breakfast or no breakfast?

muffinandsam

Hi Everyone!

I only joined SW yesterday morning, but I feel like I'm doing pretty well so far. I made the free chicken curry last night which was really lush!

I don't often have breakfast due to the school run-rush, and am quite happy waiting until lunchtime. This morning though I decided to have breakfast as somebody in the group said its important. But despite having one weetabix, a slice of ham and a hard boiled egg, I was STARVING by 10am, so much so that my Mum questioned the noises coming from my tummy!
Should I skip breakfast?

No you shouldn't skip breakfast. The fact that you were hungry come 10am is a good thing because it means your metabolism is up and running and burning calories. Burning calories is good lol :)

i always ahve breakfast at 8am then a snack at 1030, definatly helps =] cereal bars are good for when your on the go and bananas. =]

So feeling hungry is good? lol ok, breakfast it is! Thanks x

Having breakfast every morning will kick start your metabolism so even if it’s a hifi bar or a piece of fruit it is really important to have something. Soon enough it will become habit :)

I just have fruit, but I am relatively new to both this forum and SW, so I don't know yet if that will work for me in the long-run. I am still working out the kinks.

I also struggle with breakfast, not because of time, but because I just plain don't like most of the foods on offer. I'm not a huge egg person, I hate sausage, there are very few cereals I'll eat. It's the hardest meal of the day, for sure.

But you don't have to have conventional breakfast things just because it happens to be breakfast time. There's no law says you have to have cereals, or eggs, or sausages. You can have anything you like as long as it fits in with the plan. I know what my breakfast will be tomorrow - cold boiled potatoes and some tomatoes. This is because that's all there is in the fridge until I get round to doing some shopping. Be imaginative!

I sometimes have breakfast and sometimes don't. It all depends on what I am doing during the day. My personal view is that it doesn't make any difference at all. I know that this goes against all conventional wisdom!!! I also don't believe that my metabolism needs kickstarting. Whatever that is.

I think breakfast is important but not essential...sometimes I don't get to have my breakfast until 12 due to sorting out my baby with her feeds and stuff! Which then means its brunch not brekkie! Lol

I do think breakfast makes a difference, I've known people who didn't eat breakfast but started having something small first thing as they couldn't eat a big meal as soon as they got up and then something else later if they needed it and they started noticing they were loosing more

When I get up I have a cuppa, then I really am starving and looking at the cat, fork in hand!!! Love my porridge,banana, and pink grapefruit!

I couldnt leave the house in the mornings without having breakfast(cereal or sw fry) and a cuppa! Especially my cup of tea. But everyone is different and I say just do what you feel comfortable doing :)

I have all my meals around my training, thats what works for me. I get up and do 30+minutes on the exercise bike before i do anything else, have a shower get ready for work then have my breakfast about 6:45. I then dont eat again until 5-5:30pm and have a massive meal then i do my training between 6:30-10:00pm (not for that long but inbetween those hours) then have another biggish meal after, which would be high protein and no starchy carbs (potatoe,rice,pasta) but plenty of veg. I dont eat during the day as im not hungry and im sat down for most of it and dont exert much energy. I like eat plenty around my training to fuel my evening workouts.

Might sound weird eating after 10pm at night but it defo works for me as i have lost weight every week this year, obviously i have only been eating like this for the last few of months (as the training as intensified) as i seem to be more intune with what my body needs nowadays.

Totally agree with you on this.:)

I get up at 6am and sometimes don't eat until 12pm or sometimes I will have something as soon as I get up.And I've still managed to loss weight be it not on Slimming World.I eat when my body tells me to.
Why eat just because the clock says it's breakfast,lunch,dinner time.
If you don't fancy eating until 10am don't.If you fancy soup,fry up or a sandwich at 10am eat it.As long as it fits in with your plan do it.

As for you need breakfast to get your metabolism working in the morning to me it's a load of tosh.

You are probably right, but it's one of those 'good lies', essentially it is sensible to have something to eat, breaking your nights fast, even if your not hungry. This is because you are in control and you are able to choose something healthier. If you skip breakfast for most people it means they are so hungry by mid day that the satiate their demands by eating more than they normally would or something sweeter/fattier, and the urgency is much greater. A recipe for poor choices.

If you are sure that you won't make poor choices at lunchtime it's ok to skip, but having a regular breakfast is a good habit to get into.

I have my 42grams of all bran with a chopped up banana and skimmed milk every day.

Having got settled into my new work routine I am going to be controversial here....if I have breakfast early, I end up starving all day and it doesn't generally work for me. Last week I didn't eat other than maybe a piece of fruit until lunchtime. Had a great on plan week. Today for the first time in ages I decided that rather than grab some fruit I would sit down around half 9 and eat breakfast and I've been so hungry ever since I've gone well off plan today. Whilst breakfast for me is in theory a good idea, in reality I've realised I'm better waiting till lunch, then having something extra between dinner and bedtime.

ScarlettStar86 said:
Having got settled into my new work routine I am going to be controversial here....if I have breakfast early, I end up starving all day and it doesn't generally work for me. Last week I didn't eat other than maybe a piece of fruit until lunchtime. Had a great on plan week. Today for the first time in ages I decided that rather than grab some fruit I would sit down around half 9 and eat breakfast and I've been so hungry ever since I've gone well off plan today. Whilst breakfast for me is in theory a good idea, in reality I've realised I'm better waiting till lunch, then having something extra between dinner and bedtime.

I'm exactly the same but I try and eat something about 10am as recently I've been that rushed I'm not even getting a chance to have lunch!!

Back