Body Magic

Stoo

loves to eat and drink...
Would love to hear other experiences regarding group talks and body magic, I have been to two separate groups within the area and body magic is not discussed.
I don't think group leaders do this part of SW themselves so dont bother promoting /rewarding it. One lady came to group and she had been working out on a regular basis and the difference after a couple months the results are fantastic, yet nothing was said. There are comments like, why do you think you maintained, are you happy with 1lb loss?
I was under the impression that SW promoted a full lifestyle change incorporating exercise and diet. My group leader says that she get nagged if the group hasn't lost "loads of pounds" yet most of the ones look so different after the 6 months or so I have seen them and they talk about, walking the dog, taking the kids up the park etc.
Yet no feedback. Tell me if i'm just rambling.

I do SW myself at home but at my old group my Consultant was great & made sure to cover everything. Every single week she would talk about Body Magic & make sure people received their rewards if they were due. She did put someone in charge of the Body Magic board with everyones names on etc. She knew I was active & often asked me in group about what workouts & fitness I enjoyed. My Consultant really was good, maybe yours sees Body Magic differently? Not sure...

I very rarely stay for the whole class, tend to just go and weigh before heading home. But on the occasions I have stayed, our Consultant has never once mentioned Body Magic.

In fact, the first night we rocked up, we didn't even get the new started talk. We just paid, got handed our packs, were weighed and then told that if we didn't understand anything, to ask. Thankfully as my OH's mum and sister were already on SW, at different classes, we knew quite a bit anyway.

But then, I don't rate our Consultant at all.

Our consultant mentions body magic once in a blue moon - I don't think it's her favourite topic. To get a body magic sticker out of her is like getting blood out of a stone.

Another group leader who came in and covered for her really went for it and talked at lot about it and gave people mini goals.

I think in my group it's the members who drive body magic rather than the C. Perhaps that's what your group need to do and gang up on your C!

Our consultant mentions body magic once in a blue moon - I don't think it's her favourite topic. To get a body magic sticker out of her is like getting blood out of a stone.

Another group leader who came in and covered for her really went for it and talked at lot about it and gave people mini goals.

I think in my group it's the members who drive body magic rather than the C. Perhaps that's what your group need to do and gang up on your C!

That a great idea, I'll get the girls to gang up on her tonight, might manage some stickers LOL

My consultant talks about it all the time bit she does zumba numerous times a week and worked her way up to the highest award on her weight loss journey. Have you tried maybe talking to your c about it while everyones being weighed in? Wouldn't hurt to see what she says about it x

Tbh, our c is really good, but never mentions body magic. I might actually start doing it as with 30 day shred and my zumba, I must be getting there ;)

I have been to various different groups over the years and body magic is hardly ever mentioned if at all.
I joined a new group this week and the consultant is new, it was her first ever meeting, she went through the new members talk and told us about body magic, she held up both the food optimising book and the body magic booklet and said "think of it like this - one is energy in and one is energy out. If you use both these together you will get a great loss" she did also say you would lose with food optimising alone if you wanted but I thought it was good she was promoting it in this way.

I have been to various different groups over the years and body magic is hardly ever mentioned if at all.
I joined a new group this week and the consultant is new, it was her first ever meeting, she went through the new members talk and told us about body magic, she held up both the food optimising book and the body magic booklet and said "think of it like this - one is energy in and one is energy out. If you use both these together you will get a great loss" she did also say you would lose with food optimising alone if you wanted but I thought it was good she was promoting it in this way.

what a great way of thinking about it

Would love to hear other experiences regarding group talks and body magic, I have been to two separate groups within the area and body magic is not discussed.
I don't think group leaders do this part of SW themselves so dont bother promoting /rewarding it. One lady came to group and she had been working out on a regular basis and the difference after a couple months the results are fantastic, yet nothing was said. There are comments like, why do you think you maintained, are you happy with 1lb loss?
I was under the impression that SW promoted a full lifestyle change incorporating exercise and diet. My group leader says that she get nagged if the group hasn't lost "loads of pounds" yet most of the ones look so different after the 6 months or so I have seen them and they talk about, walking the dog, taking the kids up the park etc.
Yet no feedback. Tell me if i'm just rambling.

Quite right Stoo!

Our group pay lip-service to BM. I believe it is an integral part of the SW regime. It got me from 17st 7lb to target (10st 8lb at lowest). Yes food paid a large part of it, but my walking several miles per day helped reach target in approx 37 weeks.

Speaking of rambling - it was joining my local rambling club that was the biggest factor for me.

I stay in group every week and our consultant who is great always mentions body magic and just this week at weigh in 3 members including myself got body magic awards look lovely on your books well chuffed xx

Quite right Stoo!

Our group pay lip-service to BM. I believe it is an integral part of the SW regime. It got me from 17st 7lb to target (10st 8lb at lowest). Yes food paid a large part of it, but my walking several miles per day helped reach target in approx 37 weeks.

Speaking of rambling - it was joining my local rambling club that was the biggest factor for me.

I'd love to go rambling but am afraid of not keeping up!

I'd love to go rambling but am afraid of not keeping up!
That was me on my first trip! - I was keeping the rest waiting:eek:

I'm now fitter and stronger and as i'm younger than most often first to the milestones. It isn't a race though and most ramblers groups have 3 levels short, medium and long.

Short walkers are grea Shirleen - have a google see if you have a local group.

As for BM awards. I got my bronze, silver gold and platinum awards for walking a minimum of 1.5 miles per day every single day (much more at weekends) for over 8 months. Others got their's for walking their pooch for 20 minutes or one person go hers as she cleans offices for a living- I guess it's all relative;)

I chose walkng as less joint-impact than jogging:eek:

Our c is also the area manager and as far as I`m concerned she can walk on water!!

She mentions body magic every week and gives out awards. They are a real boost along with your weight loss awards. It is possible to lose weight without BM. Our c said this is so that those with mobility problems are included. BM will speed up weight loss.

You can always add your own stickers on here!!

Our consultant tells us we need to remind her about BM, she did do a talk after an assessment by the Area Manager.
Only other time I've heard it mentioned (in all three of the groups I've attended) is when leaflets need handing out!!!
Although our consultant did say that SW were in talks with PureGym about membership deals, but the Gym webbie says no corporate deals so I can't see that happening!

Took stoffies advice and had a chat with the consultant ref body magic and she has agreed to do a talk next week. I explained to here that I do between 8 to 10 hours at classes at the gym and I got all my stickers in one go.

I really like my consultant and couldn't fault her on anything else but she never gives out body magic awards! She says probably every 2 weeks 'I need to get the body magic awards going' but to my knowlage has never actually given one out. There are quite a few of us in class who are quite active and one lady even offered to give the BM awards out to people who came and told her what exercise they did.

Still no luck though lol.

I have also seen this phenomena before when all the BM stickers are given out at once!

I just don't get this. I did it properly by meticulously recording hundreds of miles over a 12 months period! - ok this was my choice, but I did them one at a time with the requisite weeks in between.

Perhaps it is a common thesme among all groups that BM is lacking and you're expected to DIY or find out for yourself? - strange really, as it is an integral part of the plan imo.

I've even offered to lead walks - at any level from our local group just for fun and the benefit of the group in my own time. Sadly, nobody had the time/inclination.:(

Maximus that's such a shame no one took you up on the offer of walking. I wish my group did something like that. My group just go and sit in costa n drink coffee n iv yet to be invited!

Back