BordersGirl's Final Phase to Goal - I lost 6 stone!!

Very impressed by the pair of you - and also impressed by your bodies which have done the gargantuan work of shedding the poundage, taken a pause and are restarting. Really great role models!

This morning I am bemused. The scales dropped another 1.4lbs overnight making 2.6lbs in 2 days which for me is a minor miracle as I usually don't manage that in a whole week! I suppose you could say it's a mini whoosh and as I've never had anything really approaching a whoosh before other than after a break when I know that it's just my body going into ketosis it's a whole new experience for me. Week 41 and I get my first whoosh! :). So today I'm 1.8lbs off losing 6 stone, and 11.8lbs away from goal. I'm actually only 1.8lbs away from my original goal that I set at the start but decided to up that when I got closer to goal. My BMI is now in the 26s and 11.8lbs from being 'healthy', and I've also now lost a third of my starting body weight. Getting to goal is starting to feel like a reality now although now I'm starting to think that maybe I should just do an extra 6lbs so that I can get my Century badge. That might be a tad obsessive though :).

The other thing that has happened this week is that I have managed to go to the loo every single day. From someone who has had to use laxatives throughout this diet that's a whole new experience believe me! The only thing I've done differently is add in 2 bran crispbreads to the diet and I have drunk a lot more coffee this week than usual. I thought it was down to the crispbreads but someone told me that coffee can have a laxative effect too so I'm not sure. Either way I'm going to continue with both from now on. It certainly provides peace of mind to not have to take laxatives as they shouldn't really be used long term.

I was going to go on a shopping trip today as I have a day off and had planned to take a trip to Bravissimo for a bra fitting. I was also going to shop for clothes too but I have put the trip off as a. TOTM has hit this am and I feel bloated (and no doubt that will put a stop to the whoosh), and b. it's chucking down with rain. So I might go Sunday if I can be bothered. I need new work trousers as my current ones are starting to make a bid for freedom, a top for a hen do that I'm going to next weekend and a few work shirts as all of the current ones are starting to feel baggy. Now that I'm slimmer I don't do baggy :).

I am also definitely considering going for a consultation for a boob reduction. I can't get my boobs into the F cup bras that I was wearing last time I was this weight and slightly heavier so that tells me that things have got even more saggy than they were before. I really am considering a reduction and lift. Would love to be a C / D cup instead of a saggy G.

Yippeeee! I'm really starting to believe that some bodies are more stubborn than others and will hold on to that fat for dear life. But you've kept going and your body's getting the message that you mean business. Way to go girl!
And that century badge is rather tempting, isn't it! I have been eyeing it too..lol x

You should definitely go for it Maka - you can't stop at 98!! I think we've both proved that if you stick at this it does work, even when our bodies let the fat go at a snail's pace. It's a case of mind over matter quite often but I'm glad that we stuck with it and we've come through the other side.

Feeling crapola today. TOTM hit in a big way and my stomach feels like a football and crampy as hell. I didn't weigh this morning as I know it would be awful. I postponed my trip to the shops for new clothes and my bra fitting. No point in trying on clothes with a distended stomach! Might go tomorrow if my stomach has shrunk down a bit by then.

Today I ordered some samples of Whey Protein Shakes from MyProtein. I got one of each flavour that they had in stock to try. I am going to include some shakes in maintenance and what appealed about these was the fact that they are high in protein and low in fat and carbs so will help me keep my carb count down compared to the VLCD shakes. They're not MRPs of course but by the time I start using them I won't be on a VLCD anyway. In fact my calories are above the level of a VLCD during the weekend now anyway. I'm having up to 800 during the week and up to 1200 at the weekends. My eventual plan is to have 1200 during the week and 2000 or so at weekends so that I can have some wine etc. (not having alcohol just yet). I'm still keeping my carbs low at the moment to stay in ketosis but will step out of ketosis once I lose a few more pounds and see if I can lose the final few pounds via proper eating. I would like to be done by 8th August which is when I started the diet last year. A year to change my life. I feel that my life has changes already actually but it would be good to be 'done' by then.

For anyone interested here is the nutritional info of the protein shakes:

Per 25g: Energy: 98.3Kcal, Protein (as-is): 19.7g, Fat: 1.8g, Carbohydrates: 1.5g, Calcium: 125.0mg.

Never had a protein shake before. Wonder what they taste like compared to a S&S shake? Wonder if you can have them hot?​

I love the mantra : Now I'm slim, I don't do baggy'.

