Boiling Chicken

Sussex Beth

Hi

If i'm going to boil a chicken so that I can then strip it to use it for salads, curries, etc and the water/stock for soup would I need to take the skin off first before I boil it to keep the chicken syn free?

And, in relation to the water/stock for soup I have a fat separator jug which I would use, but I just want to check I could use it in soups for red or green days? without synning it.

Thanks

Beth

I can answer the second question with certainty, and the first ish!

Personally, I leave the skin on, and remove it once cooked. That said, it would probably be 'better' to remove the skin first if you can do so, and it wouldn't affect the way the bird boiled ;)

And yes, you can use the resulting stock syn free on all plans if you separate the fat off. I add an onion (chunky chopped but skin on for colour), few celery stalks, chopped carrot, 5 peppercorns, 2 cloves and a few parsley stalks to the water to give a tastier stock.

Gosh, I haven't boiled a chicken in years - but I often put a whole chicken in my slow cooker, and that cooks lovely and slow, and the meat is so tender too, to be eaten hot or cold.

Donnie, when you cook your chicken in the slow cooker, what do you put in with it? Stock? And if so how much?X

I boiled a chicken for the "old fashioned chicken soup" in the new cookbook - a first time for me! I removed the skin from the breast and legs and chopped the wings off, as instructed in the book.

It was lovely.

Donnie, when you cook your chicken in the slow cooker, what do you put in with it? Stock? And if so how much?X

Nothing! It will cook beautifully on its own.

Someone here suggested scrunching up 3 or 4 balls of foil to lift the chicken off the bottom of the dish and I have found this works very well - stops it sticking, and lifts the chicken out of the way of the stock and fat which accumulates.

Then I lift out the chicken - carefully, because it will be so tender that it falls to pieces - then pour off the stock, let it cool, then chill it. It turns to a lovely rich jellied stock, the fat will have risen to the surface and I just scrape that off and throw it out. The stock I then use in a soup or sauce.

Thanks Avisk!! Great advice! Is it OK to cook the chicken on the low setting (ie 8-9 hours)?X

I cooked a chicken in my slow cooker today and it was gorgeous, so moist and tasty. I cooked it on low temp for about 6 hours.....perfect.
Thanks to all the advice from above i had a tasty healthy tea :)

Back