Book Club

Hello Everyone,

I am still here, just had a very busy weekend and then was off sick yesterday.
Delighted to hear you finished the book Diva, so hurry up some of you and we can then discuss it.
I was reading another Douglas Kennedy book yesterday and it is super too.
We do have a very nice place in Galway to have coffee and read books, I love going there as can browse for ages, great for travel books especially.
Look forward to hearing from you.
Love Matty

Hi

Managed to get a copy today, had to pay full price but never mind. Quite a hectic weekend approaching but will make a start and would hope to finish in a week or so, quicker if I love it cos I'll just give up sleep!

Has a date been set for discussion?

Hi

Managed to get a copy today, had to pay full price but never mind. Quite a hectic weekend approaching but will make a start and would hope to finish in a week or so, quicker if I love it cos I'll just give up sleep!

Has a date been set for discussion?

Hi Cheb,

I paid full price too!!!

I have to make time to start reading it or I will be left behind:(

Love Mini xxx

Hello all

I've only just seen this thread, but would love to join as I love reading. As I'm late joining, I'll start from book 2 so not to hold you all up.

Just a few questions and thoughts.....

* How often will we start a new book? Once a month?
* How will we decide which book? Maybe a different member could choose each time, then we all get a chance to read different types of books that we may otherwise not have read.
* Will there be a date that we give our 'reviews' and start the discussion?

What are you thoughts?

Hi Jayne C,
Delighted to have you on board, I think it is a great idea that different members choose books, giving us good variety.
But now, I want to get started on the Book we are now supposed to be reading or have read.
Can we get the discussion going or do you all need more time, Let me know and we will set a date for discussion to begin.
And Jayne, you are not holding anyone up, so get the first book if you can.
Love Matty
x

Good for you Jayne and well done Hels.
How about we start our discussion on Monday evening, as I will be very busy at work on Monday.
So ya'll start reading this weekend now!
And I am really looking forward to talking to you all on Monday evening and hearing what you think of the book.
Have a fab weekend.
Love Matty
x

Hi folks, well I've just started reading the Lovely Bones when I was in a softplay with numerous kids. It's made me cry already! Oh dear! lol

Let me know if its any good. Didnt like the actual book cover (i know, i know) so it put me off buying it...

Ivy

Hi Matty,

I have to go out to the FIL, so sorry to miss the book club this evening, hope it goes well!

I will read all when I get back.

Thanks,

Love Mini xxx

Many apologies

Hello Everyone and I am really sorry, but couldn't discuss book yesterday evening, so you haven't missed anything and yes, we will discuss it on the book club thread.

My son is doing exams and is really sick so have been stressed, but will get to the book this evening, I don't have any meetings to go to, so hope to talk to you all then.

Matty

Hello Everyone,

Its Book Club discussion time, shall we discuss the first few chapters to give people a chance who are still reading it and not spoil the plot.
Some things to consider?
Given that the author is a man and the main character Sally is a woman, do you think his depiction believeable and compelling?
What do you think of the meeting up and the subsequent relationship between Sally and Tony before they decided to marry, did you think that would happen?
Was she really madly in love with him or was it just that she felt old enough to get married and settle down, a bit tired of her journalistic life?
The whole thing of being American in London, does he convey the loneliness of this especially as her husband is as foreign to her as the city.
Girlies, I don't want to give my own opinon at this point, but I have plenty! I just want to give others a chance to talk first. So please let me know what you think and do throw in any questions you would like.
Matty

I'd be really interested in joining you when you choose the next book, if that's ok.

I've recently finished reading The Time Traveller's Wife which I thoroughly enjoyed, once my brain had sorted out what was going on! I'm now reading Stephen King's "The Stand". As you can see, I don't really stick to any particular type of book, so I would look forward to trying someone else's choice/recommendation.

I felt his depiction of their whirlwind love affair was credible - what i didn't find quite so credible was her complete acceptance of her husbands behaviour and treatment of her when she is trying to settle in a foreign city. Given that she is a feisty american - something that is referred to subsequently in the book, i spent the chapters up until her breakdown not massively interested in the book because i was just left wondering why she put up with it!

Back