Body fat percentage

themango

So my scales supposedly measure body fat percentage BUT does anyone know the purported accuracy of these.

The only reason I ask is I started off at something like 22% which I think is fairly healthy and as I've lost weight it dropped to 18% ish which I guess I'd expect.

In the last month or so it has dropped to 12ish% and although I've had slightly faster weight loss (well not in th elast two weeks) but before I don't know how accurate this is...

Do you think I should just change the battery?

That sounds far too low, it all depends on your age etc, would suggest you google healthy body fat % and check out the ranges.
Home measuring may not be 'true' results as machines should be calibrated etc

Ive got an old set of Tanita scales and compared the measure versus skinfold calipers and was pretty close. They generally are within 5% and studies confirm this

But - your body changes so make sure you measure at the same time, after a pee, and barefoot. Clean the metal pads they can get dirty and interfere. Apparently 5.30 to 7pm is your best time but I measure first thing.

Have you accidently set it for athlete mode? some of the modern ones have this and it show different readings

I always measure in the morning after going to the toilet. I'll have a clean of the pads and see but I have consistently been getting the same reading for the past week. At first I thought it was a glitch and it would change the next day but it's been the same.

ok i've cleaned them and it's gone up to 13.8% whic is up 1.5% on this morning but then again my weight has also increased 5lb. This will just be beecause of food/drink eaten today/clothes. I'm not sure what's going on with it.

clan the pads, and also have your feet well cleaned... you know that feeling when your feet are well cleaned and feel slightly damp and sticky (for lack of other words) rather than dry and smooth? (and no shoes socks goes without saying)

These machines pulse electricity through your feet so it all has to be clean to conduct the electricity. They measure by how fast the electric pulse goes through your body, apparently the more fat you've got the slower it is!

mmm sounds odd. One thing to remember is that these are based on impedance. a weeny bit of electrical current goes through you and fat-free bits of you contain quite large amounts of water. These will electrolyte and give a return. Fat doesnt retain water to the same extent, so less of a conductor. So...if your body has water retention issues it might be causing odd results.

So change the battery, run some tests and see. You could try drinking coffee, taking bladderwrack and eating rhubarb (diuretics) and seeing if you retain water.

MartinD said:
mmm sounds odd. One thing to remember is that these are based on impedance. a weeny bit of electrical current goes through you and fat-free bits of you contain quite large amounts of water. These will electrolyte and give a return. Fat doesnt retain water to the same extent, so less of a conductor. So...if your body has water retention issues it might be causing odd results.

So change the battery, run some tests and see. You could try drinking coffee, taking bladderwrack and eating rhubarb (diuretics) and seeing if you retain water.

Thanks for the advice. This could well be the problem. I can drink 5-6 cups tea a few coffees copious amounts of water and still not need to go to the toilet much. It measures my water content consistently between 60-68%

Back