BMR

sarahjo88

Banned
ok so i calculated my BMR and got 2133, then x it by 1.2 and got 2559 so thats how many calories i need to maintain my weight.
then it said to lose 2lb a week i need to subtract 1000 calories, so that means i need 1559 cals a day to lose 2lb a week, was really wanted to lose 4lb a week but never mind, once i have lost it all i dont want to regain cause i have been starving myself. anyway someone on my other thread said that i shouldnt go below my BMR figure cause then my weight would be harder to maintain in the long run, so that would mean me only dropping 500 cals and losing 1lb a week, i really dont understand it? can anyone enlighten me please ? lol :D

Opinions will vary on this one, so to be honest, I would say go for a calorie count you can stick with comfortably.

Most opinions for a 'traditional' diet as opposed to a VLCD, would suggest a 1-2lbs weightloss a week. Some people find that too slow, and struggle to keep up the momentum.

It's good if you can do it though. Make it your way of life :)

So, eating to your bmr calories is good, though in my opinion, 1500 calories is absolutely fine at your BMI. Gives you a chance to tweak it up and down if necessary.

BTW, you may find you lose more than a pound a week at the beginning anyway, as there will be a fair water drop in the first week or two (maybe more) :)

its really just a guideline, youll find youll loose more than that anyways the first month or so! :) x

ok so i calculated my BMR and got 2133, then x it by 1.2 and got 2559 so thats how many calories i need to maintain my weight.
If you eat your BMR you'll have a deficit of 426cals a day- almost the 500 needed to lose 1lb a week. Because your BMR is so high, I'm assuming you have a good bit to lose, so you'll probably find you'll lose quite quickly at first anyway, but for the weight to stay off, it's recommended you lose no more than 1-2% of your bodyweight a week?
You say you want to lose 4lbs a week, don't we all, but you want to lose it and it to stay off right? So why not take your time, exercise to bump your daily deficit if possible. I for one want to be able to lose the weight eating as much as I can get away with- you don't want to have to be 'starving' for the rest of your life to maintain your target weight do you?

Another 'guideline' I've heard people trying is eating the BMR of their TARGET weight, not their ACTUAL weight- maybe that would keep you motivated and not place too much strain on your system?

Another 'guideline' I've heard people trying is eating the BMR of their TARGET weight, not their ACTUAL weight- maybe that would keep you motivated and not place too much strain on your system?

That sounds better, i worked out that my BMR at my target weight would be 1667, so i will be having 1700 cals a day and will re-evaluate in a month to see if i need to go any lower.

wow, great idea. i need to eat 1414 a day to have my targets bmr.......yay!! x

My god it says my bmr is 3,100 cals at my current stats. So I wonder if I am eating 1500 cals a day is that why i'm burning 3lbs ! Isn't that too much lbs, esp if I am still breastfeeding??

just worked out my BMR on current weight and its 1700cals and based on my target weight is 1500cals. im having 1500 cals a day [ish] at the moment, however have hit a wall. i have upped my gym to 3x60mins workouts. which had helped shed the two pounds i put on recently. will have to see if i can keep it up :S

Back