Most vlcds package up protein shakes so you may find a similar taste (or not!). You seem to have found a good one. I've also spied CarbThin protein powder which is egg protein - and in a drum with a scoop. CarbThin ZERO CARB Egg Protein Shake Mix - Chocolate | Low Carb Megastore Both yours and carbthin have high protein and low sugars/fat.

Glad you are on the move.

Ali

Yes Ali, I definitely prefer fitted stuff now :). Need to accentuate my figure now that I've actually got one :). Someone at work told me straight to get my arse down to Bravissimo for a bra fitting as I was wearing the wrong size (38FF) and she was so right. I was trying to leave it until I had reached goal but things were getting too loose and droopy. So I measured on at 34HH and they're now 'up and perky' as the fitter put it :). I could also buy a 32J but that was a bit breathing restricted. Clothes look much better now.

The protein shakes haven't arrived yet so I haven't tried them yet. The scales didn't cooperate brilliantly for me at WI. I was a pound lighter than this prior to the weekend but TOTM hit Friday am and I gained a pound that hasn't buggered off yet. So 11st 8.8lbs having been 7.8lbs last Fri am. Still a bit of a loss tho compared to last week.

So this Sunday I'm coming out of ketosis to attend a friend's hen night. Moulin rouged themed outfits that aren't really my thing but at least I can wear a skirt without feeling like a beached whale :). Must not drink too much, must not drink too much, must not .......... :D

Much more shapely pins to shake, BG, than this time last year. And look at that BMI going onwards and downwards! Just repeat after me: I love drinking sparkling water with a slice of lime whilst my friends are knecking champagne and cocktails....I love drinking sparkling water etc

Have fun!

Ali

Oh I know I'm having alcohol - 'tis all planned :). Just need to try not to have too much given that I have only had alcohol at Easter this year so am definitely out of practice.

Quite right!! I'll be having a break at 10 weeks to take my daughter on an AI holiday. I won't go mad, dont feel the need 'to get my money's worth', it's just easier with a 9 year old. You deserve it, you've has a fantastic weight loss.I've just started week 4 and am surprised I've managed to ignore the easter eggs, chocolate and crisps that are always around with a small child!

So, went off plan a bit earlier than planned last Thursday instead of Friday night. Intended to come out of ketosis on the Friday night a whole 24 hours before the hen do as I got pretty drunk last time I had a night off when I came out of ketosis the same morning and I wanted to try to ensure that didn't happen this time. My head kept bleating at me that I was having a break and I succumbed on the Thursday and it didn't seem overly worth getting back on plan for less than 24 hours so I didn't! Had alcohol on Friday night (3 medium glasses of wine) to ease myself into alcohol (ok, and to enjoy it too ;)). Let myself have exactly what I wanted to see what the damage might be each day. Wasn't brilliantly encouraging to be honest. I went way above my TDDE every single day and am recording it here in all its horror to concentrate the mind! Thursday after a heap of crap at work 2280, Friday with a day off and picking at 'stuff' plus alcohol 2638, Saturday, ie the day of the hen do with lots of alcohol 2856, Sunday still with alcohol but slightly better choices 1787. My eventual goal in maintenance is to try for 1200 calories during the weekdays leaving me with more (up to say 2000) for weekends so that I can have some treats and alcohol. I think my little off plan no holds (particularly) barred jaunt shows that my eating habits aren't exactly suggesting that I'm ready for maintaining in this way just yet. It won't take much to go over 1200 during the week and 2000 at weekends doesn't seem that doable when I add alcohol into the equation. For now though I'm back on track as of this morning (Monday) having put on half a stone coming out of ketosis and possibly some gain due to excess calories. Definitely food for thought for me. Just wish I didn't like food and alcohol so much!

I've been thinking a lot about alcohol .....probably because the girls were on belinis before dinner at the birthday party, and I love belinis....

I think there is something about the combo of alcohol and food for me. I also have decided that often I drank alcohol that was mediocre - wine that wasn't delicious or a cocktail that was just sweet not flavoursome. Some I am pondering that I will choose really good and great tasting alcohol - and have less. My social life doesn't really involve much alcohol - no nights at the pub or in a city wine bar anymore. I've also noticed how little my friend's drank on Friday night. So maybe this strategy will work for me.

I'm interested in what you said about your no holds barred eating habits. It doesn't surprise me - as our post goal way of eating and living will need to be a new one - perhaps with one no holds barred day a week or a fortnight - or even one meal, not a day. We are so close even though we've been on vlcds for months to the years of behaviour that led to us putting on weight. I do think some thinnies naturally self control. We, on the other hand, have consistently overridden any controls that we had. Some of us may never have had the 'I've eaten enough and will stop' control as we brought up to clear our plates and have healthy post war appetites.

