brand new and still crinkly

Several years ago I had joined a weight loss forum that really helped with motivation and support. But when the atmosphere changed alot of my friends and network support left for other forums. I also lost motivation and when I thought of returning a few times, I'd found they'd even changed the site to one not as user friendly to save money.

So today I'm at a crossroads in my life where I really am unhappy with my weight more than I've ever been. It's affecting every aspect and holding me back from even doing every day things, let alone have fun.

So I've come looking for a new place to call home, and I find myself here and excited about the amount of activity on this forum. But also a bit overwhelmed at the sheer amount of categories and no sure where to start.

I noticed that "Slimming World" has 1/3 of people on right now but I don't belong to Slimming World nor can I afford to pay for it right now.....is that something I could still join?

Also I'm from the U.S. and wondered there are people from everywhere here or if it's predominantly European?

I also wondered if I have to have a certain amount of posts to use the shoutbox...there doesn't seem to be a type bar. And I guess I'm still waiting to see if I can plug in here and make friends but seems I've got 22 views and no replies ;/ I really did mean it when I said I have no clue where to start when there's a zillion forum categories and seems even more than one place to start a personal journal/diary.

Hello, I'm new too :)

I've been a member of a few forums and the newbie section can get a bit overlooked. Don't take it to heart. As for not being able to pay for SW right now. You can still follow the plan so I would head over to the section if that's something you want to do x

Ah ty, I didn't necessarily want to start SW...I don't even know what it is. But it does seem to be where a huge part of the forum activity is at.

I don't know much about it, but I think you have 'red' and 'green' days on it. Not sure if the red days are meat days and the green are veg or what... it does seem to get good results though!

Ok now I'm discouraged...this site is so strict. I can't even start a weight loss journal here until I'm a full member, and I don't know if that's 20 or 50 posts. I realize that spammers come to websites like this for their own agendas but those people can just spam 20 posts pretty easy. I'm a legitimately new person and I'm not going to spam for status but honestly you guys should rethink this. Weightloss journals/diaries are how any new person plugs into a weight loss forum and becomes part of the community. You could at least give us newbies our own spot then let us move to the other section later.

Anyway I've only had one welcome, and I'm sure that's mostly because this forum is so dang big who can keep track? But like I said there's so many categories here, and I keep getting met with the same red type every time I log in...the over all affect is me feeling unwelcome and like I'll have to push to make a place for myself. And I'm having to push in enough areas of my life right now as it is.

You may write me off as just a complainer but this is an outside new person's perspective and I'm sure I'm not the first one to feel this way. Maybe you will take that into account and simplify some of this but in the meantime I think I need to go to one of the other sites I found where I can be welcomed in and be a member now.

Last edited:
Hey, welcome to the site, don't get disheartened at the site yet, it is a bit of a pain to navigate but you will get used to it if you persevere. As for privileges you do need 50 post but once you start wondering round asking questions etc you will soon rack them up.
I do Slimming world and its a really great plan to follow, there are 3 plans, red (original) - which allows more meat and restricts carbs, green - which is great for carb lovers and extra easy which is what I follow and is a recent addition. Basically all foods are categorised into one of 3, free foods, superfree and syns. Superfree is the same on all plans, free food is dependant on which plan you following and syns are mainly the naughty stuff but includes things off plab so to speak ie extra carbs on a red day. The idea of plans, whichever you follow is to have at least a third of your plate superfree (superfree food are most fruit and veg). There is a bit more to it but I'm on my phone and its a bit of a pain to type but if you pop over to the slimming world section I'm sure there will be people about to answer your questions. A lot of people will just follow the plan from home, you can also do it online but I personally need the group to keep me focused and its my only real expense for myself - my main adult activity during the week as I have 2 young boys (1 & 3)... Says something when your main social activity is slimming lol.
Hoe much are you looking to lose? Anyway, good luck. Hope to see you around the boards!

Back