Bought my yoghurt maker!

Memmsy

So I got the Lakeland one last night- and I've just eaten my first yog! Thanks scooter. Nice and mellow tasting - needs lots less sweetener than shop stuff. A little lumpy but I can work on that. Had to strain it for a couple of hours as it was pretty loose - but I took a good pint of whey off in the end. How sad am I - I actually got up at 7am on a Saturday to go and turn the yoghurt maker off!!! I'm mad.

How are you making it? Mines never lumpy it's nice and thick and never have to strain it!! Also secret is to out it on when you know nine and a half hours later you will be around - - I usually put it on at 8am therefore it's ready to turn off at tea time - you shouldn't have to strain it - let me know how you are making it

Definitely thinking about getting one of these. I'm spending a fortune on yogurts. Just a thought .... Could you not plug it into a timer? I do that with the slow cooker, just in case. I guess it wouldn't work if you need to do anything other than just turn it off though.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

I use my slow cooker to make yoghurt & it comes out ok.

Ok - so 1ltr skimmed uht - mircowaved for a minute, added 3 tbsp skimmed milk powder and 1 table spoon yeo valley green ( realised I should have bought blue but hey ho!) stirred it. In to machine left alone for 8 hours (this May be where I went wrong as scooter you mention 9.5 hours) there was a thick layer of yog on the top but underneath it was quite runny and there was a good amount of whey visible in the pot too. There were lumps but I'm wondering if it might have been my fault _ the powdered milk was a bit clumpy. It's still delicious so I'll tweak next time with your (very welcome) suggestions.... Away on work tomorrow so won't be able to try till Wednesday. Gutted!

Hi Memmsy - two things - first microwave your uht milk for two minutes not one - once microwaved then add skimmed milk powder and live yoghurt and stir gently - do not whisk - second thing is definitely the amount of time - the longer you leave it the thicker it gets - I find nine and a half hours is about right for me but if I'm not back in in time and it goes for 10 or more then its really thick - bit like set yoghurt - also if I take it off too early it's runny - I usually put mine on at around 8am leave it all day and then it's ready to turn off around 5.30pm - I'm sure your next batch will be perfect!!! I tried the slow cooker version before I bought my yoghurt maker but couldn't be bothered to mess around straining and testing temperatures - this is so easy - when its ready just take container out of machine, leave to cool then bang in the fridge - excellent every time - mine was on all day yesterday and I've another batch on today - I eat tons of it and it used to cost me a fortune. - not any more!! :)

Also just thought dont store your carton uht milk in the fridge it should be room temperature when you microwave it

Bloody well- just straining a batch now! The main problem is that it doesn't last very long. I like my yoghurt really thick so I do still strain it a bit. Saving a fortune, and pick up cartons do uht milk whenever I'm in a cheapy shop! Your tips have been invaluable. :)

Back