BOGUS EMAIL - VIRUS WARNING

I will succeed!!!
Hi all -

I was checking my hotmail on my phone yesterday lunch and spotted an email in my junk mail folder from the 'Tax Office' saying I was due a tax rebate. Alarm bells started ringing then because they would usually send a cheque with a letter directly to your home (have done in the past anyway).

However, the email looked ''legit'' (i.e. not the usual .com emails these people use). It was something like ''[email protected]''
and because I have moved 3 times in last 2 years (nomad sticky lol) I waited until I got home to check as it's not easy on my phone etc. Plus, didn't want to risk hurting my phone which doesn't have the virus scanner etc...

On scanning the attachment (at home) my fears were shown true - virus! Plus, it asks for all your personal details in the email body before you click the attachment (didn't spot this on phone earlier in the day). All I can assume is they want you to fill in your details (ALL, including debit/credit card info and bank details) and then get hit with the virus which I assume would wipe trace of them from system in the mess it makes.

So be careful and make sure virus scanner is up to date people.

xoxox

Thanks Christina! I had this the other day and deleted it unread. I'm VERY careful where emails are concerned.

they covered this on radio 4 a couple of weeks ago and to just reinforce, the tax office do not communicate via e mail with anyone so if you do get something looking like it is from them, its a hoax so ignore it.

Thanks for that - will be on a look out xxx

I have had several of those - interesting, seeing as I haven't been a UK tax payer (I worked for an international organisation) for over 30 years!

I get lots pretending to be from banks that I have never banked with, asking me to update my security arrangements, and quite a few pretending to come from PayPal, which I do use because I buy stuff on eBay.

And I had one today asking if I would like to work as an agent for a company in the far east, processing all their UK payments through my bank account!

I didn't get this one personally, but one of my clients who I just did a tax return for sent me an e-mail with 2 attachments asking if it could be relevant.
I had no idea what she was referring to so clicked on the first one. It was blocked by my anti-virus checker saying it was someone trying to get bank details. The second one was a letter from "The Inland Revenue" saying that in order to get a tax refund the full return needed to be completed within 24 hours!
I responded to the lady that NO, it was not relevant and she should not click on anything as they never give 24 hours for anything, let alone a refund!
I honestly can say that one needs to use common sense when getting any e-mails regarding to money payouts of any kind. If it sounds too good to be true, it is!
Not only is it probably a virus, but a scam to drain funds!

Very timely warning - I did hear about this some time ago, but have never received one myself but will keep a look out now.

Back