Bra advice??

Porgeous

Chilling
Hi there

Went to Rigby & Peller today to be refitted. My new size is a 30 E or F depending on brand/fit etc. However, the bra gives me really bad bulges at the front under my arms, I know this bit isn't technically my boobs but my current bra doesn't cause it and when I was previously fitted at Rigby's when I was 14stone I also didn't have the problem. I queried it with her and she said everyone gets that, is this right??

Gxx

you have big boobs - fact

:D

Thanks gang, sounds silly but I haven't ever worn an underwire bra before always preferred soft cup and wasn't sure if it was normal. I understand what she was saying, ie, it isn't my boobs that is bulging just skin and fat but at the same time assumed it was being caused by the bra being too small/tight. Going to go to Bravissimo for a fitting to see if they come up with the same size and then take it from there.

Gxx

oh don't be Becky that are like wibble wobble wibble wobble jelly on a plate!!

Gxx

I would go for a second opinion.... Bravissimo are excellent... I guess it would depend on the cut of the bra too... with bigger boobies ( I know I've got a couple meself...lol!) you need a fuller cup which comes up high under the arms..... says she feeling her own bra whilst typing....:eek:

oh don't be Becky that are like wibble wobble wibble wobble jelly on a plate!!

Gxx

Lmao Georgie, you're still lucky I'm down to a B cup now :wave_cry: bye bye boobies. Well I guess the grass is always greener on the other side, we always want what someone else has. Oh and I totally agree with everyone, your bra should fit perfectly, especially when getting professionally fitted! Get that second opinion :)

:D a favorite subject of mine :p From a male point of view ( Having never worn a bra in my life) a nice fitting one that shows off your true shape is much more attractive than one that looks like you have stuffed them in and they are trying to escape :D

I have big boobs, have always worn an underwired bra and they shouldn't allow you to bulge anywhere - get yourself back and tell them that the bra doesn't fit

I don't even get this problem with bras I have bought at Primark and paid £3 for!

I found M&S really good when I got measured last year. Like you Georgie, I'd never bothered with underwired bras when I was fat because I could never get them to fit properly. But now I wouldn't be without them! :D They make such a difference to how my clothes look on me. :D I went from a 40c to 36DD and my flesh never ever bulges out of the sides of the bras, I always make sure they're wide underneath the arms.

I am a trained bra fitter for M&S and have been doing it for 4 years.
I hate to say it but we are always trained to fit the bust into the bra and any spare skin/ hangover etc isnt our problem.
If it fits you correctly and your bust is in it she has probably got the right size- jut try a different style bra. each one fits differently. stick with the size she gave u- its unlikely that shes wrong- but just try a different style!
x

Can anyone who has had a 'proper' bra fitting tell me what they should fit like?

I remember having a fitting a couple of years ago and was amazed at how tight they are supposed to be across the back - felt like it was strangling me. Now my sis reckons M&S say you shouldn't be able to get two fingers under the band between the cups. I've shied off a fitting at the mo as every time I've tried M&S it seems to be staffed by what look like 10 year olds and one of them told me they do the fit 'visually' and take into account your height. I asked what the basic calculation of the measurement for a bra is and she hadn't got a clue what I was talking about.

This totally put me off as it sounds like guessing to me. I've brought a couple of new bras but I'm not convinced I'm wearing the right size. I'm wearing a 34A. I've only got small boobs now and have always worn plunge bras and I feel like I'm being strangled if the band between the cups isn't narrow or if they cover the whole boob (you know, like Playtex cross your heart bras). I tend to like wonderbras and similar stuff.

I did look up an internet site recently and going on what that said I should take a 34AA but most High Street stores don't cater for that size.

Any advice?

To be fair I was only 16 when I started- and I dont really think it makes a difference how old you are as we all recieved the same trainining. I must have measured over 1000 women and not one has been wrong- but you still get those people who ask for somebody else as you are so young.
the fact is, its really not rocket science and we know what we are doing.
Marks and Spencer do measure visually and I have been there when the transition to measuring with a tape- visually happened and in my opinion its much more hygenic and effective.
There was women complaining that they was being touched too much- the measuring tapes got dirty easily and quite frankly this way just covers their back.
We are sent on a 3 day training course anually and have to meausre women of all shapes and sizes! It really isnt dependent on how old/ young the fitter is.
xxx

Kellie,

How do they do it visually? Do you just stand in your current bra and they look at you and guess your bra size and ask you your height? Do they do it by asking what size bra you are wearing at the time and make adjustments for anything wrong with the fit of it?

Also, I'd just like to point out that I'm not against young Assistants at all but this one had absolutely no idea what I was talking about when I asked about the basic bra measurement. She looked at me like I was a bloody alien and quite frankly I do think she should know about this even if it isn't the way they do things there any more. She was clearly lacking in confidence and experience in communicating with the general public and there is no way she would have instilled any confidence that I would be fitted with the correct sized bra.

There is a basic way of measuring the size by measuring under the bust (and then adding on a certain amount of inches depending on whether the number is odd or even) and then determining the cup size by the difference between this measurement and the measurement around the cups.

Oh well, perhaps I'll try another M&S branch for a fitting - they have a mint green 'invisible' bra that I've just got to have!

Back