralan chicken curry from the SW magazine.
That's great! Well done. Absolutely true that the first step is the hardest.

Now I’ve broken free of my front door there’s no stopping me! I fitted in another 50 minute walk last night after the children were in bed (curtailed by it getting dark) and got up to 11k steps.

I’m feeling like an Olympic athlete 😂

My weight stayed the same today, but I’m happy with that.

On today’s menu is overnight oats and fruit for breakfast; a pasta recipe from the SW magazine for lunch (yes, I know, pasta, but I was hoping the children might eat it); and Jack Daniels steak with sweet potato fries for dinner, again a recipe from the SW magazine.

Another half a pound off today, bringing me to 3lbs lost this week. Tomorrow is official weigh in day ahead of SW zoom meeting.

I upped my game with the steps yesterday and got to 14k, boosted by an evening walk. Don’t get me wrong, the moment the weather turns I’ll be back inside huddling in front of the TV. But it looks dry this week so hopefully I’ll have the chance for a few more evening walks.

Today is a day of leftovers. Apricot wheats with milk plus yogurt and chopped pear for breakfast; leftover pasta for lunch; leftover curry for dinner.

I tried to focus a bit more on portion sizes yesterday, serving myself less than I would usually. I really need to get used to a new normal there if I’m going to keep weight off long term.

Portion sizes - reducing them is harder than I expected. Today I have eaten portion sizes that are probably what they ‘should’ be.

Which has left me feeling rather hungry/deprived for the day.

I know this is what I need to become used to if there’s any chance of this being a new lifestyle rather than a fad diet.

I’m sure after a few days it will feel fine. I feel a bit glum about it right now though.

Portion sizes - reducing them is harder than I expected. Today I have eaten portion sizes that are probably what they ‘should’ be.

Which has left me feeling rather hungry/deprived for the day.

I know this is what I need to become used to if there’s any chance of this being a new lifestyle rather than a fad diet.

I’m sure after a few days it will feel fine. I feel a bit glum about it right now though.
Try filling up on veg. I’ve tried cutting down portions this week, but I’ve increased veg (especially low calorie veg) to try and compensate and this has helped me still feel full.

Another pound off today bringing me, I think, to a loss of 4lb this week, which is fab. That’s 11lb off in a fortnight. I might finally be able to do up my jeans again!

It also brings my BMI below 39. Another stepping stone towards a healthy weight.

This week’s goal is 3lb, which will bring me back into the 16s (where I always seem to run out of steam and start gaining again, so I’ll make sure that doesn’t happen this time.)

I didn’t do a walk last night so only got to 5k steps yesterday. I have my SW zoom meeting tonight so there’ll be no exercise today either.

Today I’m going to focus again on portion sizes - the right foods, but in reasonable portions too. I need to do this to gradually get used to being satisfied with less rather than every meal being a big blow out. Even if it’s healthy foods, there are only so many nutrients a body needs, so I’m kidding myself when I keep adding more veg to my plate because “it’s doing me good.”

Today’s breakfast is quorn sausages, mushrooms, tomato and baked beans. Lunch will be Ryvita with cottage cheese. And dinner is paellla (another recipe from the SW magazine.)

Last edited:
Losing 11lbs in two weeks is brilliant weight loss and shows that all your hard work is paying off.

Well done👏👏👏

Breaking news: Despite the fact that Ryvita come packaged in fours, doesn’t mean you have to eat all four at the same time!

Well, it’s the first time it’s occurred to me anyway (which probably explains a lot...)

Today I took two out of the pack of four AND LEFT THE OTHER TWO FOR TOMORROW 😮

And despite feeling a bit grumpy about what, to me, felt like a shrunken lunch, it was enough to fill me up until dinner (with a salad too, I didn’t just eat two Ryvita.) I don’t need the other two Ryvita I’ve been eating because the pack size dictated it. Think of all the calories I’d have saved if I’d realised this years ago. Still, think of all the calories I’ll save from now on by halving my Ryvita intake.

It’s all about the portion sizes for me this week, and today was a real win for me in understanding the difference between how much food my eyes think I need compared with how much food I really need.

Another half pound off today. Yay!

Today’s menu is cooked breakfast (using up bits in the fridge); crustless quiche and walnut salad (again, using up random bits in the fridge and using my HXB for nuts, which I really ought to do more often); something from the freezer for dinner. It’s the end of the shopping week for me so I’m just trying to use things up/get by until the new shopping delivery arrives tomorrow.

Only 2k steps yesterday. Very lazy. I really lost my mojo yesterday and couldn’t be bothered with anything. And my SW zoom meeting was a bit doom and gloom too - everyone was in a bit of a bad mood, and the leader had clearly been crying just before the meeting, so it brought me down rather than lifting me up. I do feel sorry for the leader, knowing that she must be struggling financially now that she’s lost most of her income. There were only five people on the zoom call, so that’s an income of £12.50, and obviously a percentage of that will be paid to SW. It’s hardly worth her bothering.

Well done! I've started weighing daily but it fluctuates so wildly, I'm just going for logging it weekly. I quite like those days at the end of the week, they certainly make me get creative! :)

The zoom meeting sounds a bit crap. Hopefully next week it will pick up. Regardless, your losses are still great!

Stayed the same today. Not surprising after two lazy days where I barely did 3k steps. Today I’m hoping to spend less time on the sofa!

On the menu today is yogurt and fruit for breakfast (stop press: it was enough to fill me up, despite me thing it wouldn’t); leftover quiche and salad for lunch; fajitas for dinner.

My focus is still on portion sizes. I need to reduce my portions to normal sizes if I’m ever going to have normal body proportions.

Time for serious goal setting.

To get into the “overweight” category rather than the “obese” category I need 13st 4lb. I’m currently 17st 2lb.

My children aren’t in the year groups going back before the summer holidays, so I have until September before the ‘big reveal’ when I’ll be out and about on the school run again.

I have 14 weeks before then. That’s enough to make a serious difference to my weight. It would be amazing to walk back into that playground and have people barely recognise me.

So that is my big goal - to lose nearly 4lb a week for the next 14 weeks so when the children go back to school I don’t feel ashamed when I drop them at the school gate.

I realise that that goal might not come to fruition because that’s a lot to lose each week. But even if I haven’t quite got there by September, I’ll still be well on my way. And it’s good to have a really tangible aim.

I need something to really focus on to get me through the vast stretch of homeschooling lying ahead of me, without me dealing with it by reaching for the biscuits.

Back