And then there is the complex relationship between limitations and bingeing. How to have a way of eating that is satisfying and sustainable and enables us to stay at goal. So much to learn and sort out.

Best wishes for the next bit!

I was sitting with my friend who has also been on a VLCD and lost 6 stone and we were guzzling the alcohol. I do like wine I've decided. It doesn't even have to be particularly fantastic wine either, anything dry and cold does it for me. The skinnies sitting opposite us sipped on 1 glass of wine all evening. I know that a tendency to overeat / drink will always be within me. If I drink alcohol it also makes me feel hungry that has led to snacking in the past. Stopping this completely in maintenance just isn't going to happen as I do want my future to include alcohol, I just need to restrict it and make it a treat and not the norm. So back to weighing in this am I lost almost 3lbs in 2 days and am now 4.8lbs up from the previous week. I'm hoping to get that off by Monday but we shall see. Judging by the calories I consumed in just 4 days I could well have put on 1lb or 2 or genuine weight so it may take a little while to shed the whole lot. I can't go back to 100% packs only now though. I've just gone past the stage where I can manage that at the moment. I think I've just be dieting for too long and I'm starting to get weary of it. I will lose that final stone though - just might take me a little while!

BordersGirl said:
I was sitting with my friend who has also been on a VLCD and lost 6 stone and we were guzzling the alcohol. I do like wine I've decided. It doesn't even have to be particularly fantastic wine either, anything dry and cold does it for me. The skinnies sitting opposite us sipped on 1 glass of wine all evening. I know that a tendency to overeat / drink will always be within me. If I drink alcohol it also makes me feel hungry that has led to snacking in the past. Stopping this completely in maintenance just isn't going to happen as I do want my future to include alcohol, I just need to restrict it and make it a treat and not the norm. So back to weighing in this am I lost almost 3lbs in 2 days and am now 4.8lbs up from the previous week. I'm hoping to get that off by Monday but we shall see. Judging by the calories I consumed in just 4 days I could well have put on 1lb or 2 or genuine weight so it may take a little while to shed the whole lot. I can't go back to 100% packs only now though. I've just gone past the stage where I can manage that at the moment. I think I've just be dieting for too long and I'm starting to get weary of it. I will lose that final stone though - just might take me a little while!

It doesn't matter how long the journey takes as long as your heading in the right direction ;) xx

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

You have done amazingly hun, a break for a special occasion is all part of the plan. Carbs weight soon vanish!!

Bravissimo are awful but the only place I can get bras from too. Need a 28k, but finding the back size is tricky

Onwards and downwards for you, you've done amazing :)

You've come so far!!! A trur inspiration!! You'll be at goal in no time!!!

Its important to be slimmer and healthier but its also important to have a life!!! Lol...

I also fully intend to enjoy a good booze up or two when I'm at goal!!! I've missed too many!!! X

It's fascinating watching how thin people eat and live. At the cream tea at the spa last week, my friends had a cake or maybe two - sometimes sharing one with someone else. Then some had a scone, jam and cream - or maybe half. Old me would have had two or three whole cakes and at least one full scone and possibly two, with milk in my coffee and maybe sugar. So I would have celebrated with double or maybe triple the calories compared to my friends. I wonder if I can adopt their behaviour when I'm at target - or if I'll feed the need to evade such food offerings.

I'm different from you in terms of wine. I've realised I've drunk a load of unappealing wines - and think I'd prefer less and a better quality.

It makes sense to me, BG, to do the last bit integrating real food - and getting new supportive habits integrated. And in some way, it seems to me it should steady the metabolism too, and support increased exercise.

Fab to see you are officially 1/3 lighter and are moving gracefully (even if more slowly) towards that BMI of 25. As always, you rock!

Back down to 11st 11.6lbs this am, so 2.8lbs above where I got to before I took my break, and 3.8lbs up from my lightest ever weight, although that may have been a bit of a fluke as it appeared on the scales one morning never to be seen again :). I now have 10 days off work and I know that I'll struggle in the same way that I always struggle at the weekends. Trying to keep largely on track though for now, and low carbing when things get tough.

Wow ...3.8lbs from your low. Well that raises another question - do we have set points as Dr Dukan thinks? My target (set by one of the Alizonne GP) is around my university weight - but I think I'd like to go lower. But then I thought at 4.5 months in I could do Phase 1 forever!

Low carbing as needed sounds like a good plan. Have you seen this guy's blog? Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog Scroll down a little bit and you'll find a list of his current top paleo, low carb and health blogs, should you need a little web diversion to keep you out of trouble.

